Windows 10: Issue with permissions on username folder?

Discus and support Issue with permissions on username folder? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi guys, I have had this issue for a while.....No start menu, can't open some apps like the calculator....I have to ctrl/alt/del to get to shut down... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by damocles, Apr 27, 2017.

1. damocles Win User

Issue with permissions on username folder?

Hi guys,

I have had this issue for a while.....No start menu, can't open some apps like the calculator....I have to ctrl/alt/del to get to shut down button.

This is start to bug me so I went to dig a little.

When I go to Windows/users I see:

Default.migrated
    My username (not going say)
    Public

If I right click properties on my username folder and look at the Security tab the permissions for SYSTEM and Administrators are all blank. For my user name I have everything ticked for allow with the execption of Special permissions.

If I go to my Public folder and do the same the SYSTEM and Administrators are all checked to allow.

The question is this. Do I need to edit the permissions in my username folder to allow for SYSTEM and Administrators. I want to check incase doing this will mess every thing up a bit more.

BTW I can't do a screengrab.

I hope someone can add some light to this issue.

All the best

Damo

:)

damocles, Apr 27, 2017

2. Some folders' security permissions are set to read-only after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Is the bug limited to OneDrive? The permissions revert I'm experiencing happens to these folders, too:

C:\Users\username\Documents;

C:\Users\username\Pictures;

C:\Users\username\Videos;

C:\Users\username\Music

I wonder if the bug is something more systemic with sharing and permissions. I may try your workaround when I have some time. For now, I'm manually resetting permissions on folders I need to use.

ChristopherMillay, Apr 27, 2017
  3. figment_ Win User
    Some folders' security permissions are set to read-only after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Is the bug limited to OneDrive? The permissions revert I'm experiencing happens to these folders, too:

C:\Users\username\Documents;

C:\Users\username\Pictures;

C:\Users\username\Videos;

C:\Users\username\Music

I wonder if the bug is something more systemic with sharing and permissions. I may try your workaround when I have some time. For now, I'm manually resetting permissions on folders I need to use.

It's a OneDrive specific bug that has system-wide implications, the security permissions affect sharing, and potentially any files or programs that save to, are stored in, or dependent on the users personal files or folders. This includes all games, all Office
    programs, email programs, photos, browsers, personal settings and of course ANYTHING one would try to store in the affected folders.

figment_, Apr 27, 2017
  4. damocles Win User

Can some check their system for me to confirm this is normal.

Cheers

Damo

damocles, Apr 28, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    System , admin , username should have everything ticked except special

Samuria, Apr 28, 2017
  6. damocles Win User
    Thanks Samuria

I felt the issue was odd. Thanks for confirming

Damo

damocles, Apr 28, 2017
  7. damocles Win User
    I'm now wondering why the settings are not ticked off...could it be a virus?

damocles, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Issue with permissions on username folder? - Similar Threads - Issue permissions username

2. Permission Issue on one of my folders!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permission Issue on one of my folders!: Hi. I got a problem in my Windows 11! one of my folders in my external hard drive won't open. When I try to open it, it says "Access is denied" while I'm the administrator. I tried many ways. like in properties and security tab and then Advanced that says "You do not have...
  3. Permission Issue on one of my folders!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permission Issue on one of my folders!: Hi. I got a problem in my Windows 11! one of my folders in my external hard drive won't open. When I try to open it, it says "Access is denied" while I'm the administrator. I tried many ways. like in properties and security tab and then Advanced that says "You do not have...
  4. Folder permission Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder permission Issue: Hi Team, Over the past few days, we have noticed an issue after updating our device. Whenever we attempt to change the Read-only access for a folder, it automatically reverts back to being a read-only selected folder. This is not functioning properly in our environment. We...
  5. Folder permission Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder permission Issue: Hi Team, Over the past few days, we have noticed an issue after updating our device. Whenever we attempt to change the Read-only access for a folder, it automatically reverts back to being a read-only selected folder. This is not functioning properly in our environment. We...
  6. Folder permission Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Username in the Users Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Username in the Users Folder: Hi,I recently deleted my account from my laptop and logged in again using the Family section in Family and Other Users page in settings I removed it by running the netplwiz command. Now when I login, there is a new folder and it is not the same username as before the previous...
  8. Folder permission issue?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Folder permission issue?: I am having a problem with Adobe Photoshop CC and a plugin (Portrait Pro 15). When I try to launch the plugin from photoshop, I get the following error: Could not complete the Portrait Pro command because failed to run application C:/Program Files/PortraitPro Studio...
  9. Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder: Hi, I have a folder that I don't have permission to delete. I am using Windows 10. It seems to be owned by Laptop/path (the laptop's local account) [img] A while ago, Windows10 prompted me to change my username and sign in using a windows account....
  10. Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...: running out of ideas, just can't seem to gain full control of folders or files in the windowsapps folder, i can delete files and folders but i can't rename files or folders or edit file content... for example when i try to edit a file name i get: "you require permission...