Windows 10: Issue with Windows 10 Recent Items

Discus and support Issue with Windows 10 Recent Items in Cortana to solve the problem; I am having an issue with Windows 10 not showing recently used files in Network drives but if I open a file locally it does show up in Recent Items... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Tim Klapthor, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Issue with Windows 10 Recent Items

I am having an issue with Windows 10 not showing recently used files in Network drives but if I open a file locally it does show up in Recent Items under This PC. I have the option turned on to show Recent Items and I even cleared it but the issue seems to persist. Am I doing something wrong? This is on a VDI for reference

:)

Tim Klapthor, Aug 4, 2020
  2. Vijay B Win User

Windows 10: store and display recently opened items

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I would suggest you to try the following steps and see if that helps.

a. Click on Start.

b. Click on Settings.

c. Click on Personalization.

d. Click on Start option.

e. Disable ‘ Show recently opened items in jumped list on Start or the task bar’.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Vijay B, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Recently used items does not show after a recent Windows update

Hello Timothy,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

To be able to assist you better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

1) Did you make any recent changes to the computer?

2) Did you check if similar issues occur when logged in to the computer using a different user account?

3) Do you have any system restore point set prior to the issue?

To check if there is any Restore Point already created, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select System.

• In the left pane, click on System Protection.

• Select the option to system restore > next. It will show all restore points already created.

4) What is the particular Windows update you are referring to?

To do so, you need to check the settings through Windows update. Follow the below steps.
    • Open the Settings Charm with the shortcut Windows Key
      Issue with Windows 10 Recent Items Windows_Key.png
      +
      I.
    • Click/tap Change PC settings.
    • Click on the Update and recovery and click on the View your update history.
    • You will now see a list of your installed Windows Updates. If you click on any one of the
      "Successfully installed on (date)" links

As an initial step towards troubleshooting, I suggest you to check if the 'recently used item' feature is hidden. If yes, uncheck the options. Follow the below steps.

• Right click on Taskbar and choose Properties.
    • Select the tab Start Menu.
    • Uncheck both the options for:

1) Store and display recently opened programs in the Start Menu

2) Store and display recently opened items in the Start Menu and the Task Bar
    • Also select a higher number recent items to display in Jump List

If the above does not apply, please follow the below suggested methods and check in case if it is a functionality issue in Windows.

Method 1

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

Ref: Using System File Checker
    in Windows 10

Method 2

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to deploy the DISM command lines:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Issue with Windows 10 Recent Items

Increase recent items list

I would like to increase the size of the recent items list. I find this recommendation in several p0laces:

Note: By default 10 most recent items are shown in Jump List for any application. You can however, change the number from default 10 to something else.
    How to change the number of recent items to display in Jump Lists using Registry edit:
    Press Windows + R keys, type in regedit and press Enter.
    Navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    In the right pane double click on the Start_JumpListItems to modify it.
    Enter a number between 0 to 60.
    Restart the computer.
    Windows 10 Tutorials 81 – Change the Number of Recent Items to Display in Jump Lists

However I have done that and the recent items list stays at 15. How can I increase it?

woldsweather, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Issue with Windows 10 Recent Items

1. Issue with Windows 10 Recent Items - Similar Threads - Issue Recent Items

2. Set up Recent items

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set up Recent items: Set up Recent items https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-recent-items/a61f5ef2-1ac7-4e19-a67e-bbd03ad8ea0e
  3. Recent Items List incomplete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent Items List incomplete: The Recent Items list in Windows Explorer is often incomplete, only showing 15 or so items when I know there should be 50. The list is missing all items accessed prior to 2:42 PM. Nothing happened today, such as a Windows update, although I did shut down the PC and restart...
  4. Recent Issues with Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recent Issues with Windows 10: Lately, I've been having 10016 DistributedCOM events in Event Viewerwhere certain CLSID and APPID keys haven't been communicating. After looking it up, I was told that changing the Permissions on the Keys in regedit from TrustedInstaller to Administrators with Full Controll...
  5. Windows 10 recent issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 recent issues: So my desktop resolution is not fitting the desktop properly. Icons are veering off the edges of my LG TV at 1920 X 1080P 120Hz. Parts of the edges missing and can't see the full icons or taskbar. Nvidia settings, desktop orientation and positioning scaling settings are...
  6. Recent items list not updating

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent items list not updating: I'm not sure what happened, possible one of Microsoft's updates. Since September 22, my recent items list has not updated but the last update is dated September 19th, 3 days earlier, so perhaps that's not it. Since I use it frequently to access files that I'm using often...
  7. Start menu "recent items"

Start menu "recent items": Hi, I have "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" set to Off (in the Personalization -> Start section of PC seetings), but recently opened items still appear. If I turn the setting "On, and then "Off" again, it clears the lists. But ultimately,...
  8. Increase recent items list

Increase recent items list: I would like to increase the size of the recent items list. I find this recommendation in several p0laces: Note: By default 10 most recent items are shown in Jump List for any application. You can however, change the number from default 10 to something else. How to change...
  9. Recent items folder Empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent items folder Empty: Hi - when I first open File Explorer all the recent items are there. I've added the Recent Items Folder to the Quick Access menu using instructions I found here by opening the shell:recent window. but it always says that the recent items folder is empty.The thread across the...
  10. Create Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Recent items is a list of the files that you have used or opened recently. These items are displayed as "Recent files" in Quick access, and under...