Windows 10: Issues while accessing External Hard Drive after encrypting it with Bitlocker

Discus and support Issues while accessing External Hard Drive after encrypting it with Bitlocker in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I had tried to encrypt my drive with bitlocker and its was a while ago but then I tried to decrypt it as It was taking a long time and the drive got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Taninzer, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Taninzer Win User

Issues while accessing External Hard Drive after encrypting it with Bitlocker

So I had tried to encrypt my drive with bitlocker and its was a while ago but then I tried to decrypt it as It was taking a long time and the drive got disconnected and the decryption was disrupted and then it took time to load up the password page and It said the correct password and the key was wrong and won't open now please help me out if possible.It just say its the wrong password even thought its correct and I lags my This PC while loading up sometimes it crashes This Pc and doesn't start back until HDD is disconnected. I have tried M3 Bitlocker recovery but my encrypted files are not able to load its in binary and other gibberish that makes no sense.

***Original title: My External HDD got disconnected while decrypting bitlocker.***

:)

Taninzer, Aug 8, 2019
  2. Marc Cai Win User

Encrypted External Drive that cannot be opened.

Hi Sana,

It is a good idea to use Bitlocker to protect hard drives. Please provide the following needed information:

1. How do you try to access the drive?

2. Do you get any pop-up message when trying to access the drive?

3. Is this an external hard drive?

You can turn off Bitlocker Drive Encryption by following these steps:

• Login as Administrator to your PC.

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, find the volume on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the What level of decryption do you want dialog box, click either
      Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption or Decrypt the volume as needed.

Regards.

Marc Cai, Aug 8, 2019
  3. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Aug 8, 2019
  4. Issues while accessing External Hard Drive after encrypting it with Bitlocker

External hard drive bitlocker issue

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties you are facing with the BitLocker encryption on your external drive. We checked on this and would like you to refer the

BitLocker recovery guide
    article if that helps you to fix the issue.

However, the issues on BitLocker is best suited to be posted on our
    TechNet forum
    , where we have experts and support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker Encryption to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

Issues while accessing External Hard Drive after encrypting it with Bitlocker

1. Issues while accessing External Hard Drive after encrypting it with Bitlocker - Similar Threads - Issues while accessing

2. Bitlocker encryption on external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption on external drive: Hello, I need support regarding Bitlocker. I have activated the Bitlocker encryption on my external drive and it stopped responding at 89%. The encryption process simply freezes and it freezes my whole laptop. All I can do is enforce restarting my laptop to be able to access...
  3. Bitlocker encryption on external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encryption on external drive: Hello, I need support regarding Bitlocker. I have activated the Bitlocker encryption on my external drive and it stopped responding at 89%. The encryption process simply freezes and it freezes my whole laptop. All I can do is enforce restarting my laptop to be able to access...
  4. Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?: Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?So far I can NOT image the external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-an-external-hard-drive-that-is-bitlocker/a25432e8-e230-481a-a67d-2d13c1260f17
  5. Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?: Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?So far I can NOT image the external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-an-external-hard-drive-that-is-bitlocker/a25432e8-e230-481a-a67d-2d13c1260f17
  6. Can an External Hard Drive, that is BitLocker Encrypted, be Imaged ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...
  8. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...
  9. Unable to access hard drive after encrypting it using Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to access hard drive after encrypting it using Bitlocker: Hi, I attached a removable hard drive with my office laptop. I mistakenly choose to bitlocker encryption. Bitlocker started encryption and stopped at 76%. After waiting for long time I removed it from laptop. After that I tried to read the data using my office laptop and home...
  10. External hard drive bitlocker issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive bitlocker issue: when i plugged into my Seagate external hard drive, i accidentally click bitlocker encryption button. Screen pop up and did a scan. I tried to hit the pause button and then power down my laptop. The bitlocker did not complete the scan and encryption. It was only 10 sec...