Windows 10: Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium

Discus and support Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I wanted to upgrade my pc replacing a 256GB SSD with a 512GB SSD. So I followed this guide (Upgrading laptop SSD to larger SSD using Macrium and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by desk77, May 27, 2019.

1. desk77 Win User

Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium

Hi,
    I wanted to upgrade my pc replacing a 256GB SSD with a 512GB SSD. So I followed this guide (Upgrading laptop SSD to larger SSD using Macrium and external HDD):
    • Capture an IMAGE of the ENTIRE original drive to a file on your external drive.
    • Swap out the SSD.
    • Boot into Rescue Media.
    • Restore the image file onto the new SSD. You can adjust the restored partition sizes when you stage the restore so you can restore all partitions in a single operation. The trick is to drag the source partitions down to the destination, working from left to right, and when you drag down a partition you want to resize, click “Restored Partition Properties”, adjust the size, and then drag down the remaining partitions

Now Windows starts without problem but:
    • it seems a bit slower than before
    • some WindowsStore app doesn't start anymore with the following error: "The storage device may be missing or disconnected.
    Now I am afraid of toher possible problems I haven't noticed yet.

:)

desk77, May 27, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, May 27, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Here's an easy way to do it, With your SSD connected.

1. If not already done. Create a backup image of your current Windows HD. From Macrium, click on "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows"
      NOTE: you could actually clone the disk, but create a backup then restore will allow Macrium to correctly align the cluster size and perform trimming on the new SSD.
    2. After step 1 is done, click on Restore tab, select the image from step 1 then click on Select different target disk, select the SSD as destination disk then click on Next->Finish. No need to use/boot from Rescue disk. It will be faster and Macrium will also perform trimming on the new SSD.
    3. Disconnect the HD and reboot. Windows should boot up with the new SSD.

topgundcp, May 27, 2019
  4. Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium

SSD not showing in macrium rescue restore proccess

I made an image of my 256gb windows 10 drive using macrium reflect 7 free edition and stored it on my external HDD . I also made a resuce bootable usb and tried to restore the backed up image , however after selecting the backed up image the image shows in the source box and under the destination box my ssd isnt showing to start the restore process instead it shows my external HDD. However when i logged into windows normally and checked macrium restore process shows both my SSD and HDD
    The problem is i cannot restore the image using the bootable usb since ssd is not shown.

shravan sharma, May 27, 2019
Thema:

Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium

1. Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium - Similar Threads - Issues Restoring image

2. Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive: Hey all, First-time poster and also new to Macrium. I have a 1TB M.2 SSD in my laptop that I want to image, transfer to another computer, and then I want to restore the image to a smaller (500GB) replacement M.2 drive. I'm working with only 1 M.2 slot, so I created a Macrium...
  3. Restoring Macrium Reflect image

Restoring Macrium Reflect image: I really need help. Let me say first that the image I made with MR is about 1.5 yrs old. I see no reason why that should matter. I opened Macrium Reflect and went to the Restore heading. There I browsed to and selected the image I wanted to restore. This is what I see:...
  4. Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging)

Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging): Hi folks The standalone version of Free Macrium will backup and restore Linux systems -- but with a slight proviso you will probably have to re-generate the bootloader / grub on the first boot of the restored system. I'm specifying IMAGING the systems and not cloning them as...
  5. Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect

Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect: In the past I was able to restore a Disk Image in the Windows 10 interface without using the Rescue Disk. Lately this is no longer possible and restoration through the Rescue Disk is the only way now. This is not a big hassle but it is an unwelcome nag. Is it possible to go...
  6. Macrium Restore Image

Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...
  7. Questions concerning restored images in macrium

Questions concerning restored images in macrium: I know cloning a drive will in essence replicate it, but I have a question about imaging your OS and data partitions. If you image the OS and data partitions and restore them on a target drive...... will the restored target drive be able to boot Windows or just...
  8. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  9. SSD w/ OS "disappears"; Macrium disk image restore brings it back[?]

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD w/ OS "disappears"; Macrium disk image restore brings it back[?]: A couple of days ago, I booted up my PC, which has an SSD OS C drive and a conventional D drive for data storage, and the boot failed. So, I booted into Windows RE/Troubleshooting. "Reset this PC" was not available. In "Advanced options", "Startup Settings" was missing, and...
  10. External HD space not restored after deleting macrium image.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External HD space not restored after deleting macrium image.: I booted with macrium 7.1 rescue media usb stick. After verifying new image, deleted old image. As there is no recycle bin, I thought it is permenantly deleted. But when I booted, I found space not restored for deledted image. I made one more image again in normal laptop...