Windows 10: Issues trying to set up Dual boot with Win 7 Pro

Discus and support Issues trying to set up Dual boot with Win 7 Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Using the tutorial you have provided, I attempted to set up a dual boot configuration using my existing Win 7 Pro on a Samsung SSD drive, and a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DasDonster, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Issues trying to set up Dual boot with Win 7 Pro

Using the tutorial you have provided, I attempted to set up a dual boot configuration using my existing Win 7 Pro on a Samsung SSD drive, and a clean install of Win 10 Pro on a fresh Kingston SSD drive. I created bootable Windows 10 installation USB, reset the UEFI Bios boot order and proceeded with the install. Win 10 installed, however it would not recognize the Win 7 Pro drive. I checked the UEFI Bios again, and the Samsung SSD was no longer shown in the "Fixed Boot Order Priorities". However, it was listed under "Hard Drive BBS Priorities", and under "Boot Override". It also shows up in Win 7 in the drives listings.

My motherboard is a MSI Z97 Gaming 5, with Click Bios 4 v1.9.

I must also mention, my Samsung SSD with Win 7 Pro was set up not with UEFI but Legacy boot. This was my first mobo with UEFI, so I made that mistake due to my ignorance.

I reformatted the Kingston Win 10 drive. Rebooted, but got error message that boot device not found. I rebooted and hit F11 to get back into Bios. A popup box gave me a listing of bootable devices and the Samsung SSD appeared. Selected it and it booted into Win 7 no problem. I went back into the Bios, but the Samsung SSD still not listed. I shut down the system, unplugged the Kingston SSD, rebooted, went back into Bios, and the Samsung returned.

I then shut down the system, connected the Kingston into a different SATA port, rebooted the system, went back to Bios, and the Kingston remains unlisted in the "Fixed Boot Order Priorities" as before, but shows up in "Hard Drive BBS Priorities", and under "Boot Override". It also shows up in Win 7 in the drives listings. Remember that the Kingston is just formatted, no op system installed on it.

This has me perplexed to say the least.

Oh and FYI, I set up the Win 10 install on the Kingston SSD as a legacy drive too.

Another question I will ask is can you have one operating system on a legacy drive and one on a UEFI drive in the same PC?

Thanks in advance for your help!

:)

DasDonster, Jan 2, 2016
  2. Prutzi Win User

loading a Win 10 ISO image on a separate partition, it's loaded, but changed the drive letters, so no more dual boot!!

Hi, I followed the instructions of a Community MS engineer and loaded a Win 10 ISO image onto a separate partition on my Win 7 Pro laptop, to dual-boot.

The image - from his link - loaded, but it's changed the partition drive letters.

Win 7 is now on D: - was on B: - and Win 10 is now on C: and the dual-boot on start-up has gone!

The folders for Win 7 are all still on drive D;, but this will now not boot

Can anyone help, please?

Prutzi, Jan 2, 2016
  3. XP and 7 to XP and 10 upgrade?

I have a PC that currently is set to dual boot XP and Windows 7.

Drive 1 has XP pro-32 bit

Drive 2 has Win 7 Ultimate-64 bit

Can I upgrade the WIn 7 to Windows 10? Or will it break the dual boot?

I need XP for some legacy hardware and a few software pieces.

RandyKowal, Jan 2, 2016
  4. Nipax Win User

Issues trying to set up Dual boot with Win 7 Pro

The best way to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive.
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    OPTION ONE: Use Media Creation Tool to create Bootable Windows 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI.

Do you know how to choose the Legacy BIOS or UEFI boot mode?
    Depending how the Windows install media is booted (Legacy BIOS or UEFI) Windows creates either MBR or GPT partition table on the SSD/HDD.
    - The non-UEFI option will boot the Windows install media in the Legacy BIOS mode and Windows Setup will create the MBR partition table automatically.
    - The UEFI option will boot the Windows install media in the UEFI mode and Windows Setup will create the GPT partition table automatically.

Issues trying to set up Dual boot with Win 7 Pro [​IMG]

Issues trying to set up Dual boot with Win 7 Pro [​IMG]

No.

Nipax, Jan 5, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    You can but it would not be dual boot, and you would have to select which drive to boot from using bios, and may need to selsct legacy bios or eufi from bios. Really not a good plan to do this.

cereberus, Jan 5, 2016
  6. Thanks for you answers guys!

Do you know how to choose the Legacy BIOS or UEFI boot mode?

Yes.

I used the legacy option and created my boot usb drive with the media creation tool for legacy bios.

Another question I will ask is can you have one operating system on a legacy drive and one on a UEFI drive in the same PC?

No.

Gotcha. I will try this again and see how it turns out.

Again, thank you for your help Nipax and cereberus!

DasDonster, Jan 5, 2016
  7. Do you need to run Windows 7 natively? My suggestion would be to virtualize it, and you could store the virtual hard drive on the second SSD.

DeaconFrost, Jan 5, 2016
  8. Issues trying to set up Dual boot with Win 7 Pro

I would prefer to run Win 7 natively. Maybe I should think about running Win 10 in a VirtualBox. I really want to try it out to see if I like it enough to replace Win 7. Thanks DeaconFrost for your advice!

DasDonster, Jan 5, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Jan 6, 2016
  10. I was wondering just how reliable the rollback was, and that is what has kept me from trying the upgrade option.

I have my Win 7 Pro on one SSD, but Steam, Microsoft Office and other programs on another drive. Would one have to create an image backup of both drives, and if so would that work when you reinstalled the images back to their original drives?

DasDonster, Jan 6, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Backup both drives, and both would be restored to original condition.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Issues trying to set up Dual boot with Win 7 Pro

1. Issues trying to set up Dual boot with Win 7 Pro - Similar Threads - Issues trying set

2. dual boot win 7 stuck up on set up on win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dual boot win 7 stuck up on set up on win 10: have win 10 home edition with inspiron 15 3000dual boot all the step but froze when set up and had shut down many times now what https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-win-7-stuck-up-on-set-up-on-win-10/9b34a228-77b2-49e1-a75a-e2fca4cfdeb0
  3. Dual booting with Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro

Dual booting with Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro: I'll be receiving a new computer with Win 10 Pro as my computer w/ Windows 7 Pro crashed. I'd like to take the hard drive with Windows 7 Pro and install it into the new one to have dual booting. Any problem doing that and what steps are needed? Thank you....
  4. Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10: Apologies if this is 'old hat'. I'm having trouble with win 10 (getting wifi working) and have a thread specifically on that subject already open. I'm in the position of installing win10 on my son's laptop and soon have to give it to him - but he lives 80 miles away. Win10...
  5. Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro

Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro: Hi All, nice to be on board. I have a home built machine (specs entered when creating this account). I had a Dual boot system working like a dream, Win 10 Pro installed first (through upgrade a few months back) and then I created a separate partition and successfully...
  6. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  7. setting up Win 7/Win 10 dual-boot

setting up Win 7/Win 10 dual-boot: Hello everybody, So I'm really out of ideas when it comes to this, but let me try to explain the situation really quick and simple. I have a laptop, running Win 7 Pro x64 on a mSATA SSD 60GB drive (let's call it drive A). The other hard disk on my laptop is a 1TB...
  8. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  9. Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10

Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10: I have new computer win 7 pro with all SSD. I plan to Install Win 10 onto a separate SSD (Samsung 500gb) and will just unplug my C Drive SSD with Win 7. The C drive SSD is also 500gb Samsung but only 152gb left on that drive. Any Comments / potential problems I may have. I...
  10. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...