Windows 10: Issue with file explorer search results content view

Discus and support Issue with file explorer search results content view in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have an issue with the Windows search function. When I searched for file contents on a local machine, and go to the contents view I can see the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavidsonDF, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Issue with file explorer search results content view

I have an issue with the Windows search function. When I searched for file contents on a local machine, and go to the contents view I can see the preview of the content in the search result like so;

Issue with file explorer search results content view e49cbe59-ea73-43bb-bcd0-59a3a685bb44?upload=true.jpg

but when I try this on a network drive, the content preview is missing, like this...

Issue with file explorer search results content view 2380a0df-ec53-4667-84cc-bdd9475fca34?upload=true.jpg

Indexing and the folder type are both set correctly on the local and network drives. This is a feature some of users rely on really heavily, so I am absolutely desperate for an answer here.

:)

DavidsonDF, Dec 5, 2019

2. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 5, 2019
  3. How do I change the default view for Windows 10 File Explorer search results?

After visiting several Windows 10 'Help' forums, I managed to fix the problem without help in any forum, by experimentation:

• Open Windows Explorer and write anything in the search box and hit enter (the search results are in Content view)
    • Manually set the search results in view format that you want (using right-click, View ―> Layout options, or whatever)
    • Click on the View tab and select Options on the far right and click on the Change folder and search options
    • Select the Search tab and add any option (say, Include compressed files) and click on Apply
    • Close Options panel, close Windows Explorer and reopen. Repeat step 1 and voil , the view format of your search results is back the way you like it. You can repeat steps 3 and 4 to undo the change you made to the Search options.
    Now, I haven't rebooted, but if it doesn't stick after a reboot, I'll come back for a slice of humble pie.

Paul

Paul_Saute, Dec 5, 2019
  4. Issue with file explorer search results content view

Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

Issue with file explorer search results content view

1. Issue with file explorer search results content view - Similar Threads - Issue file explorer

2. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu search shows no results for file contents: Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via...
  3. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Cortana
    Start menu search shows no results for file contents: Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via...
  4. Windows Explorer - search file contents?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer - search file contents?: I hate to point out something Mac does better, but... when I do a regular system search for a string, like "Events data updates every 2 mintues.\nSeconds since last" OS X will pull up every file with that exact string in its contents. When I try to search something like that...
  5. How to view more contents when searching in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to view more contents when searching in file explorer?: Hi everyone, I'm new to this, so please bear with me. We run Windows 10 at work and I am having issues with search results in file explorer. Before we upgraded to Windows 10, when the search results would show up I could see the contents below the name of the document...
  6. No Instant Search Result in File Explorer

No Instant Search Result in File Explorer: When searching in file explore search results are displayed right below the search bar in a list, but only when you hit Enter, the complete result is displayed. How do i restore it so i have Instant Search Results. Verson: 1909 OS Build: 18363.535...
  7. File Explorer Search for File Content

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search for File Content: I wanted to share this information with others because I have not seen it provided. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and I found that when I did a file search in file explorer, I could not find files based on a search of a word in the text of the file's content. I...
  8. File Explorer doesn't search on file contents

File Explorer doesn't search on file contents: I can't get File Explorer to search on file contents using Windows 10 Pro. I have checked all the search settings I am aware of without success....
  9. Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer

in Cortana
    Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer: Results show up in "Content" view by default, which is annoying for me and quite a few folks. To set the default view to "Details", add this registry key and values in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\...
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...