Windows 10: Issues signing in to Microsoft account

Discus and support Issues signing in to Microsoft account in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; About a week ago, I noticed that Mail app stopped syncing my Outlook.com account - no new emails, no calendar entries, etc. Gmail account I have in... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by PiotrJJ, Feb 12, 2020.

1. PiotrJJ Win User

Issues signing in to Microsoft account

About a week ago, I noticed that Mail app stopped syncing my Outlook.com account - no new emails, no calendar entries, etc. Gmail account I have in Mail app works just fine. After a few days of investigating the issue, I has become clear that Windows and all Windows apps that require Microsoft account sign-in e.g. Cortana, OneNote, Windows Store, etc. have 'lost contact' with Microsoft authentication servers, and appear to have signed me out.

I am unable to "sign in with Microsoft account" to any of the apps, nor to "Add Microsoft account" in Windows settings Accounts/Email & accounts. The symptoms differ, depending on where I try to sign in:

• in Windows settings Accounts/Email & accounts, when I try to "Add a Microsoft account", after providing my existing @outlook.com email address and correct password, I get 'Just a moment...' message - forever;

• in Cortana, after each attempt to sign in using the same Microsoft account credentials, I get 'I'm sorry, something went wrong. Try again a bit later';

• in Mail, when I try to add back my Outlook.com account, I get 'Something went wrong. We're sorry, but we were unable to do that. Error code: 0x80070520';
    • in Windows Store, after each attempt to sign in using the same Microsoft account credentials, I get 'We encountered an error. Please try signing in again later';
    • OneNote tells me it is saving all my notes 'offline' and that 'sign-in is required'; after I attempt to sign in... nothing happens i.e. no error messages and nothing changes i.e. sign-in is still 'required'.

And here comes an even stranger part: when I log in to my Microsoft account via browser account.microsoft.com, I can see the laptop under 'Devices'. And not just that is has been linked to my Microsoft account, but that it still is linked: I can see that Windows Defender has 'no issues'; that my device 'is up to date' and last checked for updates today correct!; that the laptops has '86.5 GB free of 238.4 GB' on the SSD and the BitLocker is ON.

So... Windows seems 'connected' to Microsoft servers, and specifically to my Microsoft account. But, Windows won't let me sign in to my Microsoft account. Which makes little sense, right?

I read many posts describing similar problems with signing to Microsoft account, and have tried several troubleshooting methods recommended: from Account Troubleshooter to resetting the Windows Store; from checking if the user account profile is OK or, corrupted to repairing Windows 'image'. I did not touch Windows Registry... Nothing helps. The Account Troubleshooter tells me it 'can't contact syncing service', though.

And the final bit: it is a work laptop, running Windows 10 Enterprise and registered in my company's domain. Before you start saying 'A-ha'!, my personal Microsoft account has been doing fine on this laptop for several months, as it was on my previous company laptop for over two years.

Ask me any questions. But more importantly, please help!

Moved from: Outlook.com Email Adding email accounts

:)

PiotrJJ, Feb 12, 2020
  2. Teokute Win User

Cannot sign in microsoft account.

My device: Lumia 520. GDR2.
    I cannot sign in my Microsoft account on my device. It didnt say any error but Microsoft account is not listed in Email and account list. When I click add button, it will show microsoft account option but after press sign in, it is still not shown in email
    and account. Another problem is i cannot delete facebook account. Error code: 0x83cf1202. I have tried as suggested here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2475837/en-us#step0x83cf1202 but as my Microsoft account is not shown, I cannot do step 6. Issues signing in to Microsoft account :(

Any suggestion?

Teokute, Feb 12, 2020
  3. sign into microsoft account glitch

Hi Micheal,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

• Is this the only account on the computer?
    • Was this account upgraded from previous version of Windows?

It looks like you are using a local account. I suggest you follow these steps:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Microsoft account instead.
    • Enter your Local account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the new Microsoft account and click OK.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Waseemulla S, Feb 12, 2020
  4. Issues signing in to Microsoft account

signing into microsoft account

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to us. We apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Accounts.
    • In the left pane, click on sign-in options.
    • In the right pane select Never from the drop down list for the option
      Require sign-in.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

Issues signing in to Microsoft account

1. Issues signing in to Microsoft account - Similar Threads - Issues signing Microsoft

2. Issue in signing in with microsoft account instead of local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue in signing in with microsoft account instead of local account: Hello, I have been trying to replace my local account with a microsoft account, but facing some issue.When I try to click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" Reference image 1 it pops out a window called "microsoft windows" Reference image 2 and then closes...
  3. Issue in signing in with microsoft account instead of local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue in signing in with microsoft account instead of local account: Hello, I have been trying to replace my local account with a microsoft account, but facing some issue.When I try to click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" Reference image 1 it pops out a window called "microsoft windows" Reference image 2 and then closes...
  4. Sign in issue in my Microsoft OneDrive account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in issue in my Microsoft OneDrive account: I cannot sign in my Microsoft OneDrive account. Got the following message. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-in-issue-in-my-microsoft-onedrive-account/f33b15e5-c732-44fc-809c-3e845b61474b
  5. Sign in issue in my Microsoft OneDrive account

Sign in issue in my Microsoft OneDrive account: I cannot sign in my Microsoft OneDrive account. Got the following message. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-in-issue-in-my-microsoft-onedrive-account/f33b15e5-c732-44fc-809c-3e845b61474b
  6. Microsoft account sign in issue and browsing issue

Microsoft account sign in issue and browsing issue: Hi, I am currently having 2 issues. The first is connecting my Windows to my Microsoft account. I'm currently in a locaI account. I always get an error code when I try. It will tell me I need to connect to the internet but I am connected. I had reset my pc to factory settings...
  7. Microsoft account sign in issue and browsing issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft account sign in issue and browsing issue: Hi, I am currently having 2 issues. The first is connecting my Windows to my Microsoft account. I'm currently in a locaI account. I always get an error code when I try. It will tell me I need to connect to the internet but I am connected. I had reset my pc to factory settings...
  8. Microsoft Account Sign-In Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Account Sign-In Issues: I am not able to Sign-In my Windows 10 pc with my Microsoft Account. Everytime I sign-in It displays a error message saying we can't sign-in your account you have been signed in with a temporary account. I tried renaming the .bak file in the register but it does'nt work....
  9. Microsoft Account sign-in issue

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Account sign-in issue: guys, anybody encountered this error? i encountered this issue upon instaling a fresh windows 10 build 2004 [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-account-sign-in-issue/ed954479-3321-4bef-9797-035414c4a977
  10. Microsoft account and Store accounts sign in issues

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft account and Store accounts sign in issues: Hi People. I have been trying for months to sort out the above since my details appear to have been corrupted during a Ms update last year. My email addresses are all now known on the Ms system and so restricts my input, if do get to change email and password details I...