Windows 10: Issues while sharing external drive over the network

Discus and support Issues while sharing external drive over the network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good day Please help. I have 2 external hard drives connected to one PC, I am using 2 PC's. I am trying to share folders between PC's. Trouble is,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DisriNieuwoudt. mnr, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Issues while sharing external drive over the network

Good day
    Please help.

I have 2 external hard drives connected to one PC, I am using 2 PC's. I am trying to share folders between PC's. Trouble is, the one ext hard drive I got shared as a whole - i.e. the hard drive d is fully shared, all content visible and accessible from PC 2. Hard drive f keeps giving a message "you don't have permission...", however, when I share individual folders in hard drive f, the individual folders are all fully accessible. What am I doing wrong?

Please help, the sharing settings on both hard drives are exactly the same.

Thank you so much

Disri

***Original title: Sharing a folder***

:)

DisriNieuwoudt. mnr, Aug 13, 2019

2. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Aug 13, 2019
  3. HP Pavilion Laptop not seeing External Hard Drives connected to Modem on Network

Hi Andy,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

As you are unable to access external hard drives connected to the modem on Network, this might be an issue with settings for device to discover.

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Turn on network discovery.

• Press Windows key, type sharing and click on Manage advanced sharing settings.
    • Under Private, Network discovery, check mark the option
      Turn on network discovery.

Step 2: If the issue still persists, run HomeGroup troubleshooter
    and check.

HomeGroup troubleshooter finds and fix problems with viewing computers or shared folders in a HomeGroup.

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane and click on HomeGroup.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 13, 2019
  4. Andy H 4 Win User

Issues while sharing external drive over the network

HP Pavilion Laptop not seeing External Hard Drives connected to Modem on Network

Hi Deepika,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, this has not fixed it. The settings were correct in the first part, and the Homegroup does not find any errors.

I hope you have more suggestions for me Issues while sharing external drive over the network :)

Regards,

Andy

Andy H 4, Aug 13, 2019
Thema:

Issues while sharing external drive over the network

1. Issues while sharing external drive over the network - Similar Threads - Issues while sharing

2. Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10: Hello. I have searched hundreds of articles it feels like. I've tried regedit, services, network settings for file share, right click to add permissions, etc. so here is there scenario. I have 3 computers+ a workstation at home. My workstation runs 24/7 for a game server +...
  3. Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10: Hello. I have searched hundreds of articles it feels like. I've tried regedit, services, network settings for file share, right click to add permissions, etc. so here is there scenario. I have 3 computers+ a workstation at home. My workstation runs 24/7 for a game server +...
  4. Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Share Folders over network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Share Folders over network: How do I prevent two or more persons to open the same file simultaneously on a share folder between computers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-folders-over-network/ec7229cb-8df6-4c92-ba1b-ff860c0fecfe
  6. Issues while accessing PC over network

Issues while accessing PC over network: I have 5 pc's on my network. Only 1 of them can't share. When I try to access that pc from any of the other 4 pc's I get a message. windows cannot access \\XXXXX you do not have permission to access \\XXXXX contact your local network admin to request access However,...
  7. Network drive sharing issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network drive sharing issues: Encountering "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different username and password" when trying to access my HTPC's shared HDD. However, I can connect to its shared SSD with a few minor issues (unable to access Program Files and similar). Both drives have...
  8. Issues while accessing PC's over network

Issues while accessing PC's over network: running a home network using a router/modem from cable co I've done all of the changes & settings in all post. running 3 computers with desktop I can see the computer hooked up to the router per ethernet & can access system & drive but when I try to connect the other...
  9. Issues while accessing PC over the network

Issues while accessing PC over the network: I just had Comcast install their home security system, including 2 cameras. Prior to that my system looked like this: An ethernet cable connected from desktop to the modem/router. My Ethernet connection was called ‘network 3’. My wifi was working perfectly: both laptops...
  10. Permission issues to access files shared over a network

Permission issues to access files shared over a network: From computer B, I don't have permission to access a path on computer A. However certain folders on computer A show up on computer B and are accessible. On computer A the folder has been set to share. Kaspersky on computer A has been temporarily disabled. Why are some...