Windows 10: Issues with Battery Life Estimate on a new laptop

Discus and support Issues with Battery Life Estimate on a new laptop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've purchased a new Dell XPS 13 a week ago, and the battery estimate setting has just been going haywire? It'll show 2 hr 45 min remaining on 95%,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jaime_231, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Jaime_231 Win User

Issues with Battery Life Estimate on a new laptop

I've purchased a new Dell XPS 13 a week ago, and the battery estimate setting has just been going haywire?

It'll show 2 hr 45 min remaining on 95%, then bump it up to 11 hrs at 92%, then it'll drop back down to 3 hours at 90%.

I've contacted Dell and they checked that there's no issues with the battery itself or hardware, so it's got to be an issue with how Windows estimates the remaining battery life.

I've also tried to reinstall the OS and going through a few charge cycles to let the laptop "learn" how long it lasts on a full charge, but the problem still persists.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? I'm concerned because I wasn't expecting issues like this on a pretty much brand new laptop, and Microsoft customer service hotline sucks I've been left on call for ages and no one picked up the call.

:)

Jaime_231, Apr 15, 2020

2. Battery life estimates wrong

Battery is in new laptop so I don't think its battery. I used a battery condition application which confirmed battery is at spec capacity. I begin this inquiry when other people in forums complained about new laptops that had similar issues. Can't believe
    they all had bad batteries. Fast Startup seems plausible given how it works. But it's interesting that even if its not a Windows issue, that it cannot correctly give a user a relatively accurate battery life report. I've had in the past used Mac's and even
    Linux desktop OS that gave better more accurate estimates. What good is a battery level status if it doesn't work?

jescott418, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Battery life estimates wrong

I have a Lenovo IdealPad and was reading a couple other forum questions about their laptops having battery estimate problems. These ranged from a loss of capacity after being off over night, such as mine losing over 15% even as the laptop was shut down overnight.
    To a rapid drop which serious affects the estimated time left of a charge. I mean for example if using my laptop and it estimates my life as say 60% which translates to 3 hours 40 minutes but then 15 minutes later I am at 50% and 2 1/2 hours left? Doing the
    same tasks and haven't changed brightness or anything?

This makes the battery estimates pretty much useless and how can I go from 87% capacity when I shut down my laptop to 70% capacity in the AM when I boot up? How can I loose over 15% capacity when the PC is off? Either some of us have some serious parasitic
    drains on batteries and/or we have some serious issues with Windows being able to determine battery capacity. I've used laptops for years and for the most part battery life estimates have always been pretty stable and accurate. But lately I have noticed that
    many laptops only show percentage left and not time left by default. Is this trying to conceal a inaccurate system? When I am charging my battery the estimates to full charge seem very accurate. So why are discharges so bad, that we now resort to percentages
    rather then time ?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures]

jescott418, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

OS battery life hours estimate question

If you Generate Battery Usage Report in Windows 10 the battery life estimates there are based on actual observed drain. I see no reason why the taskbar icon wouldn't be based on observed drain too.

Thema:

1. Issues with Battery Life Estimate on a new laptop - Similar Threads - Issues Battery Life

2. New battery has low battery life

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New battery has low battery life: I've just gotten a new battery around 5 months ago and I didn't remember to ask, but why does the new battery only last 2 hours when unplugged from fully charged?The amount of programs and brightness aren't affecting this, and my power plan isn't in high performance mode.Will...
  3. Battery Report Estimated Battery Life

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery Report Estimated Battery Life: Been kind of concerned with my Surface Laptop 3's battery life of late since it seems to drain faster than usual. Ran a battery report and saw that it's full charge capacity had dropped to around 39000 mwh with a design capacity of around 45000. Scrolled down to the...
  4. Battery Report Estimated Battery Life

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery Report Estimated Battery Life: Been kind of concerned with my Surface Laptop 3's battery life of late since it seems to drain faster than usual. Ran a battery report and saw that it's full charge capacity had dropped to around 39000 mwh with a design capacity of around 45000. Scrolled down to the...
  5. Why is my Battery Life Estimate so Inaccurate?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is my Battery Life Estimate so Inaccurate?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Imperator_Romulus476 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ktag7x/why_is_my_battery_life_estimate_so_inaccurate/
  6. Laptop battery life

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop battery life: My laptop stays always stay at around 28%. How can I move it higher up so that it will last longer without the power cord ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-battery-life/5e177013-db27-417b-b84b-b9a71ae490a6
  7. Battery estimate not shown

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery estimate not shown: Yet another case when someone decides for me what I need and what I do not. Suddenly they disabled battery life estimate. "you see it is just an estimate." A pretty accurate estimate, Big Bro, and much better than my guess! And, if I do not need it, there is an option to...
  8. laptop battery life

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    laptop battery life: If I am using my laptop mostly as a desktop, will it hurt my battery's overall lifetime if I leave it plugged in almost continuously? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-battery-life/aafec315-5acc-4837-b7f4-8671c54841c7
  9. Enable or Disable Battery Life Estimated Time Remaining in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Battery Life Estimated Time Remaining in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Battery Life Estimated Time Remaining in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Battery Life Estimated Time Remaining in Windows 10 The Power icon on the taskbar notification area is your battery level indicator for your Windows 10 device (ex:...
  10. OS battery life hours estimate question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    OS battery life hours estimate question: When off commercial power and on battery, is the 'time remaining' based upon the OS' experience with the installed battery/condition or simply based upon the time a certain spec battery 'should' last without regarding the actual health of the battery? Mark 92822