Windows 10: Issue with PIN/password after update

Discus and support Issue with PIN/password after update in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I've never used a PIN to login to my laptop, always used a password. An update ran the other night and ever since it's asking for a PIN which I... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by flyingpenguin28, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Issue with PIN/password after update

I've never used a PIN to login to my laptop, always used a password. An update ran the other night and ever since it's asking for a PIN which I obviously don't know. Yesterday the "forgot my PIN" option would work and brought me to a screen asking for my password, but it's for an old login that I changed around 2 years ago. I type the password and it accepts it/takes me to the change PIN screen, but then pops up a message "we weren't able to set up your PIN. You can try again or skip this step and setup a PIN later." If I choose Retry, the same message pops up. If I choose skip, it goes straight back to the login screen that's asking for a PIN.

Today the "forgot my PIN" link doesn't even work, when I click it, it just goes back to the lock screen.

I've tried booting into Safe Mode/Safe Mode with Networking and I've tried Restoring from a previous point, but it doesn't show any listed.

:)

flyingpenguin28, Feb 13, 2021
  2. Dyan Rey Win User

Microsoft Account PIN and password

We appreciate the screenshot that you provided. to start troubleshooting the issue with you logins, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how login pin goes back to password:

• Click Start menu and go to Settings.
    • In Settings, click the Accounts icon.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Change both your password and pin one by one.
    Let us know how it goes.

Dyan Rey, Feb 13, 2021
  3. Have PIN for Windows 10 but need Windows password

Hi,

To set up a PIN on your Windows account, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Type the word pin in the search box and select
      Set up PIN sign-in

• Under the PIN section, click the
      Add
      button.

• Enter the password for your user account, then click the
      OK button.

• Follow the instructions on the screen.

Let us know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, Feb 13, 2021
  4. Issue with PIN/password after update

Windows 10 Change password to pin

Hi Ana,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

Please share the details.

• Are you able to log in to your desktop?

• Do you see any error code along with the error message?
    I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to set up a PIN on your Windows User Account:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click
      Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Add button.

• Type in the password for your User Account, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.

From now on you’ll be able to log in to your Windows account by entering your 4 digit PIN instead of your password.

You can change your PIN at any time by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows +S key combination to display the Search box.

• Type the word pin into the Search box, then click Set up PIN sign-in.

• Find the “PIN” section and click the Change button.

• Enter your Windows password, then click the
      Ok button.

• Select and enter a new 4 digit numeric pin, then enter it again for confirmation.

• Click the Finish button.

• Exit the PIN setup utility.
    Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

Issue with PIN/password after update

1. Issue with PIN/password after update - Similar Threads - Issue PIN password

2. Password log on gone - PIN issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password log on gone - PIN issue: Until yesterday, I logged on with a password.Today I am locked out. Pc asks for pin, which I know and enter. I then get the message that credentials aren’t recognised. I was asked to reset pin but the whole process fails eventually, after doing security checks, logging in in...
  3. Password log on gone - PIN issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password log on gone - PIN issue: Until yesterday, I logged on with a password.Today I am locked out. Pc asks for pin, which I know and enter. I then get the message that credentials aren’t recognised. I was asked to reset pin but the whole process fails eventually, after doing security checks, logging in in...
  4. PIN log in issue after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    PIN log in issue after update: The recent update made me put in a PIN, on restart I have to enter a PIN, I don't want to use the PIN, but when I go to settings to try to remove the PIN it says that the Hello welcome PIN is not set up, yet I have to enter the PIN on the welcome screen on restarts and I have...
  5. Password & Pin login issues

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Password & Pin login issues: Hi, My computer automatically updated today and it has switched from pin access to password. I have forgotten my password because ive used the pin for so long and now I am locked out! The sign in screen has no option to switch back to pin code and now I am completely...
  6. PIN/password issues

PIN/password issues: Hi, I'm having issues logging in to my microsoft account using my laptop. When I tried to enter my PIN, I'm getting a message saying " Your password was changed to a different device. You must sign in to this device once with your new password,and then you can sign in with...
  7. Password/Pin required only after MS Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Password/Pin required only after MS Update: My computer runs fine and I did setup a password and pin but since I'm the only one using it, I changed the settings including netplwiz so i did not need to sign in on startup. All works fine but whenever Microsoft pushes an update, the next time I startup, I'm asked to...
  8. Pin and password issue

Pin and password issue: i have been using my pc for sometime with finger print access but today fingerprint failed and was asked for pin, which i entered and received message to say it was incorrect, i clicked on options to sign in and used password, also incorrect. I then tried to reset and...
  9. Pin Issues After Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Pin Issues After Update: I don't know if this is windows problem or Microsoft, but I'm extremely frustrated. I restarted and updated my laptop, and upon it being finished, my pin no longer worked. I tried resetting it back to what it originally was, and it would not let me, as it was too simple. I...
  10. PIN and password don't work after latest update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    PIN and password don't work after latest update: Automatic update pushed last night. Upon restart I typed the PIN I have used since I bought this computer with Windows 10 a year ago. Message said PIN is incorrect. It is not. It's the same PIN. Tried password. Same message. Changed password on another device. I can log in to...