Windows 10: Issues while putting PC to hibernate mode

Discus and support Issues while putting PC to hibernate mode in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; To make things clear at the beginning: The system hibernates fine if manually invoked. I am using the advanced power options to set the system on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Gunnar Bernstein, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Issues while putting PC to hibernate mode

To make things clear at the beginning:

The system hibernates fine if manually invoked.

I am using the advanced power options to set the system on Stand-by after 30 Minutes and to hibernate after 45 Minutes. This used to work fine until update 1803/1809. After that its sometimes hibernates, but most of the times it runs the night through. Currently on 1903.

It does not even work if I use small times like hibernate after 2 minutes.

Is there a way to read a log, why the system is not hibernating?

In the Event Viewer I only have "Microsoft Windows security auditing". Hundreds of entries in a single night. But even that is happening more than 2 minutes apart.

***Original title: Windows 10 does not activate hibernation after set idle time***

:)

Gunnar Bernstein, Nov 7, 2019

2. Issues with the Sleep mode and Hibernate in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I see that even if you are placing the PC in sleep mode or hibernate mode the PC will turn back On after some time. This might be due to the corruption in Power management settings.

I would suggest you to disconnect the TV from computer and check if the issue persists. If the issue does not persists then you can move further with the below troubleshooting steps.

I suggest you to try running the Power Troubleshooter to check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Run the Power troubleshooter on the system.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Power troubleshooter
    Further you can try creating a new power plan according to your preference. Refer the link below for more details on Power Plans.

Power Plans: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

(Steps in the article, applies to Windows 10).

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Battery drain in hibernation

This is a volunteers forum. We cannot fix anything for you!

I would start by taking these steps:

1. Put Windows into hibernation.
    2. Get it out of hibernation.
    3. Check the time stamp of the hidden file C:\Hiberfil.sys. Does it reflect the time when you took Step 1 above? If it does not then the machine was not in hibernation.
    4. Before going to bed, make a note of the battery charge.
    5. Switch the machine off and unplug the power cord.
    6. Next morning, before plugging in the power cord but after turning it on, make another note of the battery charge. If there is a noticeable discharge then you have a leaky battery or a problem with the motherboard. Windows can't be the culprit because it
      was off all night.

Frederik Long, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Issues while putting PC to hibernate mode

"Shutting Down" to "Hibernate"

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Check for the device drivers status in Device Manager.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Check if any of the drivers have warning message(Yellow triangle with exclamatory mark).

Step 2: Start the computer in Safe mode, try to shutdown and check if the sleep mode/ hibernate is working fine.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Try the above and reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Issues while putting PC to hibernate mode

1. Issues while putting PC to hibernate mode - Similar Threads - Issues while putting

2. Cant turn off my PC or put it to sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant turn off my PC or put it to sleep/hibernation: Hi!For a while now my PC cant turn off completely as it will just restart as soon as it turns off, same if i put it on sleep mode or hibernation mode. I have tried reinstalling OS multiple times but its doesnt help. I have narrowed it down to being my connected devices waking...
  3. Cant turn off my PC or put it to sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant turn off my PC or put it to sleep/hibernation: Hi!For a while now my PC cant turn off completely as it will just restart as soon as it turns off, same if i put it on sleep mode or hibernation mode. I have tried reinstalling OS multiple times but its doesnt help. I have narrowed it down to being my connected devices waking...
  4. PC stays on when I put it into Hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC stays on when I put it into Hibernate: Hey all I'm having an issue with my desktop PC. I put it into hibernate but instead of turning off, it turns off my peripherals and the computer stays on. It stays on and won't let me use the keyboard/mouse to do anything, to which I then have to power it off by pressing...
  5. PC not re starting in hibernate mode

PC not re starting in hibernate mode: When I Hibernate my windows 10 pro PC, it ‘ shuts down ‘ hibernates as expected, but when it re satrts when wiken feom the keyboard, it does not return as Hibernate, but as thiugh it was simoly restarted. I camt fund the hybernate sys file in my boot HDD, so assume its not...
  6. Hibernate button disappeared and can't put PC to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernate button disappeared and can't put PC to sleep: Hi all, for the last month or so I haven't been able to switch on the hibernate option in the power settings and every time I put my computer to sleep, it stays on. Shutdown is also taking a really long time. Any idea where to start? submitted by /u/louissanderson57...
  7. Issues while putting PC to Sleep Mode

Issues while putting PC to Sleep Mode: Recently my Sleep option stopped working. I have it set to "Shut Down = Never" and "Sleep = After 30 minutes" Even if I manually shut down from the Start using sleep, it still shuts down. This is relatively new behavior and quite annoying. Thanks! ***Original title:...
  8. no hibernate mode

in Windows 10 Support
    no hibernate mode: Hello, For some weeks now, my PC (version 1809) will not sleep on it's own and if I set it to sleep, I find it awake later. If I leave for work or go to bed I have been shutting down just to ease my mind about what is happening. Why won't my PC sleep any more? Thanks! 149424
  9. BSOD After Putting PC in Hibernation Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD After Putting PC in Hibernation Mode: I've recently faced a BSOD mentioning the following “DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” after shutting the machine in hibernation mode and IDK whether this is normal if I left so many apps not closed or this is might indicate a driver malfunction or error. ,Unfortunately I...
  10. Hibernate mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernate mode: Hi all , how can I control the PC go to hibernate mode in 3 hours rather than sleep mode ? Thx 47288