Windows 10: Issues Reactivating Windows Ten after Motherboard Upgrade

Discus and support Issues Reactivating Windows Ten after Motherboard Upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello! I recently upgraded the motherboard on my PC from the one it originally came with. Now I am prompted to reactivate Windows, but cannot as it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Naeriie, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Naeriie Win User

Issues Reactivating Windows Ten after Motherboard Upgrade

Hello! I recently upgraded the motherboard on my PC from the one it originally came with. Now I am prompted to reactivate Windows, but cannot as it thinks the Windows product key has been activated on another device, when its the same device.

The original motherboard was from a LENOVO office computer I bought but I've replaced it an ASRock one since we had to change its case due to overheating and the old one wouldnt fit in the new case.

I dont know the product key that came with the LENOVO computer as it was already preinstalled and I don't know what to do as I'd really not like to have to purchase another copy of Windows.

So any help would be great!

:)

Naeriie, Apr 16, 2019
  2. mshimala Win User

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Apr 16, 2019
  3. WhyMe Win User
    New Motherboard and Reactivation

I **think** that if you are replacing a broken motherboard with an identical replacement then you have a good chance of successfully re-activating your current Win10 installation

Once you have installed your new identical motherboard to replace the broken one I recommend you do the following:
    • Speak to a Microsoft Activation Customer Service Representative on the phone.
    • You will be able to get the phone number via the activation screen in "Settings"
    • Clearly state that the motherboard used to initially activate Windows 10 had failed and needed to replaced
    • Clearly state that this is a repair and not an upgrade
    • Clearly state that you are replacing a defective motherboard with an identical like-for-like replacement (same make and model)
    • Clearly state again that this is definitely not an upgrade of your existing hardware

FYI, I have successfully re-activated previous versions of Windows after replacing a broken motherboard with an identical make and model. I used the method to ensure success.

If you are not 100% clear in the way you are expressing your self then you may not be successful. ie They will not re-activate if they believe you performed a major hardware upgrade

Good luck.

WhyMe, Apr 16, 2019
  4. Issues Reactivating Windows Ten after Motherboard Upgrade

Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Apr 16, 2019
Thema:

Issues Reactivating Windows Ten after Motherboard Upgrade

1. Issues Reactivating Windows Ten after Motherboard Upgrade - Similar Threads - Issues Reactivating Ten

2. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  3. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  4. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: Hi there. I recently had a significant hardware upgrade to my PC but am still using all the old hard drives, including the one I installed Windows 10 on many years ago. I've since lost my activation key, so I went to updates & security > activation in my settings and ran the...
  6. Issue trying to reactivate windows after upgrading cpu and motherboard

Issue trying to reactivate windows after upgrading cpu and motherboard: So recently upgraded cpu and motherboard now when I try to reactivate windows I initially get 0xC004F211 error when I try the troubleshoot icon I get the green box that has 'I changed hardware on this device recently', I log into my account and it takes me to a screen where...
  7. reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: My motherboard failed and I replaced it with a new board. Now windows 10 is prompting me to activate again. The activation code was embedded in the old motherboard and I don't have the code number. Activation says the code shown under system settings is not valid. Can I...
  8. [SOLVED]Issues Reactivating Windows Ten after Motherboard Upgrade

[SOLVED]Issues Reactivating Windows Ten after Motherboard Upgrade: Hello! I recently upgraded the motherboard on my PC from the one it originally came with. Now I am prompted to reactivate Windows, but cannot as it thinks the Windows product key has been activated on another device, when its the same device. The original motherboard was...
  9. Issues reactivating windows after changing motherboard

Issues reactivating windows after changing motherboard: Hey all. I replaced my motherboard on this computer earlier today, and haven't been able to activate windows. The windows license I had on this computer prior to replacing the motherboard was a Windows 10 pro license purchased directly from Microsoft about 2 years ago, when I...
  10. Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade.

Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade.: Hey all I recently upgraded my motherboard and tried reactivating windows by going to Activation clicking on troubleshoot and clicking on the option that says I changed hardware on this device recently and selecting my old computer unfortunately Im just greeted with the text...