Windows 10: Issue with Windows services and apps after a restart to finish the update process - Windows...

Discus and support Issue with Windows services and apps after a restart to finish the update process - Windows... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've run across something on my personal PC that I've never had the misfortune of dealing with before. All the symptoms started after a reboot to allow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by aus73, Oct 12, 2020.

1. aus73 Win User

Issue with Windows services and apps after a restart to finish the update process - Windows...

I've run across something on my personal PC that I've never had the misfortune of dealing with before. All the symptoms started after a reboot to allow Windows 10 Pro to finish installing updates today; so, my assumption is that it's a bad Windows 10 update as that's the only change. Here's the symptoms:

1. OneDrive stopped connecting. I originally couldn't even get the dashboard up to check the settings. I uninstalled it, then attempted to reinstall using the manual installation program from onedrive.com, but that's when I came across symptom #2 see below. Once I was able to get OneDrive reinstalled, the dashboard and the settings came up. I was able to input my credentials, but it has now been spinning for over 2 hours with no sign in or sign in error.
    2. File Explorer wasn't accessing files. At first, File Explorer wasn't even seeing the drives. I rebooted, and it was able to see the drives, but I couldn't get any files in a directory to enumerate and display so I could run the OneDrive installation file. I was finally able to use the CLI to install OneDrive, after which, File Explorer started functioning again. I'm assuming at this point the File Explorer error is corrected, but I think it may be symptomatic of the bigger issue.
    3. The Windows 10 builtin mail app will not pull up all the way. When I attempt to open it, it starts to pull up. I get a giant blue window with the open envelope in the middle of the window, but nothing else happens. It just sits there.
    4. The builtin Sketch-and-Snip tool locks up the PC. I attempted to grab screen snips to illustrate what I'm experiencing, but when i pull up the Sketch-and-Snip tool, I get as far as being able to click theNew button. Once I do, the screen on both of my monitors are outlined in an olive green rectangle, and the PC 100% locks up. I have to use CTRL+ALT+DEL and log out then log back in before I can use the PC again.
    5. Office 365 products are lagging on start up of the program not Windows boot by 30-90 seconds. I first noticed the issue with Outlook. When I opened it, it sat onDisconnected status for about 15-20 seconds before changing to Attempting to Contact status. It takes another 10-70 seconds for Outlook to connect to Exchange. I then attempted to use some of the other Office 365 Suite desktop apps Word, Excel, and I found a longer-than-normal start time, but it doesn't appear to be a licensing issue as there is no licensing error that comes up.
    6. All non-Microsoft services and apps work fine. Basically, and with the exception of Teams, if the service or app doesn't come from Microsoft, it's working fine.
    7. There are discrepancies between what Settings=>Update & Security=>View update history says and what is displayed with thewmic qfe list brief /format:table displays. The GUI shows that both KB4576478 cumulative update for .Net 3.5 and 4.8 and KB4571756 cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64 systems where installed on 17 SEPT 2020 but neither are displayed in the CLI.
    8. wusa /uninstall /kb:4571756 throws an error. I attempted to uninstall KB4571756 via CLI thinking that was the most likely candidate for bad update. The error says that KB4571756 isn't installed.
    9. A manual attempt to install KB4571756 failed. Thinking that KB4571756 may only be partially installed, I was able to get the x64 .msu downloaded from Microsoft and have the Windows Update service run it, but it threw an error. The error message said that it wasn't for my system.
    10. Restoring is not an option. I attempted to revert to a point before the update reboot, but all restore points have been deleted. I use Acronis TrueImage to backup my PC, but even the recovery image on that service is corrupted/unusable.

Any help or guidance that can be given that doesn't include reinstalling Windows would be much appreciated, although I do realize that the reinstallation option may be my only recourse.

