Windows 10: Issue with files on Second internal HDD. Could be permission related?

Discus and support Issue with files on Second internal HDD. Could be permission related? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I heard of there being an issue with permissions in a recent update of windows 10 I currently have 1909 and I have been having this strange issue on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thermalzombie, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Issue with files on Second internal HDD. Could be permission related?

Hi I heard of there being an issue with permissions in a recent update of windows 10 I currently have 1909 and I have been having this strange issue on my internal HDD that I use for downloads and games.

Some videos will not open with certain video applications such as vidcoder a handbrake clone or other software. I noticed in mediainfo a program to view specifications or a video file that the paths were strange here is a example.

\?\D:\folder\file.mkv - also shows in windows file properties.

I have never seen this before and also noticed if I view the file properties the box for read only was greyed out it has since changed to a while box. I read a post online saying to change security properties for the drive and I gave user accounts full control so not sure if that fixed that issue but the path is still the same as above not sure how to fix this.

This is a recent problem in case people think I have a weird setup I have a laptop that I replaced the optical drive with a HDD and I use for downloads and games. The laptop had windows 7 when I upgraded the storage I put windows 10 pro 1803 clean install and have had no issues since.

Has anybody seen this files path issue before is it related to windows 10 file permissions? Cant really think of any other issues I have had I do remember that my laptop rebooted 3 times during 1909 update.

Thanks for the reply

:)

thermalzombie, Jan 3, 2020

2. Issues related to File permissions with error 0x80070522

Hello John,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience.

We understand the frustration when things don't go the way they supposed to. Let me assist you.

To be able to understand the issue better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• Did this issue occur recently or rather abruptly after Windows 10 upgrade? did you make any changes prior to the issue?
    • Have you checked if the same issue occurs when you log in to Windows using a different user account?
    • Are you using a Standard user account or a Administrator user account?
    • Which edition of Windows 10 are you using?

Now, a problem that prevents you from accessing or working with files and folders can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• The folder ownership has changed
    • You do not have the appropriate permissions
    • The file is encrypted
    • The file is corrupted
    • The user profile is corrupted

If you recently upgraded your computer to Windows 10 from an earlier version of Windows, some of your account information may have changed. Therefore, you may no longer have ownership of some files or folders.

This time instead of the drive attributes, I suggest you to check if the file attributes of the html file you are referring to are set correct

• Press and hold or right-click the file, and then click Properties.
    • Tap or click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

Reference:

Access Denied" error message when accessing or working with files and folders

If it still does not help, I suggest you to enable the built in administrator account and check if you are able to make the changes.

You need to run the command from an elevated command prompt. To do that you need to do the following:

• Press the Windows key + R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box
    • Enter cmd and right-click on the Command Prompt result that should appear.
    • This opens a list of options at the bottom. Select Run as administrator there.
    • Accept the UAC prompt
    • Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes

Write to us with the updated status and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 3, 2020
  3. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jan 3, 2020
  4. Issue with files on Second internal HDD. Could be permission related?

Permission issues

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the files.

You can fix this using these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 3, 2020
Thema:

Issue with files on Second internal HDD. Could be permission related?

1. Issue with files on Second internal HDD. Could be permission related? - Similar Threads - Issue files Second

2. Permission related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permission related: Can anybody tell me what is created owner permission in windows properties, does it a build in permission of windows. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-related/9804b6e1-331d-4a59-b291-5f41ca592c8d
  3. Internal HDD having some issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal HDD having some issues: Roughly a month ago I bought a PC second hand. Before buying it it appeared to run just fine and it continued to do so once I had it set up at my place. The computer came with 2 hard drives, a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. Upon starting to download some software and other items I...
  4. Internal HDD having some issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal HDD having some issues: Roughly a month ago I bought a PC second hand. Before buying it it appeared to run just fine and it continued to do so once I had it set up at my place. The computer came with 2 hard drives, a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. Upon starting to download some software and other items I...
  5. Internal HDD having some issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Second internal HDD not showing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second internal HDD not showing in Windows 10: I had to re-install Windows 10 on one of my PCs, but now the 2nd internal drive isn't showing in the drive list in "This PC", nor is Windows recognizing the drive in Device Manager or Disk Management...BUT... it still shows in BIOS, and when I remove the drive and install it...
  7. Second internal HDD not showing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second internal HDD not showing in Windows 10: I had to re-install Windows 10 on one of my PCs, but now the 2nd internal drive isn't showing in the drive list in "This PC", nor is Windows recognizing the drive in Device Manager or Disk Management...BUT... it still shows in BIOS, and when I remove the drive and install it...
  8. Second internal HDD not showing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Can a Desktop be created on a second internal HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can a Desktop be created on a second internal HDD?: On Win 10 Home my Dell desktop has an internal 128 GB SSD (C drive) and a 1TB standard HDD (D drive). Wondering if it is possible to somehow create a desktop for the 1 TB drive as documents, photos, videos and other storage hogs will be on it. Dell tech support (if I was...
  10. Will reinstalling windows delete files on a second internal HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will reinstalling windows delete files on a second internal HDD?: After experiencing several issues, I decided to finally bite the bullet and do a complete fresh install of my windows 10 PRO. My question is, if I am doing this complete fresh install (by deleting all my files and basically starting from scratch) will it delete any files...