Windows 10: Issue with HDR in Games, Version 20H2: Games that use Windows HDR work fine, but not games...

Discus and support Issue with HDR in Games, Version 20H2: Games that use Windows HDR work fine, but not games... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Since I got the 20H2 update recently, HDR doesn't seem to be working on most of my games, only the ones that specifically use the implementation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by CJ Roth, Jan 21, 2021.

1. CJ Roth Win User

Issue with HDR in Games, Version 20H2: Games that use Windows HDR work fine, but not games...

Since I got the 20H2 update recently, HDR doesn't seem to be working on most of my games, only the ones that specifically use the implementation provided by Windows the one in the settings menu. The other ones, like Hitman 2 and 3, Resident Evil 2 & 3, Assassin's Creed games, etc., don't seem to be triggering my monitor or TV to go into HDR mode, leaving them looking washed out and using the wrong colors when HDR is enabled in the game. Even when I run them under Windows' own HDR mode, they seem to still run as SDR apps.

Games that use Windows' implementation, like Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption 2, etc., seem to run just fine and look fine, as well, since the monitor itself is running in HDR mode.

I think what's happening is that the games aren't sending an HDR signal now, but I'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated, and I would at least like to know I'm not alone.

My hardware:

HDR monitors/TVs: TCL Android TV and LG 32GN50T

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: Radeon 5700 XT

:)

CJ Roth, Jan 21, 2021

2. Issue with games that dont use HDR but HDR enabled in Windows Display settings

I have not tried all games yet, so far Titanfall 2 and DOOM (OGL and Vulkan) both have issues with having HDR enabled in Windows and running native 4k. The colors get all messed up. In TF2 most of the whites get replaced with black or purple and sometimes
    the white parts of the screen flicker. In DOOM the blacks get replaced with green. Since i had a custom res of 3840x2159 set in the nvidia cp ( because of wolfenstein 2), i set both games to that res and the colors went back to normal. So it seems if the
    game does not support HDR and you run at native res, you will have issues (?). Games that do support HDR work just fine (far cry 5, forza 7, bf1).

Another note:

This maybe specific to me but ill post it anyway. I use a Sony x900E as my display. It has color/display modes (generic, game, etc). I notice that the color issue is not preset with HDR@4k when the mode is Generic (its called Desktop mode in the nvidia
    cp).

As im writing this, i remembered that GTA 5 did not have an issue, and im realizing the common denominator here: TAA. I dont have TAA enabled in GTA 5. I wonder if that is the issue since DOOM and TF2 use TAA (temporal anti-aliasing). I will go back and
    try disabling TAA in those games and report back.

GeorgeBRak, Jan 21, 2021
  3. Tom Wonk Win User
    Issues when playing games in Full Screen with "Play HDR games and apps" Enabled

I have the "Play HDR games and apps" setting enabled, otherwise everything I use on the monitor looks dull. I have been randomly getting black screens for a while now while playing full screen games. Took me weeks to figure out why this was happening.

When I turn up (or down) my pc volume by using the scroll wheel on my keyboard, a volume indicator appears on the top left of my monitor with the volume level.

This works perfectly on windowed / borderless games (even with HDR enabled) however if HDR is enabled and I am in Full Screen, when I adjust the volume I get a black screen. It then reconnects and a box in the center of the monitor appears to indicate the resolution
    is 2560 x 1440 HDR.

Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum.

Graphics Card: Geforce RTX 2080 Super.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s).

Monitor: 2560 x 1440 165hz, Connected via Display Port.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get the volume control to not cause black screens while playing in Full Screen games with HDR enabled?

Tom Wonk, Jan 21, 2021
  4. BNN55 Win User

Issue with HDR in Games, Version 20H2: Games that use Windows HDR work fine, but not games...

HDR and fullscreen games on Windows 10 = Issues with notifications !

Hello everyone,

If someone from Microsoft could answer me, it would be super nice...

I found a lot of topics with the same issue on the xbox and windows forums with no answer.

Recently, I bought a brand new monitor with HDR. Everything is perfect except something: when I play a game from the xbox app or from other launchers, HDR works fine but when I have a notification or when I change the volume with my keyboard, my screen turns
    black during the notifs (for 2 or 3 seconds)...

I think the problem comes from the notifications: they are certainly not in HDR and that creates a conflict with HDR.

It's not a problem with the Xbox app only but with Windows10 because this issue also appears with notifications from others launchers and my volume button while in fullscreen.

I don't have this problem anymore when I disable HDR but I want to use HDR!

All my drivers are updated. My graphic card as well.

Please help me.

Have a good day, wherever you are and long live Microsoft.

BNN55, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Issue with HDR in Games, Version 20H2: Games that use Windows HDR work fine, but not games... - Similar Threads - Issue HDR Games

2. HDR minimize game in full screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDR minimize game in full screen: HDR active, minimize the game after some time, can only run in window, when I deactivate the game can run I'm in windows 10 sometimes I manage to make it work but mostly is very difficult to keep the game in full screen...
  3. HDR not working in some games, working in others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR not working in some games, working in others: I've been having issues with HDR on my main gaming rig for a while, and I figured I might as well actually post on the internet and ask about it now rather than just sitting on the problem and trying to fix it myself.For the most part, Windows recognizes that I have two...
  4. HDR not working in some games, working in others

HDR not working in some games, working in others: I've been having issues with HDR on my main gaming rig for a while, and I figured I might as well actually post on the internet and ask about it now rather than just sitting on the problem and trying to fix it myself.For the most part, Windows recognizes that I have two...
  5. AUTO HDR Stopped Working In Game, "The Quarry"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AUTO HDR Stopped Working In Game, "The Quarry": It was working fine yesterday. Today, I booted it up and the game did not notify me that auto hdr was applied. I don't know how to fix this. It enables just fine in Lost Ark so I know I have it on!...
  6. AUTO HDR Stopped Working In Game, "The Quarry"

AUTO HDR Stopped Working In Game, "The Quarry": It was working fine yesterday. Today, I booted it up and the game did not notify me that auto hdr was applied. I don't know how to fix this. It enables just fine in Lost Ark so I know I have it on!...
  7. HDR and fullscreen games on Windows 10 = Issues with notifications !

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDR and fullscreen games on Windows 10 = Issues with notifications !: Hello everyone, If someone from Microsoft could answer me, it would be super nice... I found a lot of topics with the same issue on the xbox and windows forums with no answer. Recently, I bought a brand new monitor with HDR. Everything is perfect except something: when I...
  8. Enable HDR in games but not Desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Enable HDR in games but not Desktop?: Is there a flag anywhere that would allow HDR in games without enabling the desktop HDR mode? Destiny 2 is able to go into HDR mode without me turning it on the destop. But other games like Modern Warfare 2019 and Red Dead Redemption 2 don't even have the option unless I turn...
  9. HDR Windows 10 and gaming (bf1)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR Windows 10 and gaming (bf1): hello I have a bug with gaming and HDR, I am sure its windows issue, in bf1 the hdr is switching automaticaly on and off, what is the fix? thank you for your help 1803 w10 pro is my version I tried changing the resolution and frequency but its still changing in battlefield...
  10. Issue with games that dont use HDR but HDR enabled in Windows Display settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with games that dont use HDR but HDR enabled in Windows Display settings: I have not tried all games yet, so far Titanfall 2 and DOOM (OGL and Vulkan) both have issues with having HDR enabled in Windows and running native 4k. The colors get all messed up. In TF2 most of the whites get replaced with black or purple and sometimes the white parts of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hitman 2 hdr windows 20h2