Windows 10: Issues seeing Samba share from Kubuntu server under Windows 10

Discus and support Issues seeing Samba share from Kubuntu server under Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; All, In my home network I have several computers. A Kubuntu Linux server, a windows 10 laptop and a window 8.1 desktop. Under Kubuntu I have setup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DaveInFL, Dec 6, 2015.

1. DaveInFL Win User

Issues seeing Samba share from Kubuntu server under Windows 10

All,

In my home network I have several computers. A Kubuntu Linux server, a windows 10 laptop and a window 8.1 desktop.
    Under Kubuntu I have setup several Samba shares for things like videos/photos/music, etc. From the Kubuntu side everything seems to be fine, I can see all three computers on my network and can quite happily access all computers too. Same goes for the Win 8.1 desktop, I can see the Kubuntu shares and my Windows 10 laptop no problem.
    However, on my Windows 10 laptop I can only see the Windwos 8.1 desktop. I can't even see the Kubuntu server name at all, nevermind access the shares. I have rebooted the Kubuntu machine and stopped and started Samba on numerous occasions. I have rebooted my windows 10 laptop. I have rebooted routers and modems...all to no avail. No matter what I do I simply cannot see the Kubuntu server under the Network section of windows explorer *Sad

Now, if I do a \\192.168.15.2 in the windows explorer bar then I can access it, but this is really only a temporary solution as some windows apps need to see the machine name under network in order to access the shared drives. But it does prove that the Kubuntu server is accessible from the windows machine.

Since the Windows 8.1 desktop is not having this issue then I have to assume it's an issue related to Windows 10.

I'm hoping other people have experienced this issue and have a fix for it.

I am on OS Build: 10586.17, version 1511.

:)

DaveInFL, Dec 6, 2015

2. Can't connect to Samba shares

Cannot connect to Samba shares since upgrading to windows 10 on 3 systems.

We have several Windows 8.1 and more than 100 Windows 7 system that can connect.

It seem that Windows 10 cannot see the Samba server the error is "Windows cannot access Server"

The Windows 10 systems can ping the name of the server so it is being resolved.

Very frustrating. Like the speed but less compatible than previous Windows versions.

Been checking the forum but see no answers to this issue for Windows 10.

Thanks.

Brad

BradleyRTaylor, Dec 6, 2015
  3. FerdiL Win User
    Windows 10 cannot browse my local network or see/connect to mapped drives

I'm having the same issue here, and I can't find if anything has changed w.r.t. Samba/Lan Manager in Windows 10 that would prevent a Windows 10 machine (which does not belong to a "HomeGroup" cause I don't want to use "homegroups") from seeing other machines
    on the network.

I have a very simple LAN at work with 2 Linux servers both running Samba that can browse each other using SMB fine, but the Windows 10 machine simply does not see any servers on the network (All are configured with the same WORKGROUP)

A Windows 7 machine can see the Linux servers

I have a Apple Mac on the network and it can browse the Linux Samba servers fine.

DNS etc. is all working fine. I can ping the server's IP address and their name, but cannot connect to any shares on the machines.

Most frustrating

FerdiL, Dec 6, 2015
Thema:

Issues seeing Samba share from Kubuntu server under Windows 10

1. Issues seeing Samba share from Kubuntu server under Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Issues seeing Samba

2. Re-Connecting to samba share fails Files stay offline although samba server is running

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-Connecting to samba share fails Files stay offline although samba server is running: Hi there! I am facing an issue with samba shares. In short: Although samba server is up, the shares do not re-connect and stay offline. My setup Samba server on ubuntu Win10 20H2 Client Working Scenarios Starting up samba server Starting up my win10 client, logging...
  3. Connecting to a Samba Share

Connecting to a Samba Share: I am trying to connect to a samba share. There are two users on the machine. user1 was able to access the share drive and map the share on the machine. user2 was able to access the folders. the next day user1 could not access the drives that were mapped nor could they...
  4. Challenge connecting to a Samba share from a Windows 10 machine

Challenge connecting to a Samba share from a Windows 10 machine: Hi have a share on a Linux box Fedora 31: "\\192.168.1.51\Scanned" My HP printer can scan to this share and so I can confirm that I know it is working no authentication is required. From my Windows machine I can ping the Linux box 192.168.1.51. However I cannot browse to...
  5. Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients: Hi folks there's a lot of confusion about how to set SAMBA up if you have any sort of Linux type system in the mix whether host , running as a NAS or in VM and Windows 10 mix. the best way is to do the following 1) Enable SMB1 on W10 -- while it might not be recommended...
  6. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  7. Umounting Cifs (Samba) share from virtual (or physical) servers

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Umounting Cifs (Samba) share from virtual (or physical) servers: Hi there If you've got a REAL or Virtual Linux server where you have some samba (cifs) shares mounted and the other computer serving the share goes down or has a problem it's easy to force umount the share(s) without needing a server reboot simply as root (or sudo) type...
  8. Unable to See Samba Share

Unable to See Samba Share: Hi everyone, I'll try to keep it short. I have a headless ubuntu server that has a samba server. It's connected to the network with a cable (not wifi) and has a static IP. My desktop (also wired with static IP) is unable to see the samba share at all: not when I go to the...
  9. W10 pro update 1709 shares cannot be accesed FROM NAS Server (Samba)

W10 pro update 1709 shares cannot be accesed FROM NAS Server (Samba): Hi folks it's definitely a windows update problem with version 1709. FROM Nas server -- cannot access windows shares vua samba anymore -- says timeout on xxxxx - and this comes up immediately !!! other windows machines have no problem. Accessing the server FROM...
  10. Creating a samba share in windows 10

Creating a samba share in windows 10: I've been using unauthenticated samba share on my computer for well over a decade using windows 7, vista, and XP (and maybe even further back) to network with various devices in another room via an ethernet cable. I believe Microsoft removed unauthenticated samba shares from...