Windows 10: Issues with deleting files endless discovering, preparing for deletion

Discus and support Issues with deleting files endless discovering, preparing for deletion in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sometimes when I try to delete a file I get this feedback from Windows: [ATTACH] And this dialog goes nowhere; I tried waiting for 5 minutes or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TarkBike, May 18, 2020.

1. TarkBike Win User

Issues with deleting files endless discovering, preparing for deletion

Sometimes when I try to delete a file I get this feedback from Windows:

Issues with deleting files endless discovering, preparing for deletion 9f67b57d-e294-4964-9e55-8976c1c3ed4c?upload=true.png

And this dialog goes nowhere; I tried waiting for 5 minutes or so...

This is my computer HDD storage, not a cloud or some external usb device. I tried checking it for errors and fragmentation and no issues returned.

So far I encountered this problem with small files >10mb in opus and ogg format.

The deletion becomes available after OS restart.

:)

TarkBike, May 18, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Anything deleted during "Preparing to delete..." ?

Hi Marcaber

During the 'Preparing to Delete' stage, Windows is enumerating (creating a list) the files to be deleted. Rest assured, nothing is deleted during that stage of the delete operation . . .

DaveM121, May 18, 2020
  3. Anything deleted during "Preparing to delete..." ?

I wanted to delete a large quantity of files (several TB) and was presented with the "Preparing to delete files...." dialog. Then I changed my mind and cancelled this dialog. Since it was in the "Preparing to delete" stage: Was Windows just discovering items
    or already deleting in the background? This is important for me to know, because I have no way of knowing if the files are still all there.

Many thanks in advance!!

MarcaberAlright, May 18, 2020
  4. macbeth Win User

Cannot delete files in Temp

There are a few files that i cant delete in
    C:\Documents and Settings\1st User\Local Settings\Temp
    which are ~DF567B.tmp, ~DFB71E.tmp, ~ROMFN_000007A8 and Perflib_Perfdata_7a8.dat. And some times there are a few more.
    What are these files and why cant they be deleted?

macbeth, May 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Issues with deleting files endless discovering, preparing for deletion - Similar Threads - Issues deleting files

2. File Explorer kept deleting... and deleting... and deleting...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer kept deleting... and deleting... and deleting...: Can anyone tell me what Windows Windows 10 Enterprise was doing here?I tried to delete a large directory that contained an old backup of a project I'm working on. I kept getting "You must have administrator privilege" dialogs, which was odd, because the directory contained...
  3. Deletion of deleted user's files.

Deletion of deleted user's files.: I'm deleting the files of an account that I have recently deleted off of my computer, and I'm worried that the files will not be on the other computer the account is on, I just want to make sure that the files I am deleting won't be deleted on the other computer. And sorry if...
  4. Windows Ransomware Protection deleted my tax preparation file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Ransomware Protection deleted my tax preparation file: I e-filed my taxes using HRBlock 2020 tax preparation software for Windows. Afterwards I switched on the Windows Ransomware Protection feature. When I subsequently reopened the tax software to check on the status of my return, there was a pop-up from Windows Defender...
  5. Windows Ransomware Protection deleted my tax preparation file

Windows Ransomware Protection deleted my tax preparation file: I e-filed my taxes using HRBlock 2020 tax preparation software for Windows. Afterwards I switched on the Windows Ransomware Protection feature. When I subsequently reopened the tax software to check on the status of my return, there was a pop-up from Windows Defender...
  6. Search not discovering apps after deleting files in %appdata%

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search not discovering apps after deleting files in %appdata%: I was looking through my %appdata%, and deleted some files that were related to an app I uninstalled. I mustve accidentally deleted one thats important, beacuse the next thing I knew the wallpaper was gone. I restarted my computer hoping that whatever got deleted might get...
  7. how to delete chromium , byte and web discover

how to delete chromium , byte and web discover: sir i am aditya and i m not able to delete byte antivirus and web discover from my computer after deleting it from control panal i m not able to delete chromium also sir can you help me...
  8. wierd issue with deleted files

in Windows 10 Support
    wierd issue with deleted files: This doesn't happen every time i delete a file, but it happens pretty often. When i delete a file from the desktop to the recycle bin sometimes later on i will see it on the desktop again. Then i try and delete it i get a message saying try again and it never lets me. But the...
  9. Delete File - Permission Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete File - Permission Issue: Hi, I've read various forums, but I can't seem to delete file due to ownership permissions. I've right-clicked on the .exe, selected Properties, went to the Security tab, and clicked Advanced. However, the Permissions tab and Audit and Effective Access states that I don't...
  10. Anything deleted during "Preparing to delete..." ?

Anything deleted during "Preparing to delete..." ?: I wanted to delete a large quantity of files (several TB) and was presented with the "Preparing to delete files...." dialog. Then I changed my mind and cancelled this dialog. Since it was in the "Preparing to delete" stage: Was Windows just discovering items or already...