Windows 10: Issues after updating Windows 10 to version 1809: 1) Every restart changes everything back...

Discus and support Issues after updating Windows 10 to version 1809: 1) Every restart changes everything back... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After updating to version 1809, I am thinking something got messed up on my computer. Here what happened: The first time turning on the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LetsRowl, Oct 4, 2018.

1. LetsRowl Win User

Issues after updating Windows 10 to version 1809: 1) Every restart changes everything back...

After updating to version 1809, I am thinking something got messed up on my computer. Here what happened:

The first time turning on the computer after the update, it came to my profile login screen, I put in my password and it told me the user profile didn't exist. Tried the password a few times with the same result. I did a restart. My log in screen came up again, I put my password in and this time it worked. However, after the login was completed, it looked like all my data was gone. The desktop was empty (my files were not there) and the wallpaper was Windows default (not my picture), all my programs were not in the system tray, no files in My Documents/Music, etc... After a quick freak out, I did a google search and discovered that all my files were still there at C:\users\myusername - however the system is now pointing to a new temp profile: C:\users\TEMP.computername.001. This is issue #1 and I am guessing there might be a simple fix for this.

However, as I was troubleshooting, I did a couple of restarts and I noticed that after each restart, after logging in the system would revert back to a "first time" experience. My system tray went back to default, the games that I uninstalled were back, MS Edge opened up telling me what was new in Windows 10... I did this several times where I would make changes (add programs to the system tray, delete the unwanted games), then restart and each time it would revert back to default (games were back, my added programs to the system tray were gone). However if I shutdown and then turned it back on, this did not happen. I am thinking this is a much bigger issue that the first.

Regretfully, I do not have any restore points to revert back to so I am guessing my only action is to use the Settings > Recovery > Go back to previous version of Windows 10. Before I do that, I wanted to ask to see if there is something else I should try. Thanks for the help!

:)

LetsRowl, Oct 4, 2018

2. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Oct 4, 2018
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    windows 10 says it needs to update for security reasons, then updates and restarts, then upon restart it restores the previous version

Hi Kathleen,

One of the usual reasons why you are experiencing this issue can be because of corrupted or missing system files that are interrupting the update process. We would like to know the following to isolate the root cause of the issue:

• Were you able to login to the computer before it updates and restarts?
    • Which version of Windows 10 are you using? Is it Windows 10 1703 or Windows 10 1709?

If you are using the Windows 10 version 1703 or 1709, we suggest setting up the
    Active hours on your computer to prevent automatic restart. This will help us perform the needed troubleshooting steps without the computer suddenly restarting.

Kindly follow the steps below to set it:

• Open your Settings.
    • Choose Update & security.
    • Under Windows Update, choose change active hours.
    • Choose the time where you will perform the troubleshooting steps.

Issues after updating Windows 10 to version 1809: 1) Every restart changes everything back... 361c867f-5818-486d-a8c8-584c71119097.png
    • After you successfully set it up, we recommend downloading the troubleshooter on this article and run it:
      Windows Update Troubleshooter.
      This will identify the root cause of the issue and provide the appropriate fix for it.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Mayra Aqu, Oct 4, 2018
  4. 3Colors Win User

Issues after updating Windows 10 to version 1809: 1) Every restart changes everything back...

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Issues after updating Windows 10 to version 1809: 1) Every restart changes everything back... :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Issues after updating Windows 10 to version 1809: 1) Every restart changes everything back... - Similar Threads - Issues updating version

2. Windows explorer restarting every 1 after windows update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows explorer restarting every 1 after windows update.: Since ~12th October 2020, any time I run a windows update it causes windows explorer to be unable to stay open, I'm left looking at a black screen with the taskbar flashing as explorer restarts again and again. I've tried booting in safe mode and uninstalling my display...
  3. Every time it updates it changes everything.

Every time it updates it changes everything.: Whenever it updates twice now it takes me out of chrome and all my bookmarks are lost. Takes all my pictures, clears out shortcuts I had on the desktop etc. Only it's really not gone, I found it in WindowsC>Users . It's in the folder with my name but there are other folders....
  4. Resolution issue with Windows Update version 1809

in Windows 10 Customization
    Resolution issue with Windows Update version 1809: Since the recent Windows update Version 1809 (Build: 17763.292), we are experiencing issues with the Resolution Settings for Multiple Displays. For our application it is crucial that the external monitor is running on a resolution in duplicate mode, which is not the...
  5. Battery drain issue after update 1809 version

Battery drain issue after update 1809 version: After update 1809 version my laptop battery is draining fast and which it'll automatically shut down when 25% . how can this be fixed? are you going to provide updates for it? please help...
  6. Everything crashes after the Windows 10 1809 update!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Everything crashes after the Windows 10 1809 update!: After the October update that my PC did every game that is a bit heavy to process crashes when I try to open it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/everything-crashes-after-the-windows-10-1809/b6e969cb-798f-4863-88d9-0df28dd594b9
  7. Audio issue after upgrading to Windows 10, Version 1809

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio issue after upgrading to Windows 10, Version 1809: I'm seeing an issue on multiple computers when I upgrade to the latest Windows 10 build (1809). It's a little funky on when it shows up but it's a pretty major issue for me and I'm curious if any one else has seen it. The main issue I have is that I'm trying to use Assigned...
  8. Windows update to version 1809 led to the issue

Windows update to version 1809 led to the issue: My folders and files are locked and I cannot use them. I decided to check the administrator account and followed the steps: Properties>Advanced > Administrators. I was terrified to find a lot of unknown entries with a long sequence of numbers and letters. I cannot delete...
  9. Windows 10 random restarts after 1809 Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 random restarts after 1809 Update: Hello there, I have a problem with random restarts after 1809 update. It's like black screen and after 1-2 seconds Windows restarts.Four (4) times happened after this update. I must tell you that I have never had any problems like these before. Everything was fine untill...
  10. I notice after upgrading to the Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809, everything on...

I notice after upgrading to the Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809, everything on...: I notice everything on screen is much larger, such as the taskbar, start menu and desktop icons. How can make them smaller....