Windows 10: issue with deleting duplicate Desktop folder

Discus and support issue with deleting duplicate Desktop folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Howdy folks! I am new to tenforums, having my normal residence at sevenforums. But I'm attempting to help my wife with her fairly new (June) Asus Tuf... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by miztrniceguy, Jan 1, 2021.

1. issue with deleting duplicate Desktop folder

Howdy folks!

I am new to tenforums, having my normal residence at sevenforums. But I'm attempting to help my wife with her fairly new (June) Asus Tuf laptop with Win10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.1256, AMD Ryzen7, 16GB RAM

She somehow ended up with 2 Desktop folders showing under ThisPC and no Pictures folder. I ran the program listed in the tutorial in this forum
    ( Add or Remove Folders from This PC in Windows 10)

to merge the 2 Desktop folders. Now it shows only 1 in ThisPC and still 2 in Users\ebeet (my wife initial and part of last name).

The icons for the 2 in her Users folder both correctly show a computer screen and in properties says Desktop. The 1 listed under ThisPC has a Pictures icon although in Properties on General Tab it says Desktop. But when you go to Location Tab it says for Target location C:\Users\ebeet\Pictures.

So the Regedit file removed the duplicate listing in the File Tree but things aren't right. Trying to change the location in Properties didn't work.

I've attached a snip to show both folders.

Any suggestions on a solution would be helpful, and thanks in advance! happy New Year to ya!
    Michael

:)

miztrniceguy, Jan 1, 2021

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused issue with deleting duplicate Desktop folder :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well issue with deleting duplicate Desktop folder :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Jan 1, 2021
  3. Duplicate Public Folders

Hi,

To further identify the cause of this problem, can you provide us the following information?

• What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
    • Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?

Regards.

Engelsen Fad, Jan 1, 2021
  4. issue with deleting duplicate Desktop folder

Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Jan 1, 2021
Thema:

issue with deleting duplicate Desktop folder

1. issue with deleting duplicate Desktop folder - Similar Threads - issue deleting duplicate

2. Sort and Delete Duplicate Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort and Delete Duplicate Folders: Hi there!I have about 3500 folders in one directory which I recently renamed with Bulk Rename Utility ....BUT ... I screwed up and now have duplicates of nearly all 3500 folders folder content have been duplicated too.It now looks something like this ...3423 - JOHNSON KS 3423...
  3. Sort and Delete Duplicate Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort and Delete Duplicate Folders: Hi there!I have about 3500 folders in one directory which I recently renamed with Bulk Rename Utility ....BUT ... I screwed up and now have duplicates of nearly all 3500 folders folder content have been duplicated too.It now looks something like this ...3423 - JOHNSON KS 3423...
  4. Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop: Hello,Surprisingly, since yesterday, there is a duplicate folder of my user:/profile on the desktop. The files in it are the same as in my C:\Users folder and I am afraid, deleting the folder from the desktop will delete the C:\Users folder too.Can someone help?Regards,Arup...
  5. Duplicate user folder on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate user folder on desktop: I recently reinstalled windows 10 21H1 because I had some system file corruption. After I was sure everything was ok I removed Windows.old using the remove function in settings/storage/temp files. I noticed that there is a folder on my desktop with my user name. It is the...
  6. Delete multiple duplicate folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete multiple duplicate folders: I dont know where to post this question, but maybe there is a windows trick that would help me with my problem: So I downloaded 3 modpacks and added all in a mods folder, and it summed 3250 mods and assets files, but I see that many of those files are repeated. How do I...
  7. Duplicate Desktop Folder in Pictures Folder and OneDrive - which, when deleted, wipes out...

Duplicate Desktop Folder in Pictures Folder and OneDrive - which, when deleted, wipes out...: I have duplicate Desktop folders in Pictures folder and OneDrive folder which also contains duplicates of other major folders, even though I switched off OneDrive sync. The type is shown as File folder, so it is definitely not a shortcut. I am sure the Desktop folder occupies...
  8. Duplicate USB to desktop folder?

Duplicate USB to desktop folder?: I'm trying to create a folder that contains an exact duplicate of my USB that updates its contents every time files are changed/updated/added within the USB. This is basically just a backup of my USB that stays on my laptop. At the moment I just have a shortcut to my USB in...
  9. Cannot Delete a Duplicated Folder

Cannot Delete a Duplicated Folder: I used an installer to install a game on my Games folder. The game didn't appear on my folder, and once i moved my original folder to a different location a new games folder appeared and the new installed game was right there. I deleted the game, but the folder could not be...
  10. How to delete duplicate system folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete duplicate system folders?: I think I downloaded a .reg file from internet that created double system folders in my computer but I can't remember. They seem to be an extra music, videos, documents, pictures and downloads folder but I cannot put any files in the folder. Anyone know how to delete them?...