Windows 10: Issues with long file paths

Discus and support Issues with long file paths in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a file with a path that begins with \\?\ which is causing a lot of issues with programs. It's a video file and VLC won't play it, etc. I already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/recordlow, May 14, 2020.

1. Issues with long file paths

I have a file with a path that begins with \\?\ which is causing a lot of issues with programs. It's a video file and VLC won't play it, etc. I already have LongPathsEnabled in the registry. Is there any way to get long paths to look normal or is it just up to the other programs to deal with it?

submitted by /u/recordlow
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/recordlow, May 14, 2020

2. Explorer support for zip files with long file paths

I suggest you try Long path tool is the very good program for easily delete, copy & rename long path files, error, unlock solution.
    Try it and solve your problem.
    I used long path tool and I solve my error, unlock problem solution.

Randy_Vran, May 14, 2020
  3. NAT
    Nat Win User
    Is it risky to enable long file paths on Windows 10?

Windows 10 has an option to allow for longer file paths (background). Is it risky to enable this option?

I ask because I've heard mixed comments about how there can be bugs related to long file names.

From a recent (2016-07-30) MSDN blog post:

• A comment:

• The response:

Another question on SuperUser (2016-08-17) seems to suggest that there're known issues.

Question: Does enabling long file paths increase the risk of file loss or corruption on Windows 10?

4. Issues with long file paths

Add a path to $PATH?

what exactly do you need to decipher about that path line? also, what are you installing? perhaps i can help.

Easy Rhino, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Issues with long file paths

1. Issues with long file paths - Similar Threads - Issues long file

2. Long Paths

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long Paths: Greetings, I have a problem with long paths in Windows 11 Pro When I try to move a file or folder from SharePoint to OneDrive, I edited LongPathsEnable in Registry and GPedit, but I got no result... After that, I downloaded Directory Opus like File Explorer and the issue's...
  3. Long Paths

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Long Paths: Greetings, I have a problem with long paths in Windows 11 Pro When I try to move a file or folder from SharePoint to OneDrive, I edited LongPathsEnable in Registry and GPedit, but I got no result... After that, I downloaded Directory Opus like File Explorer and the issue's...
  4. LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer: Hi,I'm sorry to write this.Half of the world suffers from it for many years:LONG PATH DOES NOT WORK IN Windows 10 File Explorer"Microsoft Windows has a MAX_PATH limit of ~256 characters. If the length of the path and filename combined exceed ~256 characters you will be able...
  5. LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer: Hi,I'm sorry to write this.Half of the world suffers from it for many years:LONG PATH DOES NOT WORK IN Windows 10 File Explorer"Microsoft Windows has a MAX_PATH limit of ~256 characters. If the length of the path and filename combined exceed ~256 characters you will be able...
  6. LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  8. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  9. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  10. File long path in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    File long path in Windows 10: I had a Windows 10 installation with some folders full of documents, I reinstalled the system and went to copy my backup documents back in place, but now I get a filepath length error. I use Home Edition, so I tried a few registry hacks from here and here, without success,...