Windows 10: Issues with Dual boot menu not appearing when starting from a shutdown

Discus and support Issues with Dual boot menu not appearing when starting from a shutdown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Not sure if this is the best thread for this issue, but hopefully someone can help. I have a laptop which had Windows 7 installed on a normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Astro, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Astro Win User

Issues with Dual boot menu not appearing when starting from a shutdown

Hi,

Not sure if this is the best thread for this issue, but hopefully someone can help.

I have a laptop which had Windows 7 installed on a normal HDD and an SSD which I added after it was lying around spare. I then updated to Windows 10 via the free upgrade. Everything was working fine, and I decided to put Windows 10 on the SSD for quicker booting.

I did a clean install on the SSD using the Windows 10 installation media and everything now works fine until I shut down the laptop.

After powering on and seeing the Bios screen I then just get a black screen and the boot menu to choose which OS to boot off (Windows 10 is now installed on both the HDD and the SSD) does not appear.

A workaround is to go into the Bios after powering on and exiting the Bios without making any changes, then the boot menu appears as normal and I can log in to either installed OS. Also if I'm in Windows and restart then everything works as expected.

Although I have a workaround, it is not ideal and wondered if anyone had seen any issues like this before and whether there were any solutions.

I've tried the repair tools from the Windows 10 installation media., which said there was nothing to repair, and have tried swapping to the old text based boot menu, which had the same problems.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

:)

Astro, Jan 10, 2016
  2. Martmcd Win User

windows power button vanishes cannot power off

it is a known issue in release 14905 (is that what you are running?)

from announcement in feedback hub -

When clicking on the power button on the Start menu, it closes the Start menu without opening the flyout with restart/shutdown options appearing. As a workaround – you can right-click on the Start button (or WIN + X) and choose to shutdown via this menu
    instead.

Martmcd, Jan 10, 2016
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Power icon in no longer works. Windows 10

Known issue in Build14905 ?

insiderhub://announcements/d40c0d7d-5080-4bf5-86cc-72e1a4e06950?Source=ShareLink

When clicking on the power button on the Start menu, it closes the Start menu without opening the flyout with restart/shutdown options appearing. As a workaround – you can right-click on the Start button (or WIN + X) and choose to shutdown via this menu
    instead.

'Mike P, Jan 10, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Hello Astro, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

One of two things:
    - either the boot loader did not create separate entries for 2 identical OS's, or
    - the time-out may have been set to 0,
    Hold 'Shift' and press Restart to check the options.

Edwin, Jan 10, 2016
  5. sn00ker Win User
    Hi ... If you have an optical drive try setting that as your first boot option and see if that helps

sn00ker, Jan 10, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    This may help and have already touched upon by Edwin...............
    Right click at Start > select Run > type msconfig in the box > OK > click boot tab at top > under Time Out > set it at say, 30 seconds > OK when done.
    Reboot and see if you are given the choices now.

davidhk, Jan 10, 2016
  7. Astro Win User
    Hi again thanks for the help, but it appears to have been an issue with the SSD firmware. I updated it and now it seems to be working fine.

Astro, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Issues with Dual boot menu not appearing when starting from a shutdown - Similar Threads - Issues Dual boot

2. Issues with software not appearing on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with software not appearing on Start Menu: Hello,We have Windows 11 Edu Pro PC's, they were just Windows 10 Pro when purchased.We use Ergo Free2Teach network and classroom management software, we've had it since we were on Windows 7 back in 2009.I have noticed since Windows 10 that certain areas are not working...
  3. Issues with software not appearing on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with software not appearing on Start Menu: Hello,We have Windows 11 Edu Pro PC's, they were just Windows 10 Pro when purchased.We use Ergo Free2Teach network and classroom management software, we've had it since we were on Windows 7 back in 2009.I have noticed since Windows 10 that certain areas are not working...
  4. Not appearing start menu

in Cortana
    Not appearing start menu: Yesterday, i updated my windows 10 version 2004. when finished update and restart my laptop. After restart when i click start option i can't see program list because when i click start menu logo auto appear search option above start menu ! Even i am not seen shutdown option,...
  5. start menu not appearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu not appearing: so my problem is that windows start menu is completely invisible, it still functions i can open apps by typing the name of the application and it will run. i have tried: DISM scan which said to not reveal any corruptions , i have tried a similar scan in power-shell which...
  6. Shutdown from the start menu is slower

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shutdown from the start menu is slower: Recently there was an update which now forces the power button in the start menu to create an animation before allowing you to choose between "Sleep", "Shutdown", "Restart". This slows down the shutdown process by a second - not much but very annoying. Before it was:...
  7. KB4503294 unable to shutdown from start menu

KB4503294 unable to shutdown from start menu: KB4503294 install for Windows 10 version 14393.3053 has lost the options for Sleep, Shutdown, Restart, when clicking start and the power icon. Can still shutdown by right clicking on start or by using ctrl-alt-del....
  8. Shutdown from start menu now restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown from start menu now restarting: System is Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1607 build 14393.321. Ever since the latest cumulative update to this build, I find that about half the time that I select Shutdown from the start menu, I actually get a reboot instead. If I use the command line shutdown.exe -s instead,...
  9. Windows Will Not Sleep or Shutdown from Start Menu

Windows Will Not Sleep or Shutdown from Start Menu: Hello! I can't get my PC to go to Sleep, or Shutdown using any of the typically proper methods. When I try to shutdown the PC it starts to shutdown, screen goes black and then wakes back up to the login screen. I have gone through and disabled all of the devices that might...
  10. Dual Boot No Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot No Boot Menu: Ladies and Gentlemen I am in a new arena and need some help. I have been in the INI and BCD Arena but not the EFI MBR. I decided to go with a new motherboard and AMD RYZEN CPU. I set up the new system and moved my hard drives with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and Windows 8.1 Pro...