Windows 10: Issue with loading startup programs for different Windows 10 users

Discus and support Issue with loading startup programs for different Windows 10 users in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I currently have 2 separate Windows 10 accounts on my PC - one for me and one for my son. When I start Windows on my account, I run 3 programs on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by A L, Feb 2, 2021.

1. A L
    A L Win User

Issue with loading startup programs for different Windows 10 users

I currently have 2 separate Windows 10 accounts on my PC - one for me and one for my son.

When I start Windows on my account, I run 3 programs on Startup - PowerMate.exe, Volume2.exe and Pianoteq 7.exe , by putting their shortcuts into the Startup Folder.

PowerMate.exe - controls my Griffin volume knob
    Volume2.exe - controls an on screen volume display
    Pianoteq 7.exe - a software piano

So far everything works normally.

However, when my son uses his account to logon, these programs don't work anymore - Windows seems to be loading another instance of these 3 programs when he logs on, which causes a conflict in their processes. (I notice 2 instances of PowerMate.exe , Volume2.exe and Pianoteq 7.exe in Task Manager)

Is there away I can configure windows to, upon logon to any of my 2 accounts - looks for these 3 processes in task manager and kill/ shut them off AND THEN reload these 3 programs?

Or perhaps some other easier way to get this to work?

Thanks very much in advance.

:)

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Feb 2, 2021
  3. Blank Screen after Latest Windows 10 Update-- Cannot Switch Between users.

As our initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Press Windows + R and type "msconfig".
    • Select Selective startup and Load system services.
    • Unselect Load system startup items.

Let us know if the steps provided resolved the issue.

Dennis Mop, Feb 2, 2021
  4. Ubtree Win User

Anomolous behaviour of startup programs

Thank you for your reply. Your suggestion regarding the setting up of a new user caused me to think more about the system folder structures, and I remembered moving shortcuts from the User Programs folder to the All Users Programs folder, and I realised that I had also accidentally also mover the Startup folder from the User Programs folder to the All Users Programs. I therefore no longer had a Startup folder in my User Programs folder, and Windows had changed the registry settings for the user startup programs to the All Users Startup folder. So when Windows started, it ran the programs in the All Users Startup folder twice. And the absence of the User Startup folder was preventing the FastStone Capture and PhraseExpress startup settings from working correctly.

To address this, I have done the following:

• Created a new Startup Folder under the User Programs folder.
    • Changed the following registry keys back to their original values:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell FoldersStartup C:\Documents and Settings\Your Profile Name\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    Startup %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    Startup %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    These actions have resolved the startup issues.

Thank you again for your help.

Ubtree, Feb 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Issue with loading startup programs for different Windows 10 users - Similar Threads - Issue loading startup

2. Windows 10 Startup programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Startup programs: is it Safe to disable the Realtek WOWL Utility in the windows startup and what does this startup program do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-startup-programs/4466d1cb-0a17-49f7-b14b-ffd460b3d667
  3. Different Windows 10 Errors On Startups

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Different Windows 10 Errors On Startups: Every since a few months ago, I've been cycling through different Windows errors after starting up my PC after it being powered down for a while. And everytime I would restart or hard restart my PC, the problems would be gone. It started with BSOD's on startup, so then I...
  4. Different windows 10 features on different users

in Windows 10 Customization
    Different windows 10 features on different users: Hello everyone I'm wondering if its possible to have some windows 10 features enable in one user and the same feature disable in another.I need to use Hyper-V ON in my work user account , but in my personal account i need to turn OFF . Its really annoying to reboot and change...
  5. Windows 10 Fails To Load Taskbar and Startup Programs on Startup... Sometimes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Fails To Load Taskbar and Startup Programs on Startup... Sometimes: Hi,I've had a recurring problem that's persisted between systems and I haven't been able to find a permanent solution.Since the recent updates I will occasionally boot my computer with only the wallpaper and the desktop icons loaded up. The taskbar, startup programs like the...
  6. Issue with loading startup programs for different Windows 10 users

in Windows 10 Support
    Issue with loading startup programs for different Windows 10 users: I currently have 2 separate Windows 10 accounts on my PC - one for me and one for my son. When I start Windows on my account, I run 3 programs on Startup - PowerMate.exe, Volume2.exe and Pianoteq 7.exe , by putting their shortcuts into the Startup Folder. PowerMate.exe -...
  7. Is there a way to step through the programs loaded at startup in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to step through the programs loaded at startup in Windows 10?: I'm experiencing an error that doesn't happen in Safe Mode, so I know it's a 3rd party program. I was wondering if there was any way to load Windows and then step through the programs it loads in order to narrow down which program it is? submitted by /u/traczpasruchu...
  8. User profile and programs look different after a Startup Repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User profile and programs look different after a Startup Repair: Hi, I reinstalled windows 10 Home on a new SSD and I was gradually moving and reinstalling programs to it using PCmover. After moving one of the programs and restarting, the computer seemed to fail at startup, I saw a message about pc diagnostic etc. I used a bootable...
  9. Windows 10 - Install different programs on different user accounts?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Install different programs on different user accounts?: I want to have both The Sims 2 (base game, physical copy/CD installation) and The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection (digital download) on the same computer, but I can't run one with the other installed because they conflict. I have two user accounts on my computer and I was...
  10. Loading programs on Window 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Loading programs on Window 10: I keep getting this when I try opening an app on windows 10 edge:  This page is having a problem loading We tried to load this page for you a few times, but there is still a problem with this site. We know you have better things to do than to watch this page reload over...