Windows 10: Issues connecting to network shares from Win10 Pro

Discus and support Issues connecting to network shares from Win10 Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In the last month one of our pcs Win10 Pro is facing a strange issue to connect to network shares on one single server. In the morning, after booting,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MA_Errico, Jan 21, 2021.

1. MA_Errico Win User

Issues connecting to network shares from Win10 Pro

In the last month one of our pcs Win10 Pro is facing a strange issue to connect to network shares on one single server.

In the morning, after booting, the pc is able to re-connect to network shares on two other servers and it fails to reconnect to the shares on "SERVER_A".

Opening a command prompt, I can observe the following:

- both "nbtstat -a NETBIOSNAME_SERVER_A" and "nbtstat -A IP_SERVER_A" return the correct information regarding the server

- "nbtstat -c" has the netbios name and ip of SERVER_A

- typically, "net view \\IP_SERVER_A" returns the list of the folders shared on SERVER_A

- typically, "net view \\NETBIOSNAME_SERVER_A" hangs without any error message ... only way out is Ctrl-C or close the window

- at time these last two conditions are reversed ... list is returned only with NetBIOS name and not with IP. This last case is quite interesting as if it was just an issue of resolving the NetBIOS name, I should always be able to list the shares via IP ... which is not the case.

TEMPORARY SOLUTION

- force the deletion of all network maps "net use * /delete”

- reboot

- re-map network shares

NOTE

I have multiple pc connected on the LAN and using the same server/shares and none of them have this issue

:)

MA_Errico, Jan 21, 2021

2. Network Sharing

Hi Arya,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you trying to share the wireless network connection from Windows device to phone?
    2. What is the make and model of the phone?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?
    Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

If you’re referring to sharing the Wireless network connection in Windows 10, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Press Windows + I key on your keyboard and click on Network & Internet.
    2. On the network & Internet page, click on ‘Mobile hotspot’.
    3. Turn On’ Share my Internet connection with other devices under Mobile hotspot.
    4. The default network name and password will be available under Mobile hotspot.
    5. Enter the same password on the device which you’re trying to connect and check the status of the issue.

If you’re trying to share the internet connection, then refer the article
    Use your PC as a mobile hotspot
    for more information.

If you’re referring to ‘File sharing’, I suggest you to refer the section ‘How do I troubleshoot sharing and folders’ from the article ‘File
    sharing over a network in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jan 21, 2021
  3. Network Sharing Issues

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

We would like you to perform these steps and check.

Step 1: Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click
      Network
      . (Or you type ncpa.cpl into the search box, and press ENTER).
    2. Click on the Network and Sharing Center, and then click Manage Network Connections.
    3. Right click on the Local Area Connection or the connection you are using, and then select
      Properties.
    4. Select the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
    5. Click the Advanced button under the General tab.
    6. Click the WINS tab.
    7. Click the Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button. Click
      Ok.

Step 2: Access shared drive using IP Address.

Try accessing the shared drive by using the IP Address of the other PC and check.

Step 3: Temporarily Disable Firewall and check. Disable Firewall one computer at a time.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jan 21, 2021
  4. stab244 Win User

Sharing network connection

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone is having issues with sharing their internet connection with other devices after a recent update to Windows 10. After installing KB3176936 and KB3176934, I am unable to share my network. My current setup has my laptop connected to the home Wi-Fi and then sharing that Wi-Fi connection through the ethernet port on my laptop to my Raspberry Pi 2. Before the update, I was able to set my home network as public and network sharing would still work. Now I need to change it to Private first before the network can be shared. The issue I have with this though is that it creates a network from my laptop named "DIRECT-WR[computer name here]" which I don't want to show up in network lists. Anyway to set my network to private without creating that other network? Or to share it without setting my Wi-Fi connection as private? Thanks.

stab244, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Issues connecting to network shares from Win10 Pro - Similar Threads - Issues connecting network

2. Windows 11 Pro Network Sharing issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro Network Sharing issue.: I have shared the c drive for everyone, on two HP Computers, have enabled SMB File Sharing, and all other relevant Shares, Have Given access to everyone under advanced sharing. I can see the shared Drive, from the other Windows 11 Computer but no matter what I do It will not...
  3. Windows 11 Pro Network Sharing issue.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro Network Sharing issue.: I have shared the c drive for everyone, on two HP Computers, have enabled SMB File Sharing, and all other relevant Shares, Have Given access to everyone under advanced sharing. I can see the shared Drive, from the other Windows 11 Computer but no matter what I do It will not...
  4. Network Share Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Share Issues: Hi, I've 2 PC's, called Desktop and Server from here on a home network. Desktop is an old homebuilt PC that started on Windows 7 and upgrade. It has a local account and an outlook account on it. However, everything is setup on the local account so that's my main account....
  5. Network Sharing Issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Sharing Issues: Hi All Recently purchased a new laptop with windows 10. Attempting to share files mainly on the VLC app on an amazon firestick. Devices can see my laptop but are unable to log in. Im not being prompted for a password. Once i select the pc and navigate to it it just sits on a...
  6. Issues connecting to network share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues connecting to network share: Hello, I've been having quite a bit of trouble connecting from my laptop to two different NAS in my local network. The exact error is Error code 0x80004005 (Unspecified error) when I try and type in either the IP or hostname of the two targeted systems. I was able to...
  7. accessing Network share on other Win10 pro box.

accessing Network share on other Win10 pro box.: for the life of me Windows 10 with LAN network file explorer is Attrocius... I have 2 Win10 pro right next to each on a gigabit switch, basically my son and mine and i can not access any shares on his C drive cant even access it via default share C$, my son is logged in with...
  8. Problem with accessing network shares on Win10 pc from Win10 laptop

Problem with accessing network shares on Win10 pc from Win10 laptop: So I'm having a problem that appeared fairly recently (about a week ago). I have shared some directories on my PC that I use as a file server, and I have mounted those as network drives on my laptop. This allows me to play my entire Steam library from the server, which has...
  9. Network Sharing and Connecting

Network Sharing and Connecting: I'm Not Able To Connect Other Devices In Same Wifi Network I Tried To Change My PC Settings But Still Facing Same Issue. Can Anyone Suggest Me what I Should Do To Solve This Problem So I Can See Other Device Data and To Use Printer As Well....
  10. Sharing network connection

Sharing network connection: Hello, I'm wondering if anyone is having issues with sharing their internet connection with other devices after a recent update to Windows 10. After installing KB3176936 and KB3176934, I am unable to share my network. My current setup has my laptop connected to the home...