Windows 10: Issues booting windows off SSD

Discus and support Issues booting windows off SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For the past two days I have been trying to install and boot windows off a 120GB inland professional SSD. I have created a USB install using both Rufus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Carson Gray, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Issues booting windows off SSD

For the past two days I have been trying to install and boot windows off a 120GB inland professional SSD. I have created a USB install using both Rufus and Microsofts own creation tool. I am able to boot into my USB to be able to install windows and it appears to complete, but the BIOS still will not boot into the SSD. I have tried to install windows in both UEFI mode and BIOS mode with CSM disabled and enabled.

With CSM disabled no matter what I do, the SSD does not show up as an option to be able to be booted to. I have made sure it is GPT with diskpart before starting the windows install but it still does not show up after windows finishes installing.

With CSM enabled I am able to see the SSD in the boot order, but when I try to boot into the SSD it just tells me to reboot and select proper boot device no matter what I do. I have been able to successfully install windows on to a different HDD, and from there I tried to clone the windows on the HDD to the SSD, but it was still not recognized in the BIOS.

The motherboard I'm using is a Gigabyte A320M-S2H on the latest BIOS update. Here is analbum of screenshots from my BIOS if that is any helpful

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

:)

Carson Gray, Jun 14, 2020

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 14, 2020
  3. Jborg Win User
    windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Jun 14, 2020
  4. 2BearArmy Win User

Issues booting windows off SSD

Random Disappearing/Reappearing SSD on Boot

Config:

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3
    OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 480GB SSD
    Corsair 850W PSU
    2x HD 6950 GPU's

My desktop has a 480GB SSD main drive (OS and games), and two secondary HDD's for media storage.

I have had no issues with this SSD, until I tried to add a second video card to my system, and subsequently had to remove it. After a couple re-installs and finally getting the Crossfire to work, I am still in this broken state.

Symptom:

If I put my computer to sleep, restart, power down, it is a complete gamble as to whether or not the system will see the boot drive. What is consistent, is that after a seemingly random interval, it will eventually see the drive and boot straight to windows.

Troubleshooting Steps:

• Reset Bios
    • Removed all other options for bootable devices
    • Re-installed Windows
    • Updated all OS drivers
    • Updated firmware for both the MoBo bios and the SSD.
    • Replaced all SATA cables
    • Moved to another SATA controller port
    • Switched power cables
    • SSDLife came back saying the drive is healthy
    I am literally out of ideas at this point, and the issue is extremely annoying. Sometimes my boot times are 30 seconds (if it sees the drive) sometimes it's 20 minutes (constant reboots until it sees the drive).

Anyone have any other ideas, or have seen this before?

2BearArmy, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

Issues booting windows off SSD

1. Issues booting windows off SSD - Similar Threads - Issues booting off

2. Booting off of new NVME SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting off of new NVME SSD.: I got myself a new NVME SSD. I want to move my OS from my old SSD to it. When I cloned my SSD with windows files to the NVME, I discovered my hard drive with only games on it, is set as the 'Boot Manager' in my BIOS. If I disconnect my SSD and try to boot my pc, I get an...
  3. Booting up off of an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting up off of an SSD: I got a new SSD and installed windows onto it. I haven’t been able to set it to the boot drive and not my system off the SSD so my system still currently boots up off of a hard drive. I’ve gone into the BIOS and changed the SSD to the boot option 1, but whenever I set it as...
  4. Ssd Boot issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ssd Boot issues: This may be confusing, but I will do my best to explain. I took my ssd from my pc and put it into a laptop. After doing my work on the laptop, I took the ssd back out and put it into my pc. The computer will start up and say remove all disks and other media. I went into the...
  5. SSD Booting Issue - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Booting Issue - Windows 10: Hi all, I have an issue with a cloned hard drive that is really bugging me and I'm hoping it is an easy fix for someone. I recently cloned an old hard drive to a new SSD (laptop). All went well, all partitions copied correctly with no errors. However, the new SSD would not...
  6. Cannot Boot off of Cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cannot Boot off of Cloned SSD: I recently got a new ssd to use alongside an hdd in my pc. I tried to clone my hdd to my ssd using three different software: EaseUS Partition Master (Did not work since every action seemed to be behind a paywall?), Macrium Reflect (Did not work as I received an error about...
  7. Unresponsive SSD / Windows Booting issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unresponsive SSD / Windows Booting issue: Hello all, I recently had my computer freeze while doing normal browsing activities. After resetting my PC, it would boot directly into my BIOS but after saving and exiting the computer would restart into bios again. My SSD shows up in BIOS and my PC is set to boot from...
  8. SSD and HDD boot sequence off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD and HDD boot sequence off: I have a peculiar problem. I have a dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. It was running windows 10 as primary OS and Ubuntu as secondary with grub as boot manager. I got frequent BSODs so thought may be the HDD was dying so removed the HDD and replaced it with an SSD and did a clean...
  9. SSD BOOT Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD BOOT Issue: I am having an issue with a Samsung EVO 860 500GB which HD Sentinel flags up a high number of CRC errors which the advice from HD Sentinel was to change the data cable which I have done but the CRC errors continued to increase. Today I changed the data cables again but now...
  10. Locked SSD and boot issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Locked SSD and boot issues: So my computer froze and I restarted it. and I ran into a bunch of boot issues. In all Scenarios, all fans,case lighting, GPU lights turn on and stay on. -When I reset the PC, it goes to the bios screen and my motherboard Dr. Debug shows A9 ( failure to post). While at...