Windows 10: Issues Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home via Product Key

Discus and support Issues Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home via Product Key in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Windows Pro product key, and I am trying to use it to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro. I follow the instructions here, and after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JaiBhagat, Mar 8, 2022.

1. JaiBhagat Win User

Issues Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home via Product Key

Hi, I have a Windows Pro product key, and I am trying to use it to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro. I follow the instructions here, and after entering the product key I get a message saying "Windows has been activated"; however, when I look at the "About Windows" system information it still says I have Windows 10 Home, even after a restart, and features that would be available on Pro but not on Home are still unavailable to me like looking at the Group Policy Editor. Can someone help me successfully upgrade to Pro?

:)

JaiBhagat, Mar 8, 2022

2. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 8, 2022
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Win10 Home to W10 Pro Upgrade Error using Product Key

The keys are there because 1. It is the product key you end up with when you gain a digital license for Windows 10 Pro through legitimate means and 2. When you do a clean install of Windows 10 (without adding an ei.cfg file), on a computer with a product key for Windows 10 Home stored in UEFI, you can use the generic product key to upgrade the Windows 10 Home that installs by default to Windows 10 Pro - but only if you have an existing digital license for that computer for Windows 10 Pro previously stored on Microsoft Activation Servers.

The reason the generic Windows10 Pro product key will not upgrade your Windows 10 Home to Pro is because you do not have a preexisting digital license for Pro for that computer stored on Microsoft activation servers.

NavyLCDR, Mar 8, 2022
  4. Issues Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home via Product Key

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

This is what I used

"

Follow these steps to upgrade from Windows 10 Home if you have a Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product key:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings >
      Update & security
      > Activation.
    • Select Change product key, and then enter this 25-character default product key:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Important

This default product key will upgrade your device to Windows 10 Pro, but won't activate it.

• Select Next to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    • After your device is upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, you'll need to activate Windows. Select the Start button, then select
      Settings > Update & security > Activation.
    • Select Change product key, and then enter your 25-character Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8.1 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product key.
    • Select Next to activate Windows 10 Pro.
    "

GrahameBarclay, Mar 8, 2022
Thema:

Issues Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home via Product Key

1. Issues Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home via Product Key - Similar Threads - Issues Upgrading Pro

2. Issues Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home via Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home via Product Key: Hi, I have a Windows Pro product key, and I am trying to use it to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro. I follow the instructions here, and after entering the product key I get a message saying "Windows has been activated"; however, when I look at the "About Windows" system...
  3. Issues Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home via Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Issues Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home via Product Key: Hi, I have a Windows Pro product key, and I am trying to use it to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro. I follow the instructions here, and after entering the product key I get a message saying "Windows has been activated"; however, when I look at the "About Windows" system...
  4. Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro with product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro with product key: Hi! This is my first post and I am still a somewhat beginner with Windows. I am a student attempting to upgrade my laptop (which came with Windows 10 Home) to Windows 10 Pro (I was following information on how to use Xamarin and it recommended enabling Hyper-v for the...
  5. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro with Product Key - Error

Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro with Product Key - Error: With my previous laptop with Windows 10 Home, I purchased a product key from MS to upgrade from Home to Pro in 2020. I have since had a new laptop with Home and wish to upgrade to Pro. I recovered my old Laptop back to its orignal Home version of windows 10 I then used...
  6. About upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows Pro using a product key

About upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows Pro using a product key: Hey, I bought a windows 10 pro product key from a local retailer. But the key is not working. Giving an error0xc004f210. What can I do to fix this?[ATTACH]...
  7. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM Product Key

Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM Product Key: We purchased a new computer which included an OEM Product Key for Windows 10 Pro. Rather than install Windows and then copy all the data and apps from our old computer which had Windows 10 Home, we cloned the old hard-drive to the new PC. This means the new computer is...
  8. Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Windows 7 Pro Product Key from COA

Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Windows 7 Pro Product Key from COA: Hello, I was able to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro using a unused Windows 7 Pro product key from a COA sticker off a refurbished computer. Would this have any legal impact? Is it breaking licensing? Does it have to be a retail license?...
  9. upgrading from windows 10 home to 10 pro without original product key for home.

upgrading from windows 10 home to 10 pro without original product key for home.: Windows10 home was loaded on my laptop when I purchased it. I now want to upgrade to 10 pro, but am being told I need original product key for 10 home. Please help! How can I get the upgrade, or prove I have the 10 home legitimately? Thanks....
  10. No product key after upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro for Workstations

No product key after upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro for Workstations: I have Windows 10 Home that I bought from the Windows store and have no problems. Once I bought it it included the key to activate. I then purchased an upgrade through the Windows Store for Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and I was not given a key. Both versions show paid...