Windows 10: Issues trying to install a 15 year old game

Discus and support Issues trying to install a 15 year old game in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So I was in the mood to be playing some SidMeier's Simgolf lately and tried installing the game via CD. I get to about 20% and an error pops up saying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by FriskeCrisps, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Issues trying to install a 15 year old game

So I was in the mood to be playing some SidMeier's Simgolf lately and tried installing the game via CD. I get to about 20% and an error pops up saying catastrophic failure regarding the properties folder or whatever and then quits. Any advice for trying to get this game running?

:)

FriskeCrisps, Jul 11, 2019

2. Wanting to run old games

Hi Jameson,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check the compatibility of the game with Windows 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

You may also try installing the game in compatibility mode.
    Follow these steps to install the game software in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
            ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
            ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to get in touch with the game manufacturer if it’s specific to that particular game.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Jul 11, 2019
  3. installing a game

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.
    We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Please try the steps given below and check if the issue persists:

Step 1:

I suggest you to right click on the game and try to run as administrator and check.

Step 2: if that doesn't help I suggest you to install game in compatibility mode and check:

Follow the steps below on how to install game in compatibility mode:

1. Download the game from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the game and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the game install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Venkatesh1709, Jul 11, 2019
  4. Issues trying to install a 15 year old game

Fifa 15

Hi Pratyush,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to download the latest graphics card drivers from the manufacturer website. You may also try installing the game in compatibility mode.
    Follow these steps to install the game software in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
            ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
            ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to get in touch with the game manufacturer if its specific to that particular game.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Jul 11, 2019
Thema:

Issues trying to install a 15 year old game

1. Issues trying to install a 15 year old game - Similar Threads - Issues trying install

2. Can't install a game on my 9 year old sons account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install a game on my 9 year old sons account.: I opened the Microsoft store on my son's laptop using his account and requested to buy Roblox. I got an email asking to approve. I approved it from my phone. Went back to my son's laptop and nothing changed in the mocrosoft store. On his new HP windows laptop, I added an...
  3. Can't install a game on my 9 year old sons account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install a game on my 9 year old sons account.: I opened the Microsoft store on my son's laptop using his account and requested to buy Roblox. I got an email asking to approve. I approved it from my phone. Went back to my son's laptop and nothing changed in the mocrosoft store. On his new HP windows laptop, I added an...
  4. Can't install a game on my 9 year old sons account.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  5. 2+ year old Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming PC not supported by Windows 11??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2+ year old Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming PC not supported by Windows 11??: I have a 2+ year old Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming PC. Windows 11 PC Health check/compatibility app says processor is unsupported? Really, Windows 11 doesn't support processors that are only a couple years old? Here is the compatibility check result:...
  6. 2+ year old Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming PC not supported by Windows 11??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2+ year old Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming PC not supported by Windows 11??: I have a 2+ year old Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming PC. Windows 11 PC Health check/compatibility app says processor is unsupported? Really, Windows 11 doesn't support processors that are only a couple years old? Here is the compatibility check result:...
  7. Gaming issue aspire E 15

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Gaming issue aspire E 15: Bought used for gaming. Low FPS and seems like processor is running slow. I5. 940mx. 8GB ddr4 memory. 171225
  8. Windows Update trying to install five year old GPU driver

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update trying to install five year old GPU driver: So, as my subject says, I have been having a major issue with Windows Update constantly trying to install an ancient driver for my GPU. I have a driver installed that is as current as I could get, which is at most a month or two old, but every time Windows Update checks for...
  9. Tried installing old PC games and they won't run

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tried installing old PC games and they won't run: I tried installing Star Trek: Armada, Hoyle Word Games, and Star Trek: Starship Creator. Armada and HWG didn't open at all, and Starship Creator did, but only half the functionality was there. I was also planning on RollerCoaster Tycoon (the original), and Hoyle Board Games,...
  10. Year-Old Driver Tries to Install After Every Reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Year-Old Driver Tries to Install After Every Reboot: For about a year now, a Synaptics Driver /has been installing through Windows Update nearly everyday, or every time Windows checked for Updates. It is the same driver every single time, dated 8/16/2017. [ATTACH] At some point it began restarting my computer every night,...