Windows 10: Issues Trying to Choose Default Apps

Discus and support Issues Trying to Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, As background information, please note that I have Office 2013 installed. Several issues are occurring when I try choose my default apps:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by nuspieds, Aug 1, 2015.

1. nuspieds Win User

Issues Trying to Choose Default Apps

Hi,

As background information, please note that I have Office 2013 installed.

Several issues are occurring when I try choose my default apps:

1) Calendar
    The Calendar app is installed and works, but it is not set as my default. When I click "Choose a default," I get the popup that says, "There is no installed app for this type of file or protocol."

2) Maps
    Same as Calendar.

3) Email
    It is defaulted to Outlook (desktop). I thought that was strange but no big deal, I would change it to the Mail app. But when I try to change it, the only app available is my Outlook desktop app. Why isn't the Mail app listed?

4) Video Player
    I have VLC Metro Player installed and would have thought it would be in the list of possible apps to choose, but it is not. Is this normal or is there something else I would have to do to enable VLC as the default?

Thanks!

:)

nuspieds, Aug 1, 2015

2. Issues Trying to Choose Default Apps

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I do appreciate your efforts and time. Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if that helps.

Method 1

Perform a clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10,
    Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Clean Boot:

Notes

• You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot.

• Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or
      experience the original behavior if the problem still exists.

• If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to change the advanced
      boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.
    I suggest you to try the steps provided, in the link below in order to perform a clean boot on your computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Apps & Store

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/apps-store

Note: Please refer to the section:
    “Run the troubleshooter for Windows app” from the above given link.

If the issue persists, follow method 3

Method 3

If the issue persists run SFC scan and check if it helps.

Summary

System file check is a utility built into the Operating System that will check for system file corruption the sfc /scannow command (System File Check) scans the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces
    incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

System file check works on Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1, and win 10

I suggest you to try the steps provided, in the link below in order to run SFC scan on your computer.

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Issues Trying to Choose Default Apps

Hi,

As background information, please note that I have Office 2013 installed.

Several issues are occurring when I try choose my default apps:

1) Calendar

The Calendar app is installed and works, but it is not set as my default. When I click "Choose a default," I get the popup that says, "There is no installed app for this type of file or protocol."

2) Maps

Same as Calendar.

3) Email

It is defaulted to Outlook (desktop). I thought that was strange but no big deal, I would change it to the Mail app. But when I try to change it, the only app available is my Outlook desktop app. Why isn't the Mail app listed?

4) Video Player

I have VLC Metro Player installed and would have thought it would be in the list of possible apps to choose, but it is not. Is this normal or is there something else I would have to do to enable VLC as the default?

Thanks!

Nusaram Piedsron, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 1, 2015
  5. nuspieds Win User
    Thanks!

But even in Control Panel, it is incorrect and incomplete.

For example, in my list of Programs, Maps, Calendar, Mail, Photos, etc., are missing. So, too, are all my third-party MUI apps.

And even from this path, when I try to choose an app for Calendar, for example, I still get that message that there is no app installed for this file type or protocol. *Mad

nuspieds, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Open with context menu?

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Issues Trying to Choose Default Apps - Similar Threads - Issues Trying Choose

2. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  3. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  4. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I can't choose default apps at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't choose default apps at all: I want to set my default browser to Opera, but clicking on the buttons shown does nothing. It also lags my computer. How come? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-choose-default-apps-at-all/23b2295b-48a1-4351-b789-d22aa74f79cb
  6. Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype'

Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype': I am trying to set a default app for an extension but the default apps list won't show the app even though it is operational, listed under 'Apps and features' and valid. How can I select this app?...
  7. Help choosing default app for files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help choosing default app for files: Hi, I have a good amount of webp images in my computer and I like to use the default Photos app to visualize them. I downloaded something called 'codecs webp' or similar so I could see my images on the default photo visualizer and it worked fine. Today, when I was going to...
  8. Choosing Default Apps

Choosing Default Apps: I have about 20 or so apps on my computer but only 3 or 4 of them are presented as choices when I try to set one as default. The default I want is installed but it doesn't show up in the SET DEFAULT APPS process. VERY FRUSTRATING....
  9. choose default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    choose default apps by file type: I want .tif and .tiff files to be opened by MODI. MODI is installed on my computer but does not show up as an option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/choose-default-apps-by-file-type/a23e84d5-6337-4040-84b4-2b7902e0f665
  10. Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Choose Default Apps in Windows 10: How to: Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 How to Choose Default Apps to Open Files with in Windows 10 A default app is the program that Windows uses automatically when you open a particular file type or protocol. The default app you choose will only apply to your...