Windows 10: Issues while putting PC to hibernate mode

Discus and support Issues while putting PC to hibernate mode in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; To make things clear at the beginning: The system hibernates fine if manually invoked. I am using the advanced power options to set the system on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Gunnar Bernstein, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Issues while putting PC to hibernate mode

To make things clear at the beginning:

The system hibernates fine if manually invoked.

I am using the advanced power options to set the system on Stand-by after 30 Minutes and to hibernate after 45 Minutes. This used to work fine until update 1803/1809. After that its sometimes hibernates, but most of the times it runs the night through. Currently on 1903.

It does not even work if I use small times like hibernate after 2 minutes.

Is there a way to read a log, why the system is not hibernating?

In the Event Viewer I only have "Microsoft Windows security auditing". Hundreds of entries in a single night. But even that is happening more than 2 minutes apart.

***Original title: Windows 10 does not activate hibernation after set idle time***

:)

Gunnar Bernstein, Nov 7, 2019

2. Issues with the Sleep mode and Hibernate in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I see that even if you are placing the PC in sleep mode or hibernate mode the PC will turn back On after some time. This might be due to the corruption in Power management settings.

I would suggest you to disconnect the TV from computer and check if the issue persists. If the issue does not persists then you can move further with the below troubleshooting steps.

I suggest you to try running the Power Troubleshooter to check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Run the Power troubleshooter on the system.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Power troubleshooter
    Further you can try creating a new power plan according to your preference. Refer the link below for more details on Power Plans.

Power Plans: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

(Steps in the article, applies to Windows 10).

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Battery drain in hibernation

This is a volunteers forum. We cannot fix anything for you!

I would start by taking these steps:

1. Put Windows into hibernation.
    2. Get it out of hibernation.
    3. Check the time stamp of the hidden file C:\Hiberfil.sys. Does it reflect the time when you took Step 1 above? If it does not then the machine was not in hibernation.
    4. Before going to bed, make a note of the battery charge.
    5. Switch the machine off and unplug the power cord.
    6. Next morning, before plugging in the power cord but after turning it on, make another note of the battery charge. If there is a noticeable discharge then you have a leaky battery or a problem with the motherboard. Windows can't be the culprit because it
      was off all night.

Frederik Long, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Issues while putting PC to hibernate mode

"Shutting Down" to "Hibernate"

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Check for the device drivers status in Device Manager.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Check if any of the drivers have warning message(Yellow triangle with exclamatory mark).

Step 2: Start the computer in Safe mode, try to shutdown and check if the sleep mode/ hibernate is working fine.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Try the above and reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Issues while putting PC to hibernate mode

1. Issues while putting PC to hibernate mode - Similar Threads - Issues while putting

2. hibernate mode failure

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    hibernate mode failure: hi, I have a problem using the hibernate mode in windows 10. When I hibernate my laptop, it reboots. I used to hibernate my laptop successfully but now that seems to fail. I have tried every possible way to fix it as suggested from various sites but non seems to work....
  3. Sleep and Hibernate mode restart

Sleep and Hibernate mode restart: How do I wake my desktop back up after I put it into Sleep or Hibernate mode? It seems I always have to completely restart my computer and I don't want that....
  4. BSOD After Putting PC in Hibernation Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD After Putting PC in Hibernation Mode: I've recently faced a BSOD mentioning the following “DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” after shutting the machine in hibernation mode and IDK whether this is normal if I left so many apps not closed or this is might indicate a driver malfunction or error. ,Unfortunately I...
  5. BSOD After Puttng PC in Hibernation Mode

BSOD After Puttng PC in Hibernation Mode: I've recently faced a BSOD mentioning the following “DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” after shutting the machine in hibernation mode and IDK whether this is normal if I left so many apps not closed or this is might indicate a driver malfunction or error. ,Unfortunately I...
  6. Charge in Sleep and Hibernation Modes

Charge in Sleep and Hibernation Modes: Can someone confirm if, when my laptop lid is shut but mains charger plugged in, battery charging still continues - either when in sleep or hibernation mode? (My settings are currently set to "sleep" when lid is closed.) Second, what is the difference between sleep and...
  7. Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode.

Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode.: I've verified the correct Settings, even run hardware troubleshooter. Any suggestions? DELL Inspiron 5555 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/closing-lid-does-not-put-pc-to-sleep-mode/aed5d80b-574d-4547-8b9a-f41a99e6030d
  8. Weird Hibernation issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Hibernation issue: Hello MS community, So I have a Sager NP2740, starting with Windows 8.1 and on Windows 10 I have this issue when the computer shutdown it does not actually shutdown but goes into hibernation. When I boot the computer the bios tells me "Resuming Hibernation". I did not have...
  9. Issues with hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues with hibernation: I've been encountering some issues with waking up from hibernation that have been driving me nuts for quite a while. So, my laptop used to hibernate perfectly with no issues but a month ago this issue appeared. Mainly, when I hibernate my laptop it works good. But when I...
  10. Hibernate mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernate mode: Hi all , how can I control the PC go to hibernate mode in 3 hours rather than sleep mode ? Thx 47288