Windows 10: Issues Restoring from WindowsImageBackup

Discus and support Issues Restoring from WindowsImageBackup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to restore a WindowsImageBackup file that I had created before sending my laptop in to HP for repairs. I am running Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sdmoser, May 27, 2016.

1. sdmoser Win User

Issues Restoring from WindowsImageBackup

Hello,

I am trying to restore a WindowsImageBackup file that I had created before sending my laptop in to HP for repairs. I am running Windows 10 and the backup was created using Windows 10 as well on my external Seagate FreeAgent Go hard drive. I have tried restoring from the Backup and Restore screen but it does not find my Restore file. Is there another way I am supposed to do this. Thanks for your help!

Sean

:)

sdmoser, May 27, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Restore System Image

You will never be offered the option - Windows is not flexible when it comes to system images.

I assume that you store your images in a separate group of folders from which to pick one to restore from. I do the same.

• As long as we always move the entire WindowsImageBackup folder each time then there should never be any problems.
    • All you need to do is complete your storage procedure by moving your latest WindowsImageBackup folder out of the root into a separate folder and then you can move your chosen WindowsImageBackup folder from your "library" back into the root.
    • It is always the image in WindowsImageBackup that will be offered for restoration even though it is not the latest one.

There is no alternative to this for Windows images unless you decide to simply add to the same image every time in WindowsImageBackup.

• By doing this, Windows will add whatever has changed since the last image so image making is also speeded up.
    • Windows would then ask you which date of image you wanted to restore from.
    • The problem with this approach is that Windows decides which bits of previous images to clean out of WindowsImageBackup [using rules that are not published] so you might wish to restore a particular one but it will not be offered to you if Windows has not
      kept it intact.

Denis

Tryx3, May 27, 2016
  3. Move the EXISTING system image backup to another disk

I found that I can RENAME WindowsImageBackup folder to have several images of my system. Also I learned that I must rename the one I want to use for restore back to WindowsImageBackup.

But the question is - can I MOVE the existing WindowsImageBackup folder to another drive? Or it contain some hidden/system attributed files which will not be copied and thus to be lost finally?

Thanks!

Константин Анисько, May 27, 2016
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Sounds like maybe the "repairs" included a clean install or reset of your Windows 10. Probably, Win 10 doesn't know anything about that backup on your ext drive. Try right clicking the Image itself on the ext drive and see if there is an option to open it with Windows Backup and Restore. If so, go from there. Sorry can't show you any screen shots because I do not use Windows backup and restore, I use Macrium Reflect. But, because it is a VHD ( maybe VHDX) file, it will be associated with the Windows backup and restore.

f14tomcat, May 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Issues Restoring from WindowsImageBackup - Similar Threads - Issues Restoring WindowsImageBackup

2. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?: I have taken a backup from my windows 10 laptop and and am trying to setup that backup on my new windows 11 laptop using the WindowsImageBackup folder which was created on my External HDD. I have used the method from the below link....
  3. How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore from Windowsimagebackup folder created on external HDD?: I have taken a backup from my windows 10 laptop and and am trying to setup that backup on my new windows 11 laptop using the WindowsImageBackup folder which was created on my External HDD. I have used the method from the below link....
  4. Recovery from "WindowsImagebackup"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery from "WindowsImagebackup": Prior to replacing the old SSD disk drive in my laptop, I completed a backup using the Windows 10 'Create System Image' option in Settings.I then tried unsuccessfully to restore that 'image' onto the new SSD disk drive.Microsoft Technical Support advised me that the...
  5. Recovery from "WindowsImagebackup"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recovery from "WindowsImagebackup": Prior to replacing the old SSD disk drive in my laptop, I completed a backup using the Windows 10 'Create System Image' option in Settings.I then tried unsuccessfully to restore that 'image' onto the new SSD disk drive.Microsoft Technical Support advised me that the...
  6. Recovery from "WindowsImagebackup"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. WindowsImageBackup USB Issues

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    WindowsImageBackup USB Issues: Hi, I have a HP laptop running Win10 20H2 (64 bit), which I made a "WindowsImageBackup" of, on a USB 3.0 external drive connected to one of the laptops USB 3.0 ports. However, when I boot into recovery (Trouble Shoot, Advanced Options, System Image Recovery) to restore the...
  8. Restore WindowsImageBackup with lost system password

Restore WindowsImageBackup with lost system password: How do I recover my lost System Password, please so that I can restore Windows 10 from WindowsImageBackup? 151690
  9. Restore from WindowsImageBackup

Restore from WindowsImageBackup: We have an iMac but I decided to use Bootcamp to partition to the hard drive as I really don't get on with Mac! Recently, I removed Bootcamp to increase the size of the partition. I have done this satisfactorily and have reinstalled Windows 10 on the Bootcamp partition....
  10. Trouble Restoring from WindowsImageBackup

Trouble Restoring from WindowsImageBackup: My client's Win10 Pro computer died. Got a new Win10 Home Asus laptop. Trying to restore files from a WindowsSystemImage folder on his backup drive, but the Advanced Recovery tool doesn't recognize the external drive containing the ImageBackup folder. When I attempt to mount...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windowsImageBackup restore

2. copied windowsimagebackup folder not seen when restoring