Windows 10: Issues setting brightness

Discus and support Issues setting brightness in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Greetings...I have a strange issue I haven't been able to sort out. I have a 10-year old Acer Aspire 5740G-6395 which was pretty good back in its day.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by danimal1968, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Issues setting brightness

Greetings...I have a strange issue I haven't been able to sort out.

I have a 10-year old Acer Aspire 5740G-6395 which was pretty good back in its day. I bought a new laptop last year and was just tinkering around with this one during WFH and put an SSD in it. Suddenly this thing is a workable machine again. Went from 10 minutes booting up with the old HD to just over 30 seconds. Since I went from a 320 gig HD to a 120 gig SSD I opted for a clean install.

Now here's the issue: the screen brightness settings have no effect. This is true whether I use the slider bar in the notifications screen, the one in Settings>Display, or if I use the key commands (Fn/left or right arrow) on the keyboard.

I have the latest Radeon Mobility 5650 driver from the AMD website from 2015 or 2016.

Not sure what to do and was wondering if anyone had any insight. It's a 10 year old computer that I was starting to think about donating when I decided to spend $20 on the SSD so I don't want to spend a ton of time on it, but now that this thing is functional again it's nice to have as a backup machine. I don't know if its a Windows problem, a driver problem, or what it might be.

:)

danimal1968, Jul 9, 2020

2. Brightness issues

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with Brightness settings after upgrading to Windows 10 in the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

There is a possibility that this issue might have occurred due to incompatible or corrupt display drivers or the brightness settings are not correct in the system.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

To check for the brightness settings, please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows + C” keys on the keyboard.

• In the search box, type
      Power Options.

• Click on Power options, and under any plan, click
      Change plan settings.

• Click Change advanced power settings.

• In the list, expand Display, and then expand
      Enable adaptive brightness.

• To turn adaptive brightness on or off when your computer is running on battery power, click
      On battery, and then, in the list, click On or
      Off.

• To turn adaptive brightness on or off when your computer is plugged into an outlet, click
      Plugged in, and then, in the list, click On or
      Off.

• Click Apply. Click
      OK.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

Step 1:
    Update the Display driver.

Please follow the steps given below to update the display driver.

• Press Windows key + X when you are at desktop.

• Select Device Manager.

• Expand Display adapters.

• Right-click the display driver and click
      Update Driver Software.

• Select Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
    Step 2:

Check if there are any updates for display drivers available in Optional Updates; this might fix the issue. Refer to the following steps.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

• Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.

• When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Also see: Download and install drivers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/all-drivers

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Jul 9, 2020
  3. Adjust brightness settings in Windows 10

Hi Vicky,

I understand that you want to adjust the brightness of the computer. I will certainly assist you.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

2. From where exactly are you trying to adjust the brightness?

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Settings in the Search bar and then Enter.
    • Click on the System and then Notifications and Actions which is available on the Left pane.
    • Click on Add or Remove quick Actions.
    • In the make sure that the Brightness is ON.
    • Then click on the Action Center and adjust the Brightness according to your preference.
    Hope this helps. Please get back to us with more information if the issue persists, or if you have any queries related to Windows. We are here to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Jul 9, 2020
  4. Issues setting brightness

issue for the brightness control

Hi Rushi,

Driver issues can be one of the reasons why you're having issues with adjusting the brightness. To isolate your concern, we would like to ask for the following:

• Were there any changes or updates installed on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest starting your computer in safe mode. This will start Windows using a limited set of drivers.

Feel free to post back, and we'll assist you further.

Rachelle Gra, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

Issues setting brightness

1. Issues setting brightness - Similar Threads - Issues setting brightness

2. Brightness settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Brightness settings: On my old laptop I used to be able to turn down the brightness of my screen until there's nothing left on the screen, but on my new one I can only turn down the brightness to a certain point. Is there any way I can turn down my laptop screen brightness until it's fully dark?...
  3. Brightness settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Brightness settings: On my old laptop I used to be able to turn down the brightness of my screen until there's nothing left on the screen, but on my new one I can only turn down the brightness to a certain point. Is there any way I can turn down my laptop screen brightness until it's fully dark?...
  4. brightness setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    brightness setting: Hi,How to set brightness when I am on battery and I wish to kep set like as on charger . I wish to kep brightness without changes even if the image is brighter or darker when I am on the batteryBest regardsBogdan...
  5. Brightness Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Brightness Settings: Help! I accidentally turned my brightness all the way down and can't fix it! I tried turning my computer off and on, even restarting it! Now I'm logged out of my account on my computer, and can't see ANYTHING! I'm urgently writing this on my phone, but please help me!...
  6. No Brightness Settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No Brightness Settings: I am unable to change the brightness on my laptop. in the notifications tab there is no brightness slider and in settings there is no brightness option anywhere. im on windows 10...
  7. brightness setting

brightness setting: why cant i change my brightness? i've updated all the drivers i needed, but still can't change it. my eyes hurts. help pls https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brightness-setting/8ee09dd0-8047-421a-9a71-c8dbd744f86d
  8. no brightness settings

no brightness settings: why i do not have at all any brightness settings on windows 10? the desktop system and monitor are completely new and updated. I already tried a lot of things to fix it but nothing worked....
  9. Brightness Settings

Brightness Settings: I have a problem with my brightness settings. It cannot be adjusted and is stuck on full brightness mode always. Even the nightlight is inaccessible. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/brightness-settings/53fc6df5-a41a-4c30-86a7-0c25c0b071ea
  10. Brightness Settings

Brightness Settings: Hi, I had updated my windows 10 a few weeks back to version 1809 and i had this brightness settings which showed the options "darkest, darker, suggested, brighter, brightest". All of a sudden now it is back to the old percentages settings and it is showing the options as...