Windows 10: Issue with games that dont use HDR but HDR enabled in Windows Display settings

Discus and support Issue with games that dont use HDR but HDR enabled in Windows Display settings in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have not tried all games yet, so far Titanfall 2 and DOOM (OGL and Vulkan) both have issues with having HDR enabled in Windows and running native 4k.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by GeorgeBRak, Sep 7, 2018.

1. GeorgeBRak Win User

Issue with games that dont use HDR but HDR enabled in Windows Display settings

I have not tried all games yet, so far Titanfall 2 and DOOM (OGL and Vulkan) both have issues with having HDR enabled in Windows and running native 4k. The colors get all messed up. In TF2 most of the whites get replaced with black or purple and sometimes the white parts of the screen flicker. In DOOM the blacks get replaced with green. Since i had a custom res of 3840x2159 set in the nvidia cp ( because of wolfenstein 2), i set both games to that res and the colors went back to normal. So it seems if the game does not support HDR and you run at native res, you will have issues (?). Games that do support HDR work just fine (far cry 5, forza 7, bf1).

Another note:

This maybe specific to me but ill post it anyway. I use a Sony x900E as my display. It has color/display modes (generic, game, etc). I notice that the color issue is not preset with HDR@4k when the mode is Generic (its called Desktop mode in the nvidia cp).

As im writing this, i remembered that GTA 5 did not have an issue, and im realizing the common denominator here: TAA. I dont have TAA enabled in GTA 5. I wonder if that is the issue since DOOM and TF2 use TAA (temporal anti-aliasing). I will go back and try disabling TAA in those games and report back.

:)

GeorgeBRak, Sep 7, 2018
  2. D0X
    d0x Win User

HDR won't enable!

Same issue but its new. I dont have hdr on in win10 but games will turn it on themselves. Forza 7 used to do that but now it wont enable HDR

3. D0X
    d0x Win User
    HDR won't enable!

Ive done all that and it doesn't have any effect, well it does but its not displaying proper HDR. Forza 7 in HDR used to look gorgeous but now it looks terrible.

HDR isn't new and HDR 10 is a standard so messing that up should be difficult. It should be plug and play.

The issue (i believe) is with Nvidia drivers. They have issues with HDR and dx12. I tested with and AMD 580 and had no issues with HDR at all.

I also have no issues with it on my xbox one x or ps4 pro.

The windows control panel settings have no effect on hdr for games, that setting is just for windows and playing video inside windows. Game hdr is handled by the game but if the gpu driver is broken things get weird.

I didnt have this issue immediately after the fall update. Its just nvidia playing fast and loose with standards. It knows what the display is capable of and shouldn't require you setting bpc or whether its rgb limited or full. Gaming isnt their focus
    right now which means neither is fixing this hdr issue.

4. TimCarl Win User

Cannot Enable HDR

The HDR option does not appear in 'Display' settings.

I am using:

Intel UHD 630 Integrated Graphics

Cardas HDMI cable

LG 27UK650 Monitor

The LG monitor's HDR works with a Playstation 4 Pro and Cardas HDMI cable.

The LG monitor has no manual HDR setting. It only enters HDR mode when it receives proper signal, first.

Windows 10 only offers HDR setting when it receives proper signal from the display, first.

How can HDR be force-enabled on Windows 10?

TimCarl, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Issue with games that dont use HDR but HDR enabled in Windows Display settings - Similar Threads - Issue games dont

2. Help with HDR in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with HDR in windows 10: Hello I’m having issues trying to play HDR content in my Lenovo Yoga 720 which I have connected to my Sony X900F trough and USB-C HDMI adapter, if I go to settings>Apps>Video Playback without the HDMI conected to the TV the option to stream HDR video gets enabled but as soon...
  3. HDR WCG Option suddenly gone from Display Settings

HDR WCG Option suddenly gone from Display Settings: Here is my setup: Ryzen 2600X Sapphire RX 580 8GB Pulse ASROCK X370 Taichi ADATA SX800 M.2 NVME 480GB SSD 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz CAS 14 Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W I just finished this build last week, got everything I wanted installed, Windows fully...
  4. Constantly have to reset HDR Settings

Constantly have to reset HDR Settings: Hello, I recently got an HDR-capable monitor and have noticed, that I always have to readjust the slider "Change brightness for SDR content" when rebooting my computer or logging back in after I've been logged in via Remote Desktop. It always gets reset to the very minimum,...
  5. HDR Windows 10 and gaming (bf1)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR Windows 10 and gaming (bf1): hello I have a bug with gaming and HDR, I am sure its windows issue, in bf1 the hdr is switching automaticaly on and off, what is the fix? thank you for your help 1803 w10 pro is my version I tried changing the resolution and frequency but its still changing in battlefield...
  6. How to Calibrate the display for HDR video in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Calibrate the display for HDR video in Windows 10: [ATTACH] HDR or High Dynamic Range is a technique used to create lifelike videos which have better dynamic range, especially when it comes to details. Windows 10 supports streaming high dynamic range (HDR) video, if the display supports it, and comes with the [...] This post...
  7. HDR and WCG in Windows 10

HDR and WCG in Windows 10: Problems with turning on HDR and WCG in Windows 10, the image is constantly changing and at some point it gets stuck without having access to the content on the display. This problem intensifies when i try to watch a movie on Netflix, or play a game on PC! I use Windows 10...
  8. HDR and WCG in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDR and WCG in Windows 10: Problems with turning on HDR and WCG in Windows 10, the image is constantly changing and at some point it gets stuck without having access to the content on the display. This problem intensifies when i try to watch a movie on Netflix, or play a game on PC! I use Windows 10...
  9. HDR and WCG are disabled but my Computer+TV are HDR/WCG capable

HDR and WCG are disabled but my Computer+TV are HDR/WCG capable: The option HDR/WCG is not available under Windows 10 RS4 and disabled under Win10 RS5 build 17713. In here my equipment: Display TV: Samsung TV UHD HDR UE55MU7005TXXC (w/latest firmware: 1221.0). UHD Color function is active for HDMI. HDMI Cable: UGreen 4K HDR 60Hz Cable...
  10. windows 10 and HDR

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    windows 10 and HDR: i have the creators update and HDR ready hardware. i want to play a full UHD BR rip. i'm using media player classic home cinema and madVR. should i be using RGB full in the nvidia control panel or one of the ycbcr settings? when i wanted to play an HDR game i had to use ycbcr...