Windows 10: Issues while backing up 1TB of OneDrive files to NAS

Discus and support Issues while backing up 1TB of OneDrive files to NAS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, In order to work with Lightroom directory tree from a previous failed NAS which was backed up to OneDrive I need the ca 1TB pictures restored... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JensN, Jul 24, 2019.

1. JensN Win User

Issues while backing up 1TB of OneDrive files to NAS

Hi there,
    In order to work with Lightroom directory tree from a previous failed NAS which was backed up to OneDrive I need the ca 1TB pictures restored to a like structure on a new NAS.

When trying to Restore / copy picture files from my local Onedrive folder to an external drive (NAS) I kept getting this error:

"There is not enough free space on Local Disk. You need an additional xxx GB to copy these files"

One solution was to enable files on demand (I'm aware the opposite has been stated as a solution) and select a 'fitting' number of directories to copy.

Every so often the error would repeat and a renewed 'free space' command on my onedrive directory got the copy function back working.

THEN I started to get to messages 'Files are not awailable for synching, skip or try again'... only Skip worked

After doing this, I checked the directory tree manually and found several directories missing on the NAS.

This time I went for manual directory by directory copying, Ctrl C, Alt Tab, Ctrl V, Alt-Tab arrow down and so on... (no I didnt write a script, though I'm tempted to do so.)

During this I also found several directories allready copied during the first process had 1-2 missing pictures , so now I have to make a dir -r > tjeck NAS.txt and same for OneDrive (if the DOS command works there) and then compare the text files

This would likely not be a problem if I had a free 2TB harddisk all OneDrive files could sync to (I think). I also suppose the 'Files not awailable for sync' may be caused by files having same filenames even being in different directories.

So far I'm hoping the process will allow me to free one of the previously backed up harddisks, mappping that to OneDrive and the issue will not be present, but It is STILL a major issue for the reliability seen of OneDrive as a cloud backup...

I also have a nasty comment regarding the initial error message: It was not apparent the directory with not enough space was my local hard disk, thinking the NAS was at fault, since only the directory name was flagged, not the drive letter... took me some more time to realise that.

So all in all a easy restore operation has turned into a long drawn out manual job.

Best hopes of a good reply/solution

***Original title: Need a 1TB backup restored from OneDrive to a local NAS HDD and cant copy from OneDrive due to local synced drive space limitation***

:)

JensN, Jul 24, 2019
  2. P4-630 Win User

OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync

Issues while backing up 1TB of OneDrive files to NAS [​IMG]

"At Ignite 2016, Microsoft has just announced that it is bringing Placeholders back to OneDrive on Windows 10. Now, they are not called Placeholders anymore — Microsoft is renaming the feature to “On-Demand Sync” which makes a lot more sense than “Placeholders”.

The company demoed this feature at Microsoft Ignite today, and it works just like it used to previously. As you can see in the screenshot above, the files stored in OneDrive weighed in around 9GB, but the actual size on disk was only around 3MB which is really neat. Of course, this feature isn’t anything new as it was available back in the Windows 8 days. However, Microsoft removed the feature with Windows 10, and after lots of waiting, they are finally coming back.

In case you are not familiar with OneDrive Placeholders, it’s a pretty neat feature which lets you see all of your OneDrive files on your computer — but they are not actually downloaded on your PC. When you open them, OneDrive will download the files on-demand, saving your local space which is really useful, especially if you have a PC that doesn’t have a lot of storage.

While Microsoft didn’t announce when exactly On-Demand Sync will be available to OneDrive users, we suspect it will be available with Windows 10 Redstone 2 — which is expected to arrive early next year.
    "

https://mspoweruser.com/onedrive-placeholders-coming-back-now-called-demand-sync/

P4-630, Jul 24, 2019
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 24, 2019
  4. Issues while backing up 1TB of OneDrive files to NAS

Onedrive

Hi Hiatt,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to refer the article Find
    lost or missing files in OneDrive
    for more information regarding the missing files.

If the issue still persists please follow the steps to contact
    OneDrive support for further assistance on this issue.

1. Login to OneDrive.com.
    2. Click the ? Help icon on the top banner of the page.
    3. Select Email OneDrive support for the further assistance.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jul 24, 2019
Thema:

Issues while backing up 1TB of OneDrive files to NAS

1. Issues while backing up 1TB of OneDrive files to NAS - Similar Threads - Issues while backing

2. Files aren't backed up in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files aren't backed up in Onedrive: Onedrive cannot upload my files You need to press 'Picture', and then you can see my problem screenshotSorry for the inconvenience.Can you tell me what should I do for next steps?Thank you....
  3. Files aren't backed up in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files aren't backed up in Onedrive: Onedrive cannot upload my files You need to press 'Picture', and then you can see my problem screenshotSorry for the inconvenience.Can you tell me what should I do for next steps?Thank you....
  4. Where is the file location of files not backed up by onedrive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is the file location of files not backed up by onedrive.: Hello.This is a long story but I will summarize.Had a 3 year old laptop that was working fine. Got a notification from Intel SSD toolbox that the SSD was failing despite basically having no real wear. Intel support confirmed this. I stick the SSD in another Windows 10 pc to...
  5. cost for onedrive 1TB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cost for onedrive 1TB: I need to share database and support files from two different PC's that run the same software but use the same files on a OneDrive cloud. We have two locations in separate States that need to operate the software from one location or the other. only one location is active at...
  6. Backing up External SSD to NAS

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up External SSD to NAS: I have an external SSD that I use for my data file and I'd like to set up automatic backup to my NAS drive. When I go into Settings>Backup and try to add folders from the SSD as the source, I get the following error "Sorry, but that didn't work. Error code 0x80070032." My...
  7. simple nas for photo back ups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    simple nas for photo back ups: hello, im after recommendations on the essayist and cheap way to automatically save photos mainly from my households phones, ideally something like a hard drive that connects to my router so when were home our phones will transfer any new photos taken to the hard drive...
  8. OneDrive: Backing Up Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive: Backing Up Issue: As you know, my HP (Hewlett-Packard) Desktop consumes large amounts of data due to me editing pictures and saving them to a folder on it. But somehow OneDrive has gotten a hold of my files and it's backing up those saved pictures and files from Adobe which is causing my...
  9. Back-up files on an a usb to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Back-up files on an a usb to OneDrive: So my PC currently backs up all my files on my C: drive (desktop, photos, etc.) and keeps everything in sync as it should. But is there a way to add folders on my D: drive so they automatically back up and keep in sync with one drive? The main reason: I download a lot of...
  10. Retrieving OneDrive Back-up Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Retrieving OneDrive Back-up Files: I was using Microsoft Onedrive on my laptop to backup and sync certain folders and files. It was working okay. Then the hard drive crashed on the laptop so I can no longer boot up that device. I want to retrieve the backed-up data. If I go to the www.onedrive.live.com...