Windows 10: Issue with file explorer

Discus and support Issue with file explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I go to file explorer to copy or move a file from one folder to another, it immediately closes (crashes). If I open and run sfc /scannow as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kenkadish, May 4, 2016.

1. kenkadish Win User

Issue with file explorer

When I go to file explorer to copy or move a file from one folder to another, it immediately closes (crashes). If I open and run sfc /scannow as administrator, it will work just fine until the computer is rebooted. Scaanow does not even have to complete running; just opening it seems to do the trick. I just tried again by just opening the dos prompt as administrator, and even without running scannow, it works just fine.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Works just fine on my laptop also running windows 10 64 bit.

Windows 10, 64 bit.

Thanks...

:)

kenkadish, May 4, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, May 4, 2016
  3. Issue with File Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community.

I will surely help you with this.

I would suggest you to try the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: System maintenance troubleshooter.

System Maintenance troubleshooter looks for unused files and shortcuts that you can clean up or remove so that your computer can run faster.

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar and open it.

2. Click on view all on the left pane

3. Run the system maintenance troubleshooter and follow the on screen instructions.

If that doesn't help, please proceed to the next method.

Method 2: Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot"
    in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

I would also suggest you to update all available windows update and install all the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Do get back to us with the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Deepak Krishnan R, May 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Issue with file explorer

Hi, have a look through this thread- read right through noting the various suggestions/thing that helped and see if any match your situaiton.
    File Explorer keeps crashing - Windows 10 Forums

Otherwise:
    a. Does it happen in Safe Mode?
    b. After a clean boot?
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums
    c. If you install Shellexview (free), hide all MS extensions, disable the rest?

And finally if you look at Reliability History (Type 'reli' in Cortana's search bar) are there any helpful fault reports?

dalchina, May 4, 2016
Thema:

Issue with file explorer

1. Issue with file explorer - Similar Threads - Issue file explorer

2. File explorer issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer issue: When i open my laptop one file named user is automatically selected and keeps stopping other files to open.And when i opened file explorer multiple files already selected automatically and keep stopping other files to open....
  3. File Explorer issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer issue: I have an issue where two but not all of my local drives appear in File Explorer as separate entries in their own right, in addition to appearing as part of "This PC".This becomes more confusing when "This PC" is expanded as these drives appear duplicated and seemingly out of...
  4. File Explorer Issues

File Explorer Issues: I recently updated to Windows 11, and so far I have not had many issues. Except for one persistent issue. Whenever I open File Explorer, all of my files are there. But, when I open the file explorer to add a file to a program, my files just aren't there. I have tried most if...
  5. File Explorer Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Issues: I recently updated to Windows 11, and so far I have not had many issues. Except for one persistent issue. Whenever I open File Explorer, all of my files are there. But, when I open the file explorer to add a file to a program, my files just aren't there. I have tried most if...
  6. File Explorer Issues

File Explorer Issues: Could someone please help me? All I'm trying to do is turn on my search indexing so I can get File Explorer to work properly. I'm running Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2. My OS build is 22621.160. I have tried to delete and rebuild the index, but to no avail. I have also tried...
  7. The file explorer issue

The file explorer issue: The file explorer wont let me save any picture in other format then webp this started 2 days ago i cant anymore save to png or jpg etch where do i change this so i can save in the format the picture is like png etch .Tried 8 different browsers it has to be a setting on the...
  8. File Explorer Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Issues: Over the last 2 weeks, whenever I attempt to open a .mov or .mp4 file, File Explorer immediately shuts down and I cannot access any of these files. My computer is up to date and all updates are current. Is some some glitch going on with File Explorer?...
  9. File Explorer Issue

File Explorer Issue: Hello This has been going on for quite a while, but I'm finally frustrated enough to look for a solution. I'm trying to go through and delete files that I no longer need. Every time I scroll through the files on File Explorer, it keeps snapping back to an earlier file,...
  10. File Explorer issue

File Explorer issue: When opening a folder/file in File Explorer from the Quick Access items, File Explorer (sometimes, but not always) will open up the tree under "This PC". This often takes me to sub-sub-sub-folders of the Quick Access item, and because the tree is so large, my Quick Access...