Windows 10: Issues connecting to network share

Discus and support Issues connecting to network share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I've been having quite a bit of trouble connecting from my laptop to two different NAS in my local network. The exact error is Error code... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KennyVNQ, Dec 19, 2018.

1. KennyVNQ Win User

Issues connecting to network share

Hello,

I've been having quite a bit of trouble connecting from my laptop to two different NAS in my local network.

The exact error is Error code 0x80004005 (Unspecified error) when I try and type in either the IP or hostname of the two targeted systems.

I was able to connect just fine in the past, sadly I can not pinpoint the exact time the stuff stopped working.

Also, until yesterday I was able to connect to the network drives using my laptops's WiFi adapter but unable using the USB to ethernet adapter of my docking station. Then, possibly due to some fiddling with the settings, also my WiFI adapter's connection was not able to connect to the network drive.

I have done the following:

-Tried connecting to two different network shares using both \\<hostname> and \\<IP>

-Confirmed that the SMB server is actually running by connecting to it with my phone. (Also previously I only had this issue with one adapter, so I could confirm with a different network adapter.)

-Confirmed I can connect to the SMB server's machine by pinging and connecting via SSH

-Confirmed the network is set to private

-Tried out this guide:

Source: https://www.kapilarya.com/the-network-path-was-not-found-0x80070035-windows-10
    -Checked if these services are running:

--DHCP Client

--Net.Tcp port Sharing Service

--Network Connections

--Network List Service

--Network Location Awareness

--TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Edit: Even though, they're not listed in the linked guide, I've checked these services, too:

--DNS Client

--Function Discovery Resource Publication

--Server

--SSDP Discovery

--UPnP Device Host

--Workstation

-Disabled the Windows Firewall

-Reinstalled the network adapter's driver, also tried an earlier version from this year

-Turned network discovery on and off, same with Use password protected sharing

-Turned NetBIOS over TCP/IP on*

-Restarted Laptop, SMB Server and Router

-Tried out setting the network share to different SMB versions

-Did a "network reset", this is when things got worse.**

-I've had SMBv1 enabled under additional features during most of the testing, but lastly I've turned it off without success.

* I have had difficulties actually getting this setting to turn on. I have then tried this workaround: https://www.dell.com/community/Networking-Internet-Bluetooth/Dell-Dock-TB16-NetBIOS-over-Tcpip-Always-Disabled/td-p/5166473

Then, the adapter showed NetBios over TCP/IP as enabled, however I was still not able to connect. Also, I've read that SMB doesn't use it anymore.

** This is when the WiFi adapter stopped being able to connect to the network drive.

Now I'm running out of ideas and thigns to try, although I can't guarantee I've tried every possible permutation of settings.
    I'm also not quite sure if I really understand what is needed for Windows to access a network drive. It would already help me if someone could give me a quick rundown of what which service is supposed to do during normal operation, so I might see where a possible problem could be.

Things I'm thinking about trying out, but unsure if they even make sense:

-Set up a dedicated DHCP and DNS server (I'm not sure, what parts of network infrastructure can interfere with file sharing. I was thinking this could rule out "bad" DHCP leases for example.)

-Using netcat or something on the target system to see if Windows actually even tries to connect in some way. (I'd appreciate any debugging advice really.)

I'd also appreciate any input on whether or not NetBIOS as well as SMBv1 are actually needed, too.

I really hope that someone has another idea on how to fix things, because I'm mostly out of ideas.

:)

KennyVNQ, Dec 19, 2018
  2. stab244 Win User

Sharing network connection

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone is having issues with sharing their internet connection with other devices after a recent update to Windows 10. After installing KB3176936 and KB3176934, I am unable to share my network. My current setup has my laptop connected to the home Wi-Fi and then sharing that Wi-Fi connection through the ethernet port on my laptop to my Raspberry Pi 2. Before the update, I was able to set my home network as public and network sharing would still work. Now I need to change it to Private first before the network can be shared. The issue I have with this though is that it creates a network from my laptop named "DIRECT-WR[computer name here]" which I don't want to show up in network lists. Anyway to set my network to private without creating that other network? Or to share it without setting my Wi-Fi connection as private? Thanks.

stab244, Dec 19, 2018
  3. Mel Tar Win User
    No network connection

Hello Graham,

To resolve your concern about wireless network issues, please click the link below and follow the suggested troubleshooting steps:

Let us know how it goes.

Mel Tar, Dec 19, 2018
  4. Issues connecting to network share

Can I share a network connection from a VM to the host OS?

hmm, i will assumer no responces = no, i cannot share it... lucky me, i finally got it to work in 7 with steps pretty close... Program Files > Pantech is where you will need to point windows to inorder to the card running in 7... though it would be nice to be able to share hardware and network connections from a VM to the host PC...

beyond_amusia, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

Issues connecting to network share

1. Issues connecting to network share - Similar Threads - Issues connecting network

2. Network Sharing Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Sharing Issue: I could access \\OtherUserPcName and enter their PC to view his shared file/folder, but others could not access \\MyPcName to view my shared folder. I have checked all the necessary options in network sharing setting, and my connection is set to private.Are there any settings...
  3. Network Sharing Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Sharing Issue: I could access \\OtherUserPcName and enter their PC to view his shared file/folder, but others could not access \\MyPcName to view my shared folder. I have checked all the necessary options in network sharing setting, and my connection is set to private.Are there any settings...
  4. Network Share Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Share Issues: Hi, I've 2 PC's, called Desktop and Server from here on a home network. Desktop is an old homebuilt PC that started on Windows 7 and upgrade. It has a local account and an outlook account on it. However, everything is setup on the local account so that's my main account....
  5. Network Sharing Issues

Network Sharing Issues: Just recently bought a new desktop computer with Windows 10 and I'm trying to connect through a network to my Windows 7 desktop computer but unable to. However, I'm able to connect the network from Windows 7 to Windows 10 no problems. I watched about 30 different You Tube...
  6. Network Sharing Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Sharing Issues: Hi All Recently purchased a new laptop with windows 10. Attempting to share files mainly on the VLC app on an amazon firestick. Devices can see my laptop but are unable to log in. Im not being prompted for a password. Once i select the pc and navigate to it it just sits on a...
  7. Network sharing issues

Network sharing issues: I am having issues with opening a Microsoft access database through the network sharing system. The access database Is shared between 3 other desktop computers from my main computer which the database is downloaded on. The database works fine on the main desktop because it...
  8. Network Share Issue

Network Share Issue: Hi I posted here before about a network share issue I am having. Here's the story so far About two weeks ago I could share over my network via SMB,then that weekend there was an update to windows defender on saturday night,since then I haven't being able to share smb on...
  9. Network Sharing and Connecting

Network Sharing and Connecting: I'm Not Able To Connect Other Devices In Same Wifi Network I Tried To Change My PC Settings But Still Facing Same Issue. Can Anyone Suggest Me what I Should Do To Solve This Problem So I Can See Other Device Data and To Use Printer As Well....
  10. Sharing network connection

Sharing network connection: Hello, I'm wondering if anyone is having issues with sharing their internet connection with other devices after a recent update to Windows 10. After installing KB3176936 and KB3176934, I am unable to share my network. My current setup has my laptop connected to the home...