Windows 10: Issues while accessing files over network on domain environment

Discus and support Issues while accessing files over network on domain environment in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bassel-IT, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Bassel-IT Win User

Issues while accessing files over network on domain environment

Hi,

While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log on PC1 as a normal user, I can properly see the shared folder.

Please advise

Thanks

***Original title: Unable to access SMB file sharing***

:)

Bassel-IT, Jul 18, 2019
  2. changari Win User

Raising the windows domain and forest issues?

hi,

I run a domain that was all 2003 r2 servers. I recently upgraded all my domain controllers to windows 2012 r2.
    That went off without any problems.. Our trust relationships had no issues also.

My first step was to raise the Domain and Forest levels past 2003 to 2008. This went off without a hitch.
    These are the features for raising the levels to 2008:

• Features and benefits include all default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2003 domain functional level, plus:
    • Read-Only Domain Controllers – Allows implementation of domain controllers that only host read-only copy of NTDS database.
    • Advanced Encryption Services – (AES 128 and 256) support for the Kerberos protocol.
    • Distributed File System Replication (DFSR) – Allows SYSVOL to replicate using DFSR instead of older File Replication Service (FRS). It provides more robust and detailed replication of SYSVOL contents.

Forest Level Windows Server 2008

• Features and benefits include all of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, but no additional features. All domains that are subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level by default.

My next step is to raise the domain and forest to 2008 r2, then 2012, and finally 2012 r2. I have been trying to find out exactly what I could expect from raising the Domain and Forest for each step.

The step involving 2008 r2 seems relatively a non issue. But getting the couple of new features seem very nice

Domain Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All default Active Directory features, all features from the Windows Server 2008 domain functional level, plus 2 new features

Forest Level Windows Server 2008 R2

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2003 forest functional level, plus the following features:

• Active Directory Recycle Bin, which provides the ability to restore deleted objects in their entirety while AD DS is running. <== New Feature very cool
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2008 R2 domain functional level by default.

Here is my big concerns for the next raising of domain and forest to 2012.

Forest Level Windows Server 2012:

• All of the features that are available at the Windows Server 2008 R2 forest functional level, but no additional features.
    • All domains subsequently added to the forest will operate at the Windows Server 2012 domain functional level by default.

Domain Level Windows Server 2012 R2: <=====
    Need to investigate more and why this post

• DC-side protections for Protected Users. Protected Users authenticating to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain can no longer:

• Authenticate with NTLM authentication <==============(what issues may arise)
    • Use DES or RC4 cipher suites in Kerberos pre-authentication
    • Be delegated with unconstrained or constrained delegation
    • Renew user tickets (TGTs) beyond the initial 4-hour lifetime

Will this affect my exchange anywhere users with remote access authenticating either clear of NTLM???
    and what would/may not to work properly day 1 when I raise the domain and forest to 2012. I cant really find anyone that can answer a straight question.

Has anyone gone through this? what problems did you have, if any , if a lot???

Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated??

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

One more point... I am not sure if I posted this to the correct forum.. So if I was wrong and it should be in a different one..
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

changari, Jul 18, 2019
  3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Issues while accessing files over network on domain environment :)

Frogger, Jul 18, 2019
  4. Issues while accessing files over network on domain environment

Unable to access network storage

Hi Pravin,

Network permission is one of the possible reasons why you can't access a drive within a network. To better assist you, we the answers to the following questions:

• Are you working with computers connected to a domain?
    • Did you make any changes on your computer prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest following the steps below to troubleshoot Shared Folders in Windows 10:

• On the Cortana search box, type Troubleshoot
      and select the first result.
    • Scroll down and click on Shared Folders.
    • Click the Run the troubleshooter button.

We are looking forward to your response.

Jefferson Ore, Jul 18, 2019
Thema:

Issues while accessing files over network on domain environment

1. Issues while accessing files over network on domain environment - Similar Threads - Issues while accessing

2. Cannot access files over network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access files over network: Our small network has computers running windows 7 pro and one laptop running windows 10 home. Until recently there wasn't an issue, now the laptop cant see the files on the other machines. Everything is visible until I try to access the files themselves. Meaning drives,...
  3. Getting "Windows cannot access" a share on a domain environment?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Getting "Windows cannot access" a share on a domain environment?: Hi I'm on a domain and I just want to share my publish docs folder. I can't access due to the error that basically says "it isn't even shared" -> "Windows cannot access \\pastrami\public\Documents" What else do I need to enable or configured for this to work? If its too...
  4. Issues while accessing PC over network

Issues while accessing PC over network: I have 5 pc's on my network. Only 1 of them can't share. When I try to access that pc from any of the other 4 pc's I get a message. windows cannot access \\XXXXX you do not have permission to access \\XXXXX contact your local network admin to request access However,...
  5. Issues while accessing PC's over network

Issues while accessing PC's over network: running a home network using a router/modem from cable co I've done all of the changes & settings in all post. running 3 computers with desktop I can see the computer hooked up to the router per ethernet & can access system & drive but when I try to connect the other...
  6. Issues while sharing external drive over the network

Issues while sharing external drive over the network: Good day Please help. I have 2 external hard drives connected to one PC, I am using 2 PC's. I am trying to share folders between PC's. Trouble is, the one ext hard drive I got shared as a whole - i.e. the hard drive d is fully shared, all content visible and accessible...
  7. Issues while accessing PC over the network

Issues while accessing PC over the network: I just had Comcast install their home security system, including 2 cameras. Prior to that my system looked like this: An ethernet cable connected from desktop to the modem/router. My Ethernet connection was called ‘network 3’. My wifi was working perfectly: both laptops...
  8. Accessing files over Network NAS drive

Accessing files over Network NAS drive: I bought a new laptop on Feb 1. It had Windows 10 installed when I got it. I set everything up and installed my personal stuff and set the wifi adapter to "private" in the network and sharing options. Everything was fine. I had direct access to my WD MyCloud NAS storage...
  9. Permission issues to access files shared over a network

Permission issues to access files shared over a network: From computer B, I don't have permission to access a path on computer A. However certain folders on computer A show up on computer B and are accessible. On computer A the folder has been set to share. Kaspersky on computer A has been temporarily disabled. Why are some...
  10. Cannot access files over Network Sharing

Cannot access files over Network Sharing: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...