Windows 10: Issues with local account password

Discus and support Issues with local account password in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have an issue with my account on my PC. When I look at the account under manage my accounts the account shows up as a Local Account, but when I... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Jo Novice, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Jo Novice Win User

Issues with local account password

I have an issue with my account on my PC. When I look at the account under manage my accounts the account shows up as a Local Account, but when I attempt to convert it to a Microsoft account under Accounts there is no option to do so. It looks like a Microsoft account already and only offers options to manage my Microsoft Account. The added issue is that the local account password appears to be corrupted so I cannot do anything with this account. Any suggestions on what might have happened and how to address it?

***Modified title from: Password Sync***

:)

Jo Novice, Jul 3, 2019
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jul 3, 2019
  3. Forgot Local Password

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and reset the password for the local account and check.

• Login in to your Microsoft account.

• Press Windows logo key + X key.

• Select Computer Management.

• Click on Local user and group.

• In the right window pane, double click on user’s folder.

• Right click on local user account and select set password and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jul 3, 2019
  4. Issues with local account password

Forgot Local account password

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you as you do not remember the local account password, we will help you with this issue.

Kindly let us know if you have Microsoft account on your computer.

If so, I suggest you to log-in with the Microsoft account and change the password for the local account.

Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key, type Settings
      and press Enter.
    • Then click on Change PC settings.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click
      Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap Accounts, and then click Sign-in options.
    • Tap Change your password and follow the instructions.

For reference: Passwords in Windows: FAQ

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

Issues with local account password

1. Issues with local account password - Similar Threads - Issues local account

2. Local Accounts Forgotten Passwords

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Accounts Forgotten Passwords: I will describe my situation as best I can. I don't know what I did to get into this situation. Please be gentle with me. I'm not 25 anymore and in the intervening years since I was 25 I have killed a lot of braincells as decribed in the Baggar Vance movie. I am a one man...
  3. Local Accounts Forgotten Passwords

in Windows 10 Support
    Local Accounts Forgotten Passwords: I will describe my situation as best I can. I don't know what I did to get into this situation. Please be gentle with me. I'm not 25 anymore and in the intervening years since I was 25 I have killed a lot of braincells as decribed in the Baggar Vance movie. I am a one man...
  4. Forgotten Local account password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgotten Local account password: Hi , I forgot my local account password on my laptop ,, how can i change it ,, as no option for forgot password ,, can you help thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgotten-local-account-password/dc5c1f71-6ad9-499d-a51c-1735b2dbb1b6
  5. Local account password on PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Local account password on PC: I just want to change the password to login to my user profile on my home PC. The password is not currently the same as that account's associated Microsoft password, but to change the login password it only gives me the option to change the Microsoft password, not the local...
  6. Password reset for local account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password reset for local account: I changed the password on a local account and can not log in. How can I reset it if I can not get past the sign on screen? If I try the reset password option, it tells me to insert a USB drive. I did not set up the computer in the beginning, and no reset disc was made. Can I...
  7. Reset Local Account Password

Reset Local Account Password: After a power glitch, Windows did not recognize my local password anymore Although I have been able to login using my Microsoft account password, I would like to be able to login locally again. How to achieve that? I have only found ways to reset the Microsoft account...
  8. Local Account - Password Required

Local Account - Password Required: Someone Help Me??? During the Local account changing process(From Microsoft Account). I have changed my username from existing one to new one and i leave the password fields as empty. After the completing the process. i restarted my laptop and i try to re-login. Now password...
  9. Lost password (local account)

Lost password (local account): Hello - I have been using a local (non-microsoft) account to sign in to my laptop. I set a four digit pin a few months ago because it's easier to remember and use - however - I have forgotten my actual password. *Sad A month or so ago, I attempted to use the 'netplwiz'...
  10. Local Account Password changed

Local Account Password changed: Hi, I have linked my Windows 10 app store to a BT provided email address. After rebooting it has asked me to login. It has changed my local account from my name to my BT email address and asking for a password. This is not my normal password and has seemed to link my BT...