Windows 10: issues with drivers, can't install/uninstall devices, can't access 2nd hard drive etc

Discus and support issues with drivers, can't install/uninstall devices, can't access 2nd hard drive etc in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey all, I've recently upgraded some of my components (MoBo, CPU) and I reinstalled W10 onto an SSD. I kept my old hard drive and also have this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/proworks31, May 11, 2020.

1. issues with drivers, can't install/uninstall devices, can't access 2nd hard drive etc

Hey all,

I've recently upgraded some of my components (MoBo, CPU) and I reinstalled W10 onto an SSD.

I kept my old hard drive and also have this plugged in (this still has all the old Windows files etc. but it'sn't the boot HD), and I can't access any of the 'Users' files on here that has my data as it says 'you need access' and every time I press that it simply loads indefinitely. Any attempt to change the account permissions results in explorer.exe timing out/not responding.

I have tried disabling the 2nd hard drive in case that's the source of things not working, but that results in devmgmt crashing.

Attempts to install new drivers, either from online or devmgmt always stop working indefinitely around 80% of the way.

Troubleshooting doesn't work, again, it just loads indefinitely.

I attempted to reinstall Windows 10 from the recovery but this had the same issue as everything else — made it to 10% or so then paused indefinitely before crashing.

Another serious issue is that though they would work in BIOS, my keyboard and mouse wouldn't work when at the Windows login screen, and obviously I can't fix any drivers. It randomly started working when I pressed a bunch of buttons on my 5th or 6th restart, but its possible the next restart this issue will reappear.

There's clearly some issue with either corrupt Windows files, the way Windows installed or some registry/driver problems. The obvious solution I guess is to a). remove the 2nd Hard drive if that's causing the issue, or just create a new USB with windows on it and try installing again.

But any other solutions or ppl that have experienced this would be really helpful in case this doesn't work

thanks

submitted by /u/proworks31
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/proworks31, May 11, 2020

2. Unable to access external hard drive after Anniversay Update on Windows 10

Hello,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the hard drive?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to contact the device manufacturer's website, download the latest chipset drivers, install them manually and check if it helps.

Installing the latest chipset drivers will help you to install the drivers for USB ports.

Refer to the article by Andre Da Costa to install drivers in compatibility mode manually :
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of accessing external hard drive for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 11, 2020
  3. How do you uninstall chipset drivers?

I'm installing a new mobo so I need to uninstall the intel 865g drivers to make way for the P35 drivers.

Can't find any uninstall options in add/remove programs and intel chipset inst listed in driver cleaner.

Any suggestions? *Confused issues with drivers, can't install/uninstall devices, can't access 2nd hard drive etc :confused:

oli_ramsay, May 11, 2020
  4. issues with drivers, can't install/uninstall devices, can't access 2nd hard drive etc

Unable to access the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Alan,

As you are facing issues with accessing the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the drive?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Were you able to detect the device under Device Manager/ File Explorer?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 11, 2020
Thema:

issues with drivers, can't install/uninstall devices, can't access 2nd hard drive etc

1. issues with drivers, can't install/uninstall devices, can't access 2nd hard drive etc - Similar Threads - issues drivers can't

2. Can't seem to turn off BitLocker on 2nd hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't seem to turn off BitLocker on 2nd hard drive: Hello, I recently got a new PC which has Windows 11, and I took an old solid state hard drive out of my old Windows 10 PC to use as additional storage. It has all my photos and MP3s saved on it. I didn't realise but the drive has BitLocker enabled. I've got the Recovery Key...
  3. Can't seem to turn off BitLocker on 2nd hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't seem to turn off BitLocker on 2nd hard drive: Hello, I recently got a new PC which has Windows 11, and I took an old solid state hard drive out of my old Windows 10 PC to use as additional storage. It has all my photos and MP3s saved on it. I didn't realise but the drive has BitLocker enabled. I've got the Recovery Key...
  4. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  5. Can't access external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access external hard drive.: When I try to see movies that I have on the 1TB drive I get the following message.Virtual Disk Manager.Data error Cyclic Redundancy CheckIt doesn't show up in explorer so I can't even format it.Any suggestions.Thanks in advance.Peter....
  6. can't access external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can't access external hard drive: Hello, A few days ago I purchased a brand new Lenovo Ideapad laptop (Win ver 1909), and when I tried to transfer my files via my external WD hard drive, I could see the drive as a partition (don't remember how I found that) and I could hear it running, but it didn't show up...
  7. Can't install updates, drivers, etc. Multiple Issues...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't install updates, drivers, etc. Multiple Issues...: So I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but I have gone down a huge rabbit hole in trying to fix my computer issues and just discovering more and more issues. I am really hoping someone is able to help me with this, as I am not computer savvy. Happy to provide logs if you...
  8. Can't access hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access hard drive: Hi Im running w10 on an EliteBook. Local disk drive C with a capacity of 30gb is now full. There is a second drive New Volume D with 285gb capacity but despite switching where content is saved, this doesn't happen. I have tried formatting to no avail Anyone got any ideas....
  9. Can't access external hard drive

Can't access external hard drive: Yes, it is visible in Device Manager. Yes, the "best drivers" are already installed. Yes to every unhelpful "reply" from Microsoft LITTERED around this forum. Yet I still cannot open the drive. HOW DO I ACCESS MY EXTERNAL DRIVE?1?! This is clearly a known issues that you...
  10. Can't Access External Hard Drive

Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...