Windows 10: Issue with keyboard input on login screen

Discus and support Issue with keyboard input on login screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I encountered a really strange issue yesterday - and am not sure how to resolve or fix it. Below is a quick run through: I was laying shadow of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joshcranmore, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Issue with keyboard input on login screen

I encountered a really strange issue yesterday - and am not sure how to resolve or fix it.

Below is a quick run through:
    • I was laying shadow of the tomb raider when I noticed my keys were playing up and pressing ESC key was suddenly translating to the windows key.
    • I decided to give my computer a restart - when I noticed no input from my keyboard other than space and enter worked.
    • If I reset my pin - and it takes em back to that screen the inputs work again.
    • Even if I go into the reset pin screen but dont actually reset it - the inputs work again.
    • I logged in and everything appeared fine - so i ran the hardware troubleshooter and it didn't pick anything up.
    • I then downloaded and ran the windows diagnostic tool - and it repaired two issues with windows update - one about a corrupted DB and another to do with an update from what I remember.
    • I restarted my comp after this and everything worked - although there was a lengthy enough delay in showing the login screen.
    • I then repeated this process to be 100% sure and the issue came back.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this - and if so how do you resolve it?

I have also noticed when I shutdown it was saying 'Just a moment' rather than 'shutting down...' if that also helps.

I have a feeling am going to have to do a clean install but id rather not have to do that if I can avoid doing so.

Thanks in advance.

:)

joshcranmore, Sep 25, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Can't login to new computer w/Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

• Are you able to login to Microsoft Account on Web?

• Have you installed any language pack?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to select the appropriate language in login screen at the bottom right corner and check if it helps.

Steps 2: Use On-screen keyboard in the login screen to login and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Sep 25, 2018
  3. MNSiw Win User
    MNSiw, Sep 25, 2018
  4. Issue with keyboard input on login screen

Keyboard issue when entering password after exiting screen saver

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in keyboard settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Are you getting any error message?
    • Is the issue occurring while booting to the computer?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to check if you are able to enter the password using On-Screen keyboard and also run hardware troubleshooter to check for any change in hardware settings.

Step 1: I recommend you to try to use the On-Screen Keyboard to enter the computer.

1. At the login page.

2. Click on Ease of Access icon which is present on the bottom right corner of the screen.

3. Then select On-Screen Keyboard from the list.

4. Click on Password box and enter the password into it through On-Screen Keyboard.

Step 2: I suggest you to perform the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. Check if it helps.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting.

3. Click on View All on the left panel of the screen.

4. Click on Hardware and Devices.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using keyboard at the login page, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Sep 25, 2018
Thema:

Issue with keyboard input on login screen

1. Issue with keyboard input on login screen - Similar Threads - Issue keyboard input

2. Issue login screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue login screen: Hi,I have an issue I really don't understand and can't find equivalent after some internet researchs.I recovered a laptop hp pavillon g5, something like 10 years old from a family member, under Windows 7, i3, HDD, no GPU, 4 Gb RAM.About the issue :When booting in normal mode,...
  3. Keyboard input issues: can't enter pin on startup screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard input issues: can't enter pin on startup screen: Hi allThis is a strange situation but I'd really appreciate any advice as I'm at a loss.My laptop keyboard input is messed up as is my monitor so I'm plugged into an external keyboard and monitor. On the windows 10 login screen, I can't enter my pin or challenge phrase or...
  4. Keyboard input issues: can't enter pin on startup screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard input issues: can't enter pin on startup screen: Hi allThis is a strange situation but I'd really appreciate any advice as I'm at a loss.My laptop keyboard input is messed up as is my monitor so I'm plugged into an external keyboard and monitor. On the windows 10 login screen, I can't enter my pin or challenge phrase or...
  5. Keyboard Input Issues, Please Help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard Input Issues, Please Help!: so im havin some issues, my keyboard will work fine whenever i start up my pc, but then when i start up pokerstars after a few minutes its stops inputting the letters n shit that i press and instead starts doing this wacky shit. i just bought a new keyboard hoping itd fix it...
  6. Keyboard Input Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard Input Issue: I am having an issue with the input controller for my keyboard. Whenever I press the "R" key, it will generate the letters "RT" and the same goes for when I press the "G" key, it will generate the letters "FG". I have already replaced my keyboard, so I know its not the...
  7. Strange Login Keyboard Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Login Keyboard Issue: Not sure where I should post this but I'm really confused. Earlier I restarted to update Windows10 and it got stuck at 90% for around 2 hours. I reluctantly restarted my computer during the update. When it booted up everything was fine after it said it was reverting the...
  8. Keyboard input language issues.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard input language issues.: my keyboard now produces é instead of backslash and É instead of question mark How do I repair ***Original Title: Keyboard*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-input-language-issues/50445bf1-de0a-4629-bf99-738c8bd491da
  9. Little to no keyboard input on windows 10 login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Little to no keyboard input on windows 10 login screen: I have encountered an issue where only the space bar and enter keys work on login. Below is a step by step of what I have found so far: I restarted my computer - and tried to enter my pin and noticed that nothing was happening and i could not log in but the enter and space...
  10. Login screen issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Login screen issue: Hi! I updated Windows 10 to the Anniversary Edition and all went well... apart from one issue. When I boot or reboot the PC, and during the boot process, I notice that one of the new feature of Windows is to show the lock screen image as background (I repeat, during boot)....