Windows 10: issue with usb drive(s)

Discus and support issue with usb drive(s) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This is a weird one I have an old laptop -- but its running w10/1903 -- about 2 weeks ago I set up usb 3tb drive to clone my 2tb drive -- The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by fpefpe, Sep 11, 2019.

1. fpefpe Win User

issue with usb drive(s)

This is a weird one

I have an old laptop -- but its running w10/1903 -- about 2 weeks ago I set up usb 3tb drive to clone my 2tb drive -- The 2tb drive is connected to the

computer using the eSTATA port -- and works fine --- the 3tb drive connects via the usb2 port and that worked fine until this past "patch tuesday"

I powered up the 3tb drive and it was not connecting to the computer -- I checked all the wires and cables and all are in order but it would not

connect. I rebooted and still no connection. I tried the 3tb drive on a 2nd computers and it worked fine.

I found an old 2tb drive and tried that one -- it seem to connect, but when I tried to list the content of one of the files it it hung. I unplugged the

drive and the computer then continue.

I waited a few minutes and tried again connecting the 2tb drive and now like the 3tb drive, the device manage does not even "see" it

not even knowing were to start, I now tried a 16g thumb drive and it worked! Going for broke I found a really old 500g usb2 external

drive and that works too!

any help on how to debug this would be greatly appreciated

:)

fpefpe, Sep 11, 2019
  2. little cat, Sep 11, 2019
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Sep 11, 2019
  4. issue with usb drive(s)

The drive is connected with USB but will not Initialize on Windows 10

Hello Moksha,

As you are facing issues with accessing the USB drive on your device, we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Does this issue confined to the specific drive?

Try few of the below workarounds to identify the cause for the issue:

• Connect the USB drive to different ports and check if it is working fine. This will let us know if the issue is with the port.
    • Connect the USB drive to different computer with different ports to check if the issue persists with the drive or the computer.

Let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

Step 2: I recommend you to install all the pending updates from Windows Updates on your device and check if you are able to access the USB drive.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

issue with usb drive(s)

1. issue with usb drive(s) - Similar Threads - issue usb drive

2. issue with usb drives on 2 pcs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    issue with usb drives on 2 pcs: So this might be hard to explain so bare with me so I have 2 pc a normal work one and a gaming one I have been using external drives for years to copy date to till recently I have had a massive issue so I tried to copy a large file about 300gb I noted it was going really slow...
  3. Issues to eject USB drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues to eject USB drive: I plugged in a USB drive to my computer Windows 10, supplied the BitLocker password. I then opened the drive in the File Explorer. I opened 3 Word documents and 2 JPG files. I didn't make any changes. I then went to "Show Hidden Icons" on the task bar. I had no applications...
  4. USB generic flash drive issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB generic flash drive issue: Here is one for the books. It has me puzzled as a novice. It starts with 5samegeneric USB Flash Drives from online purchase. The computermy main user-HP PAVILION P-7 1297=Win10pro20H2. The 5 USB drives all act the same>on all usb ports< ISSUES>1. Will not recognize all...
  5. USB Flash Drive issues

USB Flash Drive issues: Hi everyone!! I have been trying to backup some files to my USB drive recently but, whenever I try, it works for the first 5 or so minutes before getting a warning that the file destination of the files does not exist as the drive disappears from Windows. Interestingly...
  6. USB flash drive(s) not showing in File Explorer

USB flash drive(s) not showing in File Explorer: I believe this started with the 720 (1909 18363.720) Windows Update but I'm not sure. I'm going to try backing out the latest WU in a bit but wanted to post the problem here before doing so. File Explorer is not seeing any USB Flash drive or mounted ISO, but I can look at...
  7. USB Drive Issue

USB Drive Issue: I can longer access documents saved to my USB Drive F/Drive. Also, the mouse no longer operates as it should do. Any suggestions, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-drive-issue/48319f0e-0c0b-47c0-ad09-bcf84beb2d21
  8. USB flash drive issue

USB flash drive issue: Why Windows 10 laptop does not recognize USB flash driver when there is a file with password on it? Windows 7 does not have this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-flash-drive-issue/eec4cf01-2f10-4e8a-b860-7b49ee03291b
  9. Issues with reinstalling from USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issues with reinstalling from USB drive: A couple of days ago, due to some issues with Windows updates that weren't completely installed on my computer, my laptop crashed and has since then been unable to move past the Lenovo logo screen. I decided to create a Windows 10 installer USB drive and then followed the...
  10. S-ata hard drive issue

S-ata hard drive issue: Hi. I'm having some issues with a 500GB s-ata hard drive. It seems almost unusable as it often disconnects by itself, when trying to download with utorrent I get the message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". Just now I got the same message...