Windows 10: Issues while accessing files and folder through Portable Hard Drives

Discus and support Issues while accessing files and folder through Portable Hard Drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I was using a portable hard drive when using desktop computers at uni. Now, random folders are access denied whilst many others aren't: "You... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TomFO77, Sep 17, 2019.

1. TomFO77 Win User

Issues while accessing files and folder through Portable Hard Drives

Hi,

I was using a portable hard drive when using desktop computers at uni.

Now, random folders are access denied whilst many others aren't:

"You don't currently have permission to access this folder". > "Click continue to permanently get access to this folder"

I checked with the IT department, and when they insert their logins, they can change permission settings for that specific folder and across the uni I can now access those folders. However, when I use the portable drive on my laptop, I cannot access these folders.

There's just too many folders to check one by one.

Since the same instant I also get the following message when opening some excel files, just a few, bit typically those that I used most frequently:

"Excel cannot open the file "name.xlsx" because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file

Any help greatly appreciated!

Tom

***Original title: folder access & file access***

:)

TomFO77, Sep 17, 2019
  2. Pozzie Win User

Folder contents disappear from portable hard drive

Hi

I am transferring files from a couple of computers (-all WIN 10, 1803 build) to a portable NTFS hard drive. I have regularly done this before, so its not new and I have not had issues.

But on 2 recent occasions, after a cut and paste from an internal computer hard drive, a duplicate folder has appeared in the hard portable drive, and the contents of the original folder on that portable hard drive have disappeared: the message is the "folder
    is empty". However, when I right click and open "properties" of that original folder, the number of files and the data is definitely not zero and is comparable to all of the prior contents.

I have read up about NTFS folder/file ownership and permissions and have re-assigned both in case I had stuffed this up at another time (The files were coming from different 'owners'). But no help: I cannot access nor even list the missing files.

I have run anti-virus : no issues.

Any suggestions to recover these files would be much appreciated.

Pozzie, Sep 17, 2019
  3. btarunr Win User
    Toshiba Unveils Canvio Connect II Portable Hard Drive

Toshiba's Digital Products Division (DPD), a division of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., today announced the Canvio Connect II portable hard drive, a device that takes portable storage to the next level. Available with up to 3TB of storage capacity, remote access capabilities, local and cloud backup and the ability to share and stream content, the Canvio Connect II portable hard drive is an all-in-one portable storage solution.

The Canvio Connect II portable hard drive makes it simple to back up not just files and folders, but a complete system-or customize backups to your exact needs and specifications. Users can secure backups with user defined password protection, or cloud storage. With the ability to schedule backups to run automatically, the Canvio Connect II portable hard drive will take care of the rest.

Issues while accessing files and folder through Portable Hard Drives 31a_thm.jpg

Toshiba will offer portable storage with capacities up to 3TB, to accommodate ever-expanding content libraries. With a sleek, iconic design and a high gloss finish, the Canvio Connect II portable hard drive is available in five colors: black, white, blue, red and satin gold.

"Digital content creation has grown exponentially. The Canvio Connect II was created with this understanding in mind," said Maciek Brzeski, Vice President, Branded Storage, Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., Digital Products Division. "With expanded storage capacity, sleek design and five vibrant color options, the Canvio Connect II takes portable hard drive storage to a new level."

Additional features include:

Store & Backup
    • Store your files in a centralized place next to your PC or Mac
    • Complete backup solution for protecting digital memories
    • Files & folder backup & restore
    • Full system backup & recovery
    • Cloud-enabled backup
    • Schedule backups to run automatically
    • Secure backups with user defined password-protection
    Access & Share
    • Access and share content from your devices anywhere via the internet
    • Upload and download content from your devices easily
    • Share massive files and folders instantly from the PC and Canvio Connect II HDD
    • Includes 10GB of free cloud storage for storing copies of your most important files
    Mobility
    • Access content remotely from mobile devices
    • Back up content from mobile devices
    • Pocket-sized, easy to carry
    Pricing and Availability
    The Toshiba Canvio Connect II will be available for purchase later this month in 500GB - $99.99 MSRP, 1TB - $119.99 MSRP and 2TB - $199.99 MSRP sizes at various retailers and on toshiba.com/us. A 3TB model will release later this year.

btarunr, Sep 17, 2019
  4. Pozzie Win User

Folder contents disappear from portable hard drive

Hi RS

Thanks for the contribution.

