Windows 10: Issues with default "Documents" Folder

Discus and support Issues with default "Documents" Folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I'm at my wits end and am really hoping someone here can help! Windows appears to think my Pictures folder is my Documents folder. In the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by QDub23, Jan 24, 2019.

1. QDub23 Win User

Issues with default "Documents" Folder

Hello,

I'm at my wits end and am really hoping someone here can help!

Windows appears to think my Pictures folder is my Documents folder.

In the "This PC" shell, "Documents" no longer appears. Rather, I am seeing "Pictures" twice (picture below). Both instances of "Pictures" point to the same location on my hard drive: "C:\Users\[myname]\OneDrive\Pictures" (which is where I keep pictures). Based on the icon below, it looks like the first instance of "Pictures" should be "Documents".

A variety of Windows programs think that this first Pictures folder is the Documents folder and save documents to it.

I've tried editing the "Personal" entry at "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" but that doesn't fix the problem.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Issues with default "Documents" Folder 94f36af2-1353-4643-8ea8-ca288afcc600?upload=true.png

:)

QDub23, Jan 24, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 24, 2019
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Issue with default documents folder location

Hi Steven,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I will surely help you.

I suggest you follow these steps and check the location where documents folder is saved to.

a. Right-click on the document folder.

b. Click on Properties.

c. Under General Tab check the location.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Jan 24, 2019
  4. Raymund S Win User

Issue with default documents folder location

this does not solved the problem. Access denied still

Raymund S, Jan 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Issues with default "Documents" Folder - Similar Threads - Issues default Documents

2. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  3. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  4. New documents/folders/files are encrypted by default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New documents/folders/files are encrypted by default: I am using Windows 11 Pro PC came with Windows 10 Pro. One time I encrypted a file using the built in encryption that comes with pro versions of Windows. But now, any new document I create is encrypted by default, and I have to uncheck the encryption box. How do I stop new...
  5. Changing folder type default to Documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing folder type default to Documents: I work with a lot of media files music / video and jpgs and frequently when I set a folder with one of this I get a bunch of utterly useless column headings which relate to album or music tracks, whereas without exception what I actually need is documents folder view each and...
  6. Changing the Default documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the Default documents Folder: Hello. In my new PC my default documents folder is C:\Users\****\OneDrive\Documents and I would like to change it to just C:\Users\****\Documents as every app's document data is by default saved there and it slows down my connection when it uploads those files in the cloud....
  7. default "Documents" folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default "Documents" folder: Can someone help me change my default "Documents" folder setting? What happened, I believe, is that when I was first installing W10, I was happily clicking through the setup checkboxes, asking if you want this there and that here, and something else over in this place. At...
  8. Cannot restore default location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot restore default location of Documents folder: I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". How can I...
  9. Two documents folder issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Two documents folder issue: My computer came with OneDrive on it. Something I don't actively use, or so I thought. Whenever I save stuff to my computer, I always save it in the documents folder. If I go into the file explorer, it shows documents under This PC, that is where I save my stuff. One day I...
  10. Documents folder opens by default

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder opens by default: When I try to open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens the "Documents" Folder by default. I have to choose "Open" or "Open in New Window" to get it right. If I select "Open Windows Explorer" or double click on the folder, my Documents folder opens. I have reset every...