Windows 10: Issues with FLAC metadata and options menus on wmv

Discus and support Issues with FLAC metadata and options menus on wmv in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Win 10 Home user here (latest update as of this writing), currently in the process of ripping a 500+ music CD collection into FLAC files for personal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steinferd, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Steinferd Win User

Issues with FLAC metadata and options menus on wmv

Win 10 Home user here (latest update as of this writing), currently in the process of ripping a 500+ music CD collection into FLAC files for personal use. So far i'm frustrated and disappointed with WMV's way of garbling up the metadata on FLAC files, apparently on purpose.

The problem looks like this: When i load the cd for ripping, metadata is properly displayed during all the ripping process (album, artist, etc, everything). But when i access the library to check the new tracks, i keep finding that random tracks got wrongly assigned either to

a: Some obscure compilation that same track may have appeared at some point in history.

b: Same, but the track name is also changed.

c: Some completely unrelated track by some completely unrelated artist (ex. "Enter Sandman" by Metallica becomes "Snort This" by the Happy Clowns or whatever).

As you might expect, the process of constantly hunting down and manually editing misplaced files that landed on random spots for every single disc in a constantly growing library becomes increasingly time consuming, frustrating and angering, to the point it's making me google for open source alternatives (I'll gladly take suggestions at this point). Especially if that metadata was read correctly in the first place, which only makes me conclude this is a feature instead of a bug, intended to make users migrate away from the universal format in favor of their "new" proprietary one (which does NOT render the same sound quality, trust me i'm an audiophile). I presume this has no issues, just like regular wma doesn't have them either, but i refuse to invest in their lesser format- sorry.

A secondary issue appears when displaying options menu for the ripping process (stumbled upon this while trying to find a fix for issue #1). A lot of the time, options menus are displayed inside a small window that cuts out a lot of the information, with no way to enlarge or scroll to the missing info. This is a beginner's mistake, honestly speaking, and it points to sloppy coding and generally little interest in their product's quality.

:)

Steinferd, Sep 6, 2019
  2. IsaacDaly Win User

FLAC metadata support

What is the metadata support like in Windows 10 for FLAC metadata? At the moment an edited subtitle tag for a FLAC file, which was done in WMP, does not show up when the file is synced over OneDrive to another device. Is the full range of the WMP tags going
    to be available for Windows?

On a side note, is metadata like subtitles be available in the Groove Music app?

IsaacDaly, Sep 6, 2019
  3. Windows 10 October Update - FLAC metadata cut off

Hi,

I have recently updated my computer to the October Update. However, I have noticed that after ripping some of my discs to FLAC, some of the metadata gets cut off (e.g. "American Beauty/American Psycho" gets cut off as "American Beauty/American P" instead).
    This did not happen while I had the April 2018 update, and editing the metadata does not work as it only cuts the metadata again.

Shown below are two albums I ripped into FLAC that have the issue. I hope the issue gets fixed soon.

Issues with FLAC metadata and options menus on wmv d3ebb2f8-3247-45e9-9c51-c26002d26b7e?upload=true.png

Thanks.

System specs:

Intel Core i5-7500

16GB RAM

240GB SSD + 3TB WD Red + 2TB WD Blue

SATA Optical drive

Windows 10 Pro October Update

Lumia 625 user, Sep 6, 2019
  4. Issues with FLAC metadata and options menus on wmv

Window 10 File Explorer cannot properly display the metadata for FLAC files

Window 10 File Explorer seems not able to display the metadata (e.g., Title, Contributing Artist, Album Artist, Album, etc.) of some FLAC files, the contents get truncated, blanked out, or replaced with other funny character. I can see the problematic metadata
    are populated with the correct details in my other audio playing application. This problem seems to be limited to the FLAC files only, and only happen recently in Window 10 File Explorer.

Below are my current Windows specifications:

Edition - Window 10 Home

Version – 1809

OS build - 17763.503

Does anyone know how to fix the issue?

Patrick

Patrick_Yeung, Sep 6, 2019
Thema:

Issues with FLAC metadata and options menus on wmv

1. Issues with FLAC metadata and options menus on wmv - Similar Threads - Issues FLAC metadata

2. selecting last option in menus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    selecting last option in menus: I'm aware that someone already has asked this however in that thread there was no concussion or fix for the problem.In any New system menu or in the photos app the last option in the menu is selected and cannot be unselected.here is the last thread...
  3. selecting last option in menus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    selecting last option in menus: I'm aware that someone already has asked this however in that thread there was no concussion or fix for the problem.In any New system menu or in the photos app the last option in the menu is selected and cannot be unselected.here is the last thread...
  4. selecting last option in menus

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. WMV File Issue Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WMV File Issue Windows 10: I recently discovered that my PC currently running on fully updated as of 2-18-21 version of Windows 10 will only play audio of .WMV files with a black screen. This occurs on all apps including Windows Media Player, Movies&TV, and Photos. My PC will play MP4 files and 3GP...
  6. Flac metadata

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Flac metadata: I have some Flacs that need some metadata edited but win10 can't? Mp3s can be edited just fine but Flacs are a no-go? Edit: It also can't even read the length of the Flac submitted by /u/THEK4I [link] [comments]...
  7. Explorer won't show metadata from FLAC files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer won't show metadata from FLAC files: [ATTACH] The title sums it pretty much. I include an image for clarification. Is it possible to fix it? How? Note how MP3 work perfectly submitted by /u/thmasker [link] [comments]...
  8. Truncated FLAC metadata in Windows 10 LTSC 2019

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Truncated FLAC metadata in Windows 10 LTSC 2019: I'm running Windows 10 LTSC 2019 and all my local FLAC metadata are truncated to 25 or 26 bytes. I am sure it is not a GUI truncation and Windows Update could not fix it. Does Microsoft have any plan to fix this? Or is there any workaround?...
  9. Window 10 File Explorer cannot properly display the metadata for FLAC files

Window 10 File Explorer cannot properly display the metadata for FLAC files: Window 10 File Explorer seems not able to display the metadata (e.g., Title, Contributing Artist, Album Artist, Album, etc.) of some FLAC files, the contents get truncated, blanked out, or replaced with other funny character. I can see the problematic metadata are populated...
  10. Windows 10 October Update - FLAC metadata cut off

Windows 10 October Update - FLAC metadata cut off: Hi, I have recently updated my computer to the October Update. However, I have noticed that after ripping some of my discs to FLAC, some of the metadata gets cut off (e.g. "American Beauty/American Psycho" gets cut off as "American Beauty/American P" instead). This did not...