Windows 10: Issues while installing Windows Subsystem for Linux 2

Discus and support Issues while installing Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm running build 18945.1001. I installed Windows Subsystem for Linux from the store as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PaulBarbee, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Issues while installing Windows Subsystem for Linux 2

I'm running build 18945.1001. I installed Windows Subsystem for Linux from the store as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10. I can go to the store, click Debian, click Launch and get a Bash terminal. I rebooted, ran Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName VirtualMachinePlatform, the system automatically rebooted. I then ran wsl and PowerShell responds Windows Subsystem for Linux has no installed distributions.

Distributions can be installed by visiting the Microsoft Store:

https://aka.ms/wslstore

I tried installing from within PowerShell by following the instructions at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-manual. I ran Invoke-WebRequest -Uri https://aka.ms/wsl-ubuntu-1604 -OutFile Debian.appx -UseBasicParsing

I downloaded the Debian appx file. I ran Add-AppxPackage DebianGNULinux_1-1-3-0_x64__76v4gfsz19hv4.Appx

PowerShell still claims there are no installed distributions. I can run Debian from the Start menu. How can I install WSL 2 and run it from within PowerShell?

***Original title: Cannot install WSL 2***

:)

PaulBarbee, Jul 29, 2019

2. Windows Subsystem Linux

Hello,

We would like to know more about the issue you're experiencing with using
    Windows Subsystem for Linux
    . Kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you developing a program, an app, or a software for Linux?
    • Is your Window 10 PC connected to a domain?
    • Are you managing a Windows Server PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Can you tell us the Version and OS build of your Windows 10 device? You can find this information by clicking the
      Start button, type About your PC, and then press
      Enter.

We need the following information in order to determine if we need to refer your concern to the
    TechNet forums or the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) forums.

For now, we suggest reviewing these support articles to find out if there's an issue with the installation of
    Windows Subsystem for Linux:

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Jul 29, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Issue with installing linux subsystem.

Hi,

This error while installing Linux subsystem might popup if the PowerShell environment isn’t run as an administrator. I suggest you to run the Windows PowerShell window as an administrator and see if it helps. To run a PowerShell window as an administrator;
    right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose Windows PowerShell (administrator).

If that doesn’t help, restart the Trusted Installer service and set the startup type to automatic.

· Press ‘Windows + R’
    keys on the keyboard together to open the Run dialog box and type the following into the Run box:
    services.msc

· Locate the Trusted Installer
    service, restart it, and set the startup type to
    automatic.

· Exit services control panel and restart the machine to see if the issue persists.

However, if the issue persists, I would suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet Forums
    , where we have support professionals well equipped with the knowledge on Windows Subsystem for Linux.

Additional Info:

Troubleshooting Windows Subsystem for Linux

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jul 29, 2019
  4. Issues while installing Windows Subsystem for Linux 2

Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)

Can anybody know when ''Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)''
    is expected to launch?

Debabrata Ganguly, Jul 29, 2019
Thema:

Issues while installing Windows Subsystem for Linux 2

1. Issues while installing Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 - Similar Threads - Issues while installing

2. cannot install Windows Subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot install Windows Subsystem for Linux: I am using Windows 11 OS build 22631.3155 on a desktop PC. I was using Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL about two years without problem. I did a Windows Reset to remove malware and now WSL does not work. If I click on Start > Ubuntu the error message is...
  3. cannot install Windows Subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot install Windows Subsystem for Linux: I am using Windows 11 OS build 22631.3155 on a desktop PC. I was using Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL about two years without problem. I did a Windows Reset to remove malware and now WSL does not work. If I click on Start > Ubuntu the error message is...
  4. Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 - Addressing Traffic Routing Issues

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 - Addressing Traffic Routing Issues: The Problem So recently I was trying to run some kubectl commands using WSL2 to my home K8S cluster and encountered some strange events. Everything had worked fine when using WSL but for some reason I could now only ping external devices to my laptop (Router, Switch, Printer...
  5. Issue with installing linux subsystem.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue with installing linux subsystem.: Hi, I was trying to isntall linux subsystem through powershell, and when I tried to use "Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName VirtualMachinePlatform" command, I get a following error, Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : Feature name VirtualMachinePlatform is...
  6. Linux Subsystem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Linux Subsystem: So i have downloald Linux Terminal from Microsoft Store i have turned on the developer options but the last thing i need to do is to turn on Linux Subsystem. I tried to turn it on from PowerShell by typing the followin command Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online...
  7. How to install Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to install Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]WSL 2 or Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 is an iterative update to Windows Subsystem for Linux 1. Being so much better than WSL 1, it is obvious that one must upgrade to WSL 2. That is what we will [...] This post How to install Windows Subsystem for Linux 2...
  8. Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2): Can anybody know when ''Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2)'' is expected to launch? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-subsystem-for-linux-2-wsl2/c6045de9-7177-4290-89bb-afe853adaa94
  9. New Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2) Linux kernel with Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2) Linux kernel with Windows 10: Today we’re unveiling the newest architecture for the Windows Subsystem for Linux: WSL 2! Changes in this new architecture will allow for: dramatic file system performance increases, and full system call compatibility, meaning you can run more Linux apps in WSL 2 such as...
  10. Issue Enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue Enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux: When trying to enable WSL in the Windows Features window, I get an error message saying: "The referenced assembly could not be found. Error code: 0x80073701" I've tried to do enable the feature in both the command prompt and PowerShell, but it provides the same error,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows subsystem for linux cannot be installed on version 1909 of windows 10

2. add-appxpackae wsl l no installed distributions