Typically, I select a file on the computer internal hard drive cut (or sometimes copy: I see your point about possible loss), open an existing folder (lets call it FOLDER A) in the HDD USB portable hard drive (yes HDD USB, and yes NTFS.

The HDD has a capacity is 500GB and there are 100GB free)) and FOLDER A already has lots of data on it (in fact about 1401 files). I then press paste.

The screen changes to the list of folders and I notice that there are now two FOLDER A with a creation time and date at that moment.

One (FOLDER A No1) contains the file transferred and is otherwise empty. Its properties show recent creation and 1 file. The other (FOLDER A No2) is completely empty, but when I look at properties, it was created sometime ago (in this case in 2016) and
    the summary states that it has 1401 files.

I did not restart the PC. I was transferring from the PC to the portable drive.

Pozzie, Sep 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Issues while accessing files and folder through Portable Hard Drives - Similar Threads - Issues while accessing

2. Portable hard drive and accessing files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable hard drive and accessing files: I have located my portable hard drive on my laptop Windows 10, but I'm struggling to locate the files. I've tried the "hidden files" option but all I see is my hard drive icon. Can anyone help me to view the files? Thanks...
  3. Portable hard drive

Portable hard drive: Someone previously saved my hard drive contents to a portable external drive. That was a year ago, and I want to update what is saved. I don't know how to do that. Help please?...
  4. Issue with accessing hard drive

Issue with accessing hard drive: I go to the Control panel where I can find my HD. However the Disk management shows that the HD Not Initialized, unallocated... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issue-with-accessing-hard-drive/6ac8c0d3-3297-48a2-9adb-0ddf3a410a4c
  5. Portable hard drive visible but not accessible

Portable hard drive visible but not accessible: Hey tech wizards! A Seagate freeagent go successfully accessed five days ago now shows up in file explorer as the Local Disk D: and Windows 10 dings when attached via USB. Selecting the drive produces the circle of death and progress bar in file explorer's drive path. In...
  6. Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer

Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer: Hi! I'm having an issue where my Portable Hard Drive Brand is Seagate to be exact will only appear in device manager. I believe this had happened when I formatted for Xbox back in ~October 2019 and uninstalled a game off it later on. I don't know how to reformat this and...
  7. portable hard drive to USB

portable hard drive to USB: I have a portable hard drive and I am using a USB sync and charge cable. It lights up and flashes but doesn't show in File Explorer. It shows in Devices and printers but can't access it. Tried each USB port and on 2 laptops. Any advice please...
  8. Unable to access Samsung M3 Portable hard drive.

Unable to access Samsung M3 Portable hard drive.: my m3 was plugged into my windows 10 laptop, and was working, i turned my laptop back on and it said that it could read the files, i tried unplugging it and other computers, it shows in device manager but doesnt appear on the desktop, ive tried uninstalling and updating and...
  9. Location is not accessible. Access is denied. USB portable hard drive.

Location is not accessible. Access is denied. USB portable hard drive.: I'm running Windows 10 Pro (10.0.17134) on a 3 month old HP Z Book laptop. I'm trying to use an external hard drive (HP 500 GB) that worked this morning. I'm now getting an error: Location is not available. Access is denied. I see this is a longstanding problem, going...
  10. portable hard drive concern

portable hard drive concern: Hi, I've got a number of portable hard drives but they are often not really portable, I only use them home but from time to time, especially for the Seagate one, where it didn't come with rubber pads at the bottom, from time to time, I could accidentally move it a little bit...