:)

aus73, Oct 12, 2020
  2. kambei.7s Win User

Windows 10 Update Orchestrator Service

found similar error in the 'System' log, during the restart after installing the update, is this normal for windows 10? Does everyone faced such thing? The update seems to have settled, in the status I've see 'Success', there seem to be no other errors.

The "Update Orchestrator Service" service is turned off due to an error
    The return from the operation was due to the timeout.

code 7023 source of Service Control Manager

EventData

param1 Update Orchestrator Service
    param2 %% 2147549471
    550073006F005300760063000000

Keywords 0x8080000000000000

after 20 seconds
    The C: \ Windows \ system32 \ MusNotificationUX.exe process initiated the "Restart" action for the DESKTOP computer on behalf of the user due to: Operating system: Service pack installation Scheduled

The update was installed
    KB4103727 OS Build 16299.431

Thanks.

kambei.7s, Oct 12, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Oct 12, 2020
  4. KTR
    ktr Win User

Issue with Windows services and apps after a restart to finish the update process - Windows...

Windows updates won't install!

I had the same problem when i repaired my O/S, i forgot the steps on how to fixed it, but it is in the microsoft support forum.

You have to reinstall the windows updater, then restart the updating service.

edit: Found it...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Thema:

1. Issue with Windows services and apps after a restart to finish the update process - Windows... - Similar Threads - Issue services apps

2. Windows service stopping after restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows service stopping after restart: So there is a service called "TabletInputService" This service needs to be running to use windows search, type passwords for network, etc basically anything in windows itself that takes an input aside from apps i will start up my computer and want to search for a file or a...
  3. Windows service stopping after restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows service stopping after restart: So there is a service called "TabletInputService" This service needs to be running to use windows search, type passwords for network, etc basically anything in windows itself that takes an input aside from apps i will start up my computer and want to search for a file or a...
  4. KB4568831 installed, but will not restart or finish update process

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4568831 installed, but will not restart or finish update process: Windows 10 "2004" installed What I believe to be KB4568831 over night. When I let it restart this morning, it went through the post, the windows logo and rotating icon, and then the icon kept rotating for the last 7 hours. This is a self built computer with ASUS mother...
  5. [2004] Update and shutdown now restarts the computer to finish the update process before...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [2004] Update and shutdown now restarts the computer to finish the update process before...: I've seen this rant quite a bit. Looks like Microsoft listened. You no longer need to wait for updates to finish after booting a computer from shutdown. submitted by /u/Scurro [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows update and Service host process

Windows update and Service host process: Hi. Can anyone tell me: Why is the process 'Service host: Network Service, Delivery Optimization' running constantly 24/7, hogging 30% of processing power and how do I stop it? And Is this somehow linked to the fact that neither windows 10 update or its trouble...
  7. Windows 10 restart after finishing up was done in installation process takes me back to the...

Windows 10 restart after finishing up was done in installation process takes me back to the...: I tried to install windows 10 again on my laptop ( note that my hard drive is damaged) and after I waited like 2 days to reach state finishing up in that installation process , my laptop restarts which he should do but then is not continuing with the installation...
  8. Can not restart to finish Windows Update install

Can not restart to finish Windows Update install: As the picture shows, the restart for pending updates is not available. Can not manually restart the machine either, ( the changes won't apply) Any help is appreciated. I am in desperate right now, this thing is so annoying. \ [ATTACH]...
  9. windows update says restart is required to finish instillation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows update says restart is required to finish instillation: hello i have hp mini 1104 and ive tried to update to version 1709 windows update says restart is required to finish instillation and ive restarted numeous times ive ran the trouble shooter and it said it neeeded to delete and reinstalll and i ran that and still nothing. im...
  10. Use sign-in info to auto finish after Update or Restart in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use sign-in info to auto finish after Update or Restart in Windows 10: How to: Use sign-in info to auto finish after Update or Restart in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Use sign-in info to auto finish setting up device and restart apps after update or restart in Windows 10 When you update to a new Windows 10 build, you must sign in before it...