Windows 10: Issue with multiple desktops (task view?) and opening applications

Discus and support Issue with multiple desktops (task view?) and opening applications in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Say I have a desktop 1 with MS Word open. If I then open another desktop (desktop 2), and then open a word file from my hard drive on desktop 2,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nster, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Nster Win User

Issue with multiple desktops (task view?) and opening applications

Say I have a desktop 1 with MS Word open. If I then open another desktop (desktop 2), and then open a word file from my hard drive on desktop 2, windows 10 will take me out of desktop 2, put be back on desktop 1, and then open the file I requested. I then have to open the desktop switcher, and manually drag the word document from desktop 1 to desktop 2.

Effectively, if I have a window of one application open in one desktop, and I then open the same application in a different desktop, windows will move me back to the original desktop and open the application there.

This is extremely annoying and occurs with all applications, is there any way to fix it?

Thanks in advanced for the help!

:)

Nster, Sep 21, 2015

2. Questions about Task View and the resources it takes up

Hi Rod,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

In Windows 10 task view you have option to add multiple desktop view and you can open multiple applications in all the desktops you have created.

For example if you have created two desktop view and if you have opened the applications in both the desktops, once you restart your computer, the applications will be opened it will not crash.

You may refer to the below link and check if it helps.

Windows 10 "Task View" Features

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 21, 2015
  3. New instances of an application open in incorrect virtual desktop

Hi Julian,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please reply: Is the issue confined to a single app or all the applications?

Are you able to open MS-Word on virtual desktops?

Virtual desktop works exactly the same as a normal desktop but making it more convenient and helping us organize our tasks.

There are a few applications whose instances can be created just once, e.g. Feedback app, therefore, when you create an instance of this app on a virtual desktop, it redirects you to the previous desktop.

However, you can create multiple instances of applications like MS-Word in virtual desktops. Once an instance of this application is closed, it will redirect you to the previously opened application. This is how virtual desktop works.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Sep 21, 2015
  4. Tomaka Win User

Same complaint for me, this is super annoying. Very few event should automatically force virtual desktop switching (I can only see notification clicking, which is actually an action). I hope microsoft fixes that

Tomaka, Oct 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Issue with multiple desktops (task view?) and opening applications - Similar Threads - Issue multiple desktops

2. Task View not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task View not open: My task view just does not open when clicking on the icon. But whenever I click on the icon, alt+tab proceed to not work as well. Have to restart explorer whenever it happens...
  3. Task View not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task View not open: My task view just does not open when clicking on the icon. But whenever I click on the icon, alt+tab proceed to not work as well. Have to restart explorer whenever it happens...
  4. Task view, desktop contents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task view, desktop contents: Hi, If I add desktops in TaskView, and open one, they all have same contents same webpages, same excels open etc. If I close one tab in e.g Desktop 1, it also closes in e.g Desktop 2 = all desktops are identical.Question: how do I get different contents to different desktops?...
  5. Task view, desktop contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task view, desktop contents: Hi, If I add desktops in TaskView, and open one, they all have same contents same webpages, same excels open etc. If I close one tab in e.g Desktop 1, it also closes in e.g Desktop 2 = all desktops are identical.Question: how do I get different contents to different desktops?...
  6. Task view, desktop contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Task View doesn't work when any applications are open

Task View doesn't work when any applications are open: As stated in the title, the Task View pane doesn't show up when any applications are running on that virtual desktop. It works normally when nothing is open, and all keyboard shortcuts remain functional even when the task pane doesn't show up. Windows Information: Edition...
  8. Restoring Tasks in Multiple Desktop views

Restoring Tasks in Multiple Desktop views: I am using several Desktop views when working on several programs and activities. For example, may have a desktop open with MATLAB applications, another with Arduino apps, and so on. When I power down, all of the current work files and sessions are lost. How can I restore...
  9. Task view issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Task view issue: Task view has been one of my favorite win10 features - scroll down and find a file recently open and click to reopen. My problem is that for a few weeks now, after a windows update, when I try to do that, the file opens in a browser window from onedrive instead of the local...
  10. Task View/Virtual Desktops.

Task View/Virtual Desktops.: Hi everyone. I've been using the Task View feature a lot on my PC, and I was wondering if I could make the two desktops different from each other? For example. Having a desktop or 2 for school/work, and one for Gaming. With different shortcuts on the desktop. Different...