Windows 10: Issue with W8.1 to W10 upgrade

Discus and support Issue with W8.1 to W10 upgrade in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have W8.1 pre installed in my laptop and have been trying to upgrade it to W10 but from past 1 month I have been updating the OS daily but haven't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Hiraav, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Hiraav Win User

Issue with W8.1 to W10 upgrade

I have W8.1 pre installed in my laptop and have been trying to upgrade it to W10 but from past 1 month I have been updating the OS daily but haven't yet got the newer patch of W10 is their any faster way to get the upgrade. I had read on a Microsoft form that after Dec 2022 W8.1 cannot be updated to W10.

:)

Hiraav, Nov 23, 2022
  2. Tatty_One Win User

Now that W10 is out, are you a W7 / W8 refusenik?

Thanks, when W7 becomes in effect obsolete, I will upgrade to W8, when that is gone I will upgrade to an Android tablet and play candy crush all day in retirement *Big Grin Issue with W8.1 to W10 upgrade :D

Tatty_One, Nov 23, 2022
  3. W10 upgrade

I upgraded from w8 to w10 but then reverted to w8. Now I want to be on w10 permanently. How do I do it

ErnestParker1, Nov 23, 2022
  4. Radi Win User

Skip upgrading W8 Pro to W10 and install W10 and use key from W8 Pro?

TL;DR

1. Get a bootable WIN 10
    2. Install WIN 10
    3. Enter they key you have from your WIN 7/8
    4. Go to setting and activate the newly installed WIN 10
    5. If your activation fails, enter your key again.
    6. That should fail again but will give you the option to call support
    7. Call support and they will help you finish your WIN 10 activation

The long story.

Something happened, and my Windows 8.1 Pro stopped working and I had to reinstall it. I have a Windows 8 Pro installation DVD that I got from Amazon a few years back. I used it and installed Windows 8 Pro on my PC. Ultimately I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but it was taking too long to update Windows 8 to 8.1, so I installed Windows 10 Media Creation and created a bootable Windows 10 USB. Using the bootable USB, I installed Windows 10 Pro on my PC, and that is where the pain started. I did some googling and found that with Starting with W10 build 1511, you can use the W7 or W8 key on a clean install, but I could not find how to actually activate the fresh Windows 10 installation. After several tries to activate I finally called support and they helped me out.

Note: A side effect of skipping the Windows 7/8 upgrade to Windows 10 is that support had to invalidate my Windows 8 product key and give a new key.

Thema:

1. Issue with W8.1 to W10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Issue W10 upgrade

2. Issue with W8.1 to W10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue with W8.1 to W10 upgrade: I have W8.1 pre installed in my laptop and have been trying to upgrade it to W10 but from past 1 month I have been updating the OS daily but haven't yet got the newer patch of W10 is their any faster way to get the upgrade. I had read on a Microsoft form that after Dec 2022...
  3. Issue with W8.1 to W10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with W8.1 to W10 upgrade: I have W8.1 pre installed in my laptop and have been trying to upgrade it to W10 but from past 1 month I have been updating the OS daily but haven't yet got the newer patch of W10 is their any faster way to get the upgrade. I had read on a Microsoft form that after Dec 2022...
  4. New Pc old Key W8 that I got free upgrade to W10

New Pc old Key W8 that I got free upgrade to W10: Hi, this one is tricky. I had this same key since W7. Bought the update to W8. And in 2015/2016 I've got a free update to W10. I had to sell my computer 2 years ago. I have saved the key but it's wasn't upgraded since it had a updater software. If I'm not mistaken, when I...
  5. Upgraded laptop to W10 from W8, reset this PC won't complete

Upgraded laptop to W10 from W8, reset this PC won't complete: I am trying to reset a laptop, removing all files and cleaning the drive. I get "There was a problem resetting your PC." Any ideas on how to remedy? Thanks....
  6. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  7. How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10?: I had been using w8 for 4 years and now I have switched to w10. I want to copy my jumplists of all software from w8 to w10. how can I do this? I have read that Jump list files are located in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations and in...
  8. Clean install w10 from w8

Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  9. Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD

Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD: Hello, I'm trying to reinstall W8 using my CD but in the Windows Setup, clicking Upgrade gives me a Compatibility Report that tells me to remove the CD, restart my computer so Windows starts normally, then reinsert the CD to restart the upgrade. Clicking Custom and then...
  10. W10 screen snap like W8

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screen snap like W8: Hi I've just upgraded my laptop to W10 from W8. What I used to do on W8 is say watch the FilmOn app on the right hand side of the screen and use the left hand side to do everything else - outlook, chrome, word, excel...any desktop software. I'd flick between them and the...