Windows 10: Issues installing & running Windows XP SP3 in Hyper V

Discus and support Issues installing & running Windows XP SP3 in Hyper V in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I'm playing around with Windows XP as a VM in Hyper V for reasons I won't go into. I have a bootable Windows XP SP3 CD I created some time ago. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Steve C, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Steve C Win User

Issues installing & running Windows XP SP3 in Hyper V

I'm playing around with Windows XP as a VM in Hyper V for reasons I won't go into. I have a bootable Windows XP SP3 CD I created some time ago. I've hit the following issues.

• I can install XP from the CD but Hyper V seems to want access to the bootable CD whenever the VM is restarted. It would be faster to use an ISO file stored on a SSD. I've tried various ways to create a bootable ISO file from my CD but failed. What's the best way of creating an ISO file which will install XP and run under Hyper V?
    • I installed a virtual switch using a legacy network adapter but cannot connect the VM to the internet. Has anyone done this and what are the key steps? Is it safe to use XP to connect to internet from Hyper V?
    • I mounted the VM's .vhdx file to copy over some programs to test but this broke the VM's virtual drive configuration on restarting the VM. What's the best way to transfer files to the VM from elsewhere on my PC?

:)

Steve C, Jun 12, 2019
  2. Cybot Win User

Hyper-V guest windows XP help needed

this isn't so much an issue with Hyper-V as it is an issue with the needing to locate a published update for the guest OS (Windows XP Pro SP3)

Cybot, Jun 12, 2019
  3. MarkY1166 Win User
    Product key for XP not working in Hyper V

But my point is, the CD key I'm entering CAME OFF THE WINDOWS XP disc! ...WHY and how would or could that not be valid , since it came off the actual disc? Plus, why would Hyper V not be compatible with XP, since one of the very purposes of Hyper V is
    to possibly run OLDER OS's thru it, for compatibility testing,etc. Lastly, there are actual step by step tutorials with pictures where guys are using Hyper V to run XP et al on Windows 10, so there's that...

MarkY1166, Jun 12, 2019
  4. Issues installing & running Windows XP SP3 in Hyper V

Is it possible to get a Windows XP SP3 Hyper-V virtual machine properly working on Windows 10 Pro?

Objective summary: to have a Windows XP SP3 Hyper-V virtual machine working correctly on a Windows 10 Pro host.

Scope and constraints:

• The host OS should be Windows 10 Pro. Other hosting operating systems or versions are out of this scope.
    • The virtualization hypervisor should be Microsoft Hyper-V. Other hypervisors like VMWare or Virtual Box are out of this scope.
    • The Windows XP virtual machine is expected to be working correctly. A Windows XP with missing drivers is not acceptable.

This question is not a duplicate in the Super User community.

I started with the recommendations enumerated on the "Get official Windows XP virtual machine for Hyper-V" question. I was able to get a new Windows XP SP3 virtual machine installation. However, there was a problem with this installation, as it could not finish successfully. Several critical drivers were missing, and this makes the virtual machine unusable.

Then, I found the missing software drivers problem in the form of the "No VGA and sound driver installed in XP guest machine in Hyper-v virtualization" question. Unfortunately, this question remains unsolved. The responses provided so far by the community are either incomplete, inconclusive or out of scope.

The more research I conduct on this topic, the closer I get to the conclusion that this is not going to be achievable. I would like feedback from the community to confirm or deny this thesis.

Thank you.

Lesair Valmont, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

Issues installing & running Windows XP SP3 in Hyper V

1. Issues installing & running Windows XP SP3 in Hyper V - Similar Threads - Issues installing running

2. xp sp3 offline

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xp sp3 offline: does anyone know if i can still download XP SP 3 Offline version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xp-sp3-offline/d4dd03f6-274b-4de7-9335-387814c8dee7
  3. xp sp3 offline

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    xp sp3 offline: does anyone know if i can still download XP SP 3 Offline version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xp-sp3-offline/d4dd03f6-274b-4de7-9335-387814c8dee7
  4. Windows XP SP3 installation using Hyper-V in Window-10 IOT Enterprise LTSB 2016.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows XP SP3 installation using Hyper-V in Window-10 IOT Enterprise LTSB 2016.: Hello, we have installed Windows XP SP3 using inbuilt Virtual Machine feature of OS (Hyper-V) in Window-10 IOT Enterprise LTSB 2016. we have faced following issues, 1) while installing XP why Hyper-V does not asked for Product Key?. 2) After Installation, No Network...
  5. Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V: I'm running Windows XP on Windows 10 with Hyper-V. How do I share files between XP and the c drive on my physical computer? This was so easy with VPC 2007. 29817
  6. Running hyper-v and vmare on same windows install.

Running hyper-v and vmare on same windows install.: You cannot run vmware and hyper-v at same time, but you can set up windows to do one or other, selecting which at boot time, From an administrative command prompt make a copy of current boot menu and label it with a suitable label e.g. "No Hyper-V". Note the first command...
  7. No full screen console in Windows XP running as Hyper-V guest

No full screen console in Windows XP running as Hyper-V guest: I have an old DOS program that runs fine in a console window under native Windows XP. I've setup a shortcut on the XP machines and selected full screen. When the application runs it opens full screen. On a Windows 10 with a Hyper-V instance of Windows XP the application is...
  8. Hyper-V, Windows XP, how to enable sound?

Hyper-V, Windows XP, how to enable sound?: Hi, I just created a virtual machine with Windows XP. Now I'd like to get the sound working in the virtual machine. But I can't see how. Can anyone help, please? 30409
  9. Display Drivers for XP Not working in Hyper-V

Display Drivers for XP Not working in Hyper-V: Hello Everyone! Thank you a head of time for you time and efforts! THE QUESTION: How do I fix my display drivers in XP in my win10 Hyper-v virtual machine? WHAT HAPPENED: Installed XP in Hyper-V (Win10). For some reason now the display drivers are not installing....
  10. Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.

Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.: I have them both set up, but I don't seem to have any options to enable any sound in the hardware section of Hyper-V. Is it not possible to use these operating systems with sound? I used to use Windows Virtual PC 2007 and sound worked perfectly on those, both on 98 and XP....