Windows 10: Issue with file explorer and desktop

Discus and support Issue with file explorer and desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently my Dad bought a new laptop with windows 10, an Acer. Everything has been smooth until recently he has had some issues with opening file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chris01234, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Issue with file explorer and desktop

Recently my Dad bought a new laptop with windows 10, an Acer. Everything has been smooth until recently he has had some issues with opening file explorer.

1) He couldn't open the file explorer in the task bar
    2) When he right clicked on the background, the loading sign came up and stayed there.

When I played with it for a bit everything started working again with the file explorer opening up several windows. However when I restarted the computer the same thing happened.

As an experiment, I created a new folder in the background and I was able to access the file explorer that way but not through the task bar.

Any suggestions are appreciated Issue with file explorer and desktop :)

:)

Chris01234, Jan 23, 2020
  2. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Jan 23, 2020
  3. file explorer and desktop icons wont open

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. Don’t worry. We will assist to resolve this issue.

We got reports/feedback that we are seeing some issues where the desktop icons is non-responsive. Please try the following steps and check if it resolves the file explorer and desktop icon issue:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task.
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges
    • Type PowerShell.
    • Type the following in the PowerShell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
    • Close the PowerShell window.
    • Reboot.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to follow the suggestion given by DrTarr1962 on the below mentioned thread and check if it helps:

Windows 10 file explorer crashes explorer.exe

Let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jan 23, 2020
  4. Issue with file explorer and desktop

File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

Issue with file explorer and desktop

1. Issue with file explorer and desktop - Similar Threads - Issue file explorer

2. File explorer issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer issue: When i open my laptop one file named user is automatically selected and keeps stopping other files to open.And when i opened file explorer multiple files already selected automatically and keep stopping other files to open....
  3. File Explorer issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer issue: I have an issue where two but not all of my local drives appear in File Explorer as separate entries in their own right, in addition to appearing as part of "This PC".This becomes more confusing when "This PC" is expanded as these drives appear duplicated and seemingly out of...
  4. File Explorer Issues

File Explorer Issues: I recently updated to Windows 11, and so far I have not had many issues. Except for one persistent issue. Whenever I open File Explorer, all of my files are there. But, when I open the file explorer to add a file to a program, my files just aren't there. I have tried most if...
  5. File Explorer Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Issues: I recently updated to Windows 11, and so far I have not had many issues. Except for one persistent issue. Whenever I open File Explorer, all of my files are there. But, when I open the file explorer to add a file to a program, my files just aren't there. I have tried most if...
  6. File Explorer Issues

File Explorer Issues: Could someone please help me? All I'm trying to do is turn on my search indexing so I can get File Explorer to work properly. I'm running Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2. My OS build is 22621.160. I have tried to delete and rebuild the index, but to no avail. I have also tried...
  7. The file explorer issue

The file explorer issue: The file explorer wont let me save any picture in other format then webp this started 2 days ago i cant anymore save to png or jpg etch where do i change this so i can save in the format the picture is like png etch .Tried 8 different browsers it has to be a setting on the...
  8. File Explorer Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Issues: Over the last 2 weeks, whenever I attempt to open a .mov or .mp4 file, File Explorer immediately shuts down and I cannot access any of these files. My computer is up to date and all updates are current. Is some some glitch going on with File Explorer?...
  9. File Explorer Issue

File Explorer Issue: Hello This has been going on for quite a while, but I'm finally frustrated enough to look for a solution. I'm trying to go through and delete files that I no longer need. Every time I scroll through the files on File Explorer, it keeps snapping back to an earlier file,...
  10. File Explorer issue

File Explorer issue: When opening a folder/file in File Explorer from the Quick Access items, File Explorer (sometimes, but not always) will open up the tree under "This PC". This often takes me to sub-sub-sub-folders of the Quick Access item, and because the tree is so large, my Quick Access...