Windows 10: Issues on boot up

Discus and support Issues on boot up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a old Lenovo SL500 that I use as a cheap media box. I've got Windows 10 installed on it and it has been running great up until this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Howski, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Howski Win User

Issues on boot up

Hi,

I have a old Lenovo SL500 that I use as a cheap media box. I've got Windows 10 installed on it and it has been running great up until this morning. When I came down it was not responding to RDP requests and it was not listed on Teamviewer. Looking at the machine all there was was a black screen so no aid on whats wrong. I rebooted and all I get after POST is the flashing underscore.

Since that I have tried:

* tried f8 to get in to safe mode, no joy

* Booting into Linux from a pen drive (can see the hard drive but its locked and cannot access it)

* Booting in to the windows recovery console and tried a repair (failed)

* Tried a system restore point (failed)

* Tried CHKDSK /f/R (seems to finish fine with 0 bad sectors but I get the error message "failed to transfer logged messages status 50" - I think thats "normal" when running it from install media)

* Tried fixing and restore post CHKDSK same issues

* SFC /SCANNOW

* BOOTREC /SCANOS (says 0 windows installs found!)

So I am running out of ideas. It seems the Hard drive is fine as CHKDSK is fine but either the boot sector or the OS thats buggered. Before I hose it, is there something I have missed that I can try that is non-destructive that does not involve me re-installing all my programs?

Its not got too much on it from memory the programs I'd installed were:

* Bitdefender
    * Firefox
    * Aceviewer media player
    * Sop player
    * VLC
    * Flash (yeah I know)

Thanks in advance!

:)

Howski, Oct 16, 2015

2. Boot up issue

Hello,

To help resolve your concern, kindly follow the troubleshooting steps created by
    Ramesh Kumar on this

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Raymond Ave, Oct 16, 2015
  3. D.--- Win User
    Boot up issue

Upon booting up the desktop computer, the blue Windows 10 icon appears, but does nothing. In order to actually boot up, I have to do a soft boot. How can I fix this so it just boots up correctly?

D.---, Oct 16, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Issues on boot up

Try to boot into recovery console then type: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    Then try F8 again to see if it works

EDIT: BTW, was your Windows installed using UEFI ? or MBR ?

topgundcp, Oct 16, 2015
  5. Howski Win User
    I am not sure how I know. I just installed it as pretty much default on this one from a clean hard drive. Does 10 not use the same tools?

Howski, Oct 16, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    From the Command Console. Type: diskpart then type list disk as shown below:

Issues on boot up [​IMG]

If there's an asterisk under GPT column of your Windows OS disk then your Windows was installed using UEFI else MBR.

topgundcp, Oct 16, 2015
  7. Howski Win User
    It can see 2 partitions, neither have an asterisk next to them

Howski, Oct 16, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

Issues on boot up

topgundcp, Oct 16, 2015
  9. Howski Win User
    Cheers. It 1 am here but I will give that a try tomorrow

Howski, Oct 16, 2015
  10. Howski Win User
    That did the trick. Thanks ever so much. I wonder what caused it

Howski, Oct 16, 2015
  11. skwiot Win User
    I have had the same issue, but when I tried to fix it in the way mentioned, it said that system32/hal.dll is missing or corrupt. and it will restart itself when a key is pressed.

skwiot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Issues on boot up

1. Issues on boot up - Similar Threads - Issues boot

2. windows 11 Home Boot issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 Home Boot issues: Hello, I'm currently using Windows 11 Home. Yesterday, while installing my AMD Vega iGPU driver with AMD Adrenaline, my PC encountered a BSOD. Unfortunately, the error code flashed by too quickly for me to catch.After the BSOD, my PC restarted but can't boot anymore. It keeps...
  3. windows 11 Home Boot issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 Home Boot issues: Hello, I'm currently using Windows 11 Home. Yesterday, while installing my AMD Vega iGPU driver with AMD Adrenaline, my PC encountered a BSOD. Unfortunately, the error code flashed by too quickly for me to catch.After the BSOD, my PC restarted but can't boot anymore. It keeps...
  4. Safe boot issues on windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safe boot issues on windows 11.: I have windows 11. In BIOS settings it says safe boot enabled, in msinfo32 it says disabled. Ive searched for many solutions on the internet for months now. What I found is I suppose it is like that because I launch my windows in other OS mode. When I swithc it to Windows...
  5. Safe boot issues on windows 11.

Safe boot issues on windows 11.: I have windows 11. In BIOS settings it says safe boot enabled, in msinfo32 it says disabled. Ive searched for many solutions on the internet for months now. What I found is I suppose it is like that because I launch my windows in other OS mode. When I swithc it to Windows...
  6. Boot files Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot files Issue: Dell Inspiron 3793Windows 10 My laptop was working fine all day, then I did a Reboot and it wouldn't start up, just a black screen with the mouse cursor. I did a Software Repair and the error said "Boot files issue detected" but it was not able to repair it.I called Dell and...
  7. Boot files Issue

Boot files Issue: Dell Inspiron 3793Windows 10 My laptop was working fine all day, then I did a Reboot and it wouldn't start up, just a black screen with the mouse cursor. I did a Software Repair and the error said "Boot files issue detected" but it was not able to repair it.I called Dell and...
  8. Boot files Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Hi iam having an issue when the pc is booting it beeps 11 times

Hi iam having an issue when the pc is booting it beeps 11 times: when the pc is booting it beeps 11 times but it displays normally the windows and everything and i have an h410 board so when I searched by beeping code i found out that that's a cache error but i don't understand why and how that happened and what to do to fix that.. right...
  10. Hi iam having an issue when the pc is booting it beeps 11 times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hi iam having an issue when the pc is booting it beeps 11 times: when the pc is booting it beeps 11 times but it displays normally the windows and everything and i have an h410 board so when I searched by beeping code i found out that that's a cache error but i don't understand why and how that happened and what to do to fix that.. right...