Windows 10: Issue with WinDBG being incredibly slow

Discus and support Issue with WinDBG being incredibly slow in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! Not sure if this is the correct subforum, but since it's related to WinDBG I thought it was close enough. I'm doing some helping out over at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Bjoolz, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Bjoolz Win User

Issue with WinDBG being incredibly slow

Hello! Not sure if this is the correct subforum, but since it's related to WinDBG I thought it was close enough.

I'm doing some helping out over at reddit's techsupport channel and a fair bit of that involves checking dump files. I have used the old WinDBG (From 2012, installed on Win7, kept the same install into a Win10 upgrade a year ago), but recently it was giving me some issues so I decided to install a new version. Just for completeness' sake, the old issue was that after doing .symfix and .reload, it would hang for about 5 minutes and then hang for another 5 minutes when repeating !analyze -v. The downloading symbols part would take about 15-20 seconds and then it would just hang. Checked through third party software that monitors internet usage. The old version would only use local symbols when you first loaded in a new dump file while (I think) the new version loads symbols from the Microsoft server automatically.

The new issue is that whenever I load in a dump file, it's slow beyond belief. It gets to this part and then it just slows to a crawl. It will output about one line every 5-10 minutes and it takes one hour before it's done and displays the information and I can enter any commands. If I try to exit out of WinDBG, the software will freeze, giving me a Windows prompt saying it's not responding. Use of the Break command, both through Ctrl+Break and Debug -> Break, has no effect.

It could be an issue with acquiring the symbols from the server. I have added WinDBG to my approved list in the Windows Firewall to no effect. I do use a third party tool called Netlimiter since my network speed is terrible and it's useful for weeding out processes that uses excessive internet at the wrong time. It's reporting that WinDBG uses 3-5 kilobyte/s for 1-2 seconds every 10 seconds while this is happening. The old version would max my internet speed for about 15-20 seconds after doing .symfix and .reload.

Symbol path: srv*Symbol information

EDIT: All my tests have been with minidumps (Small memory dump, 256kb).

Thank you for any help!

:)

Bjoolz, Sep 3, 2016

2. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

None of this has worked. It will still often revert to being incredibly slow on file explorer. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Philip Moszczynski, Sep 3, 2016
  3. Unchu Win User
    System is incredibly slow

So ever since getting this laptop a while back, it's been incredibly slow. I tried running Windows Defender to see if it could potentially solve the issue, but if anything the computer seems to be running even slower, and I could not find a solution. I attempted
    to look at the boards here and found that I should run a recorder to see if it could potentially give any information and then post it. So here is the link to the Analyzer file I zipped:

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Please help!

Thanks,

Unchu, Sep 3, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

axe0, Sep 3, 2016
  5. Bjoolz Win User
    I initially had the symcache portion, but removed it when it became obvious how slow it was since I never had it on my old install. Sorry for not mentioning it.

EDIT: I have now re-enabled it, copy pasting from the guide, and there is no change.

Bjoolz, Sep 3, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Of course there is no change, everything needs to be downloaded first what takes time.

axe0, Sep 3, 2016
  7. Bjoolz Win User
    But it's barely using any bandwidth. Over the last hour it has downloaded 7.3 megabytes. I also tried opening the same dump file again since it had just completed and it's just as slow as before. It has now been 10 minutes and it's not using any bandwidth this time either.

Bjoolz, Sep 4, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

axe0, Sep 4, 2016
  9. Bjoolz Win User
    It worked. It's now basically instant. Guess I shouldn't have assumed that leaving it blank would stop it from trying to use the Microsoft server automatically. Downloading that much on a 4mbps line is not gonna be fun though.

Bjoolz, Sep 4, 2016
  10. Bjoolz Win User
    Just wanted to update the thread in case someone else stumbles in here with the same issue. Changing it to only use local symbols made it instant, but a hassle since it's very common to not have the correct symbols. .symfix and .reload gave the same 1 hour issue as loading a dump file and have it automatic. Now however it just suddenly works. I haven't done anything to make it work, it just started working.

Only logical reason for why it didn't work must be that it was network related. No idea if it was local settings or a routing issue. If you experience the same issue, you might have to just wait for a week or try forcing different routing by using a VPN.

Bjoolz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Issue with WinDBG being incredibly slow - Similar Threads - Issue WinDBG being

2. Incredibly slow PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incredibly slow PC: A couple of weeks ago my PC wasnt able to start due to a problem during booting. I couldnt fix it so instead I decided to do a clean install of windows on my second SSD. I didnt really format that one I just installed windows onto it via stick and troubleshoot. I then...
  3. Incredibly slow PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incredibly slow PC: A couple of weeks ago my PC wasnt able to start due to a problem during booting. I couldnt fix it so instead I decided to do a clean install of windows on my second SSD. I didnt really format that one I just installed windows onto it via stick and troubleshoot. I then...
  4. Incredibly slow PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Download Speed incredibly Slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Download Speed incredibly Slow: Windows Version 2004 My download speed on my pc is incredibly slow for every application, capping out at around 600 kilobytes per second. All of my browsers (Opera GX, Brave, Chrome) and Steam have incredibly slow download speed for no explicable reason. Task Manager reports...
  6. Suddenly gone incredibly slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Suddenly gone incredibly slow: Win 10 x64 pro Overnight win10 has become impossibly slow (up to 10 seconds to load a program and often longer). No new programs installed, no viruses and sfc /scannow won't run even in safe mode, which was equally slow. Spent 48 hours trying to deal with this without a...
  7. PC incredibly slow.

PC incredibly slow.: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.836) It takes quite a while to boot. I keep most of my files on an external hard drive. Opening a folder and displaying the contents takes ages. What can I do to speed things up (a lot) ? Would it help to keep copies on the external drive...
  8. Computer running incredibly slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer running incredibly slow: Hey everyone! My brother lives in a different state and isn’t good when it comes to computers. I know enough to get by. His computer is extremely slow and it sometimes takes 1-3 minutes for webpages to load. There’s no issue with the internet because the WiFi works great on...
  9. Store incredible slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Store incredible slow: I have the following issue, that the download of apps/updates in the Windows Store gets stuck at 0% for about 5-10 minutes, then suddenly starts, sometimes slow sometimes fast, and then it goes to the next download and it again gets stuck for about 10 minutes. This happens on...
  10. PC Running Incredibly Slow

PC Running Incredibly Slow: After upgrading to Windows 10, it's just been problem after problem... Everything on my computer is running incredibly slow. GTA 5, Flight Simulator X, all running slower than ever. Even the operating system, simply writing something, is slow. And I have a strong laptop....