Windows 10: Issues with MSR Partition

Discus and support Issues with MSR Partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm trying to update Windows 10 (build 1809) to the latest build 18890 in 20H1. I'm getting errors stating that it can't write to the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DR-525, May 8, 2019.

1. DR-525 Win User

Issues with MSR Partition

Hi all,

I'm trying to update Windows 10 (build 1809) to the latest build 18890 in 20H1. I'm getting errors stating that it can't write to the system reserved partition, which I am aware was deleted some time ago. I haven't had any problems with Windows until this. Attached are some screenshots showing the problem.

Thanks for your help! Issues with MSR Partition c4bd2c74-d0ff-4879-8119-ace5e2ca511a?upload=true.png Issues with MSR Partition 21e2487c-a144-43c4-9d3a-90ab8ed02fe2?upload=true.png Issues with MSR Partition aff330db-fc47-43ca-b278-93848cb25572?upload=true.png

:)

DR-525, May 8, 2019

2. Expanding EFI partition and moving MSR partition.

I would like to install Mac Os on this device. However I am limited by the size of the EFI partition. Mac Os requires at least 200mb. I have only 100mb. So I resized the Windows partition to leave 100mb unallocated. However I can't extend the EFI partition
    because there is a MSR partition in the way. https://puu.sh/rFbsz/e52c847706.png

I know both the EFI and MSR partition and very much required partitions for proper functioning and it is better to not mess with it. But I have to get the EFI to 200mb. So how to move the MSR partition. I am pretty familiar with DISKPART or other GUI based
    partition managers.

https://puu.sh/rFbsz/e52c847706.png

Aadithye Nandakumar, May 8, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 8, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

No MSR partition after converting from MBR to GPT a while back?

Yes, we will rebuild the whole thing.

Here's the steps:
    1. Copy this code and save it in a file called: EFI.txt to an external HD.
      IMPORTANT: The code uses Disk 0 on first line, make sure you use the same disk #, if not, change it.
      select disk 0
      clean
      convert GPT
      create partition primary size=499
      format quick fs=ntfs
      set id=DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC override
      gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
      create partition primary size=99
      format quick fs=FAT32
      set id=C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B override
      create par MSR size=16
      list par
      exit
    2. Download Macrium Rescue disk ISO.: MacRescue.iso - Google Drive
      build a bootable USB, use: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
    3. Boot up the PC with the USB. NOTE: there are 2 boot up modes: USB-XXX and UEFI-USB-XXX
      Since your Windows is GPT, Must use: UEFI-USB-XXX
    4. Make a complete backup image of your current Windows Disk 0 including D: partition to the external HD.
      (Click on image this disk)
      IMPORTANT:
      Make sure you verify the image
    5. Next, Click on the command icon on the bottom left to open the command windows then type:
      diskpart /s Drive:\EFI.txt where Drive is the the drive letter of the external HD.
      This will create the 1st 3 partitions: 500MB Recovery, 100MB EFI System, 16MB MSR
    6. Go back to Macrium Windows, click on Backup tab, click on Refresh
    7. Next, click on Restore Tab and select the backup image created in step 4
      Select the destination disk (Disk 0)
    8. Drag the Cdrive from top row and drop to the empty space next to 16MB MSR, then drag D: and drop next to C:
      Click next->Finish
    9. Once restore completed. Click on "Fix Windows Boot problem". Follow the screen to rebuild the BCD.
    10. Reboot

You should have: 499 MB Recovery, 99 EFI System, 16MB MSR and C drive + Drive (16MB MSR is hidden from Disk Management)
    Here's a screen shot without Drive D since I only have Windows partitions on disk 0

Issues with MSR Partition [​IMG]

At this point your Windows Recovery Environment is broken, we will fix that next.

If you have any question. Please ask !!!

topgundcp, May 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Issues with MSR Partition - Similar Threads - Issues MSR Partition

2. What is the process of recovering from deleting the recovery, efi and msr partitions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the process of recovering from deleting the recovery, efi and msr partitions?: Rather than reinstalling I want to learn about Windows utitlities and the Command Line. I'm assuming that between the 3 partitions that I removed, the recovery partition is the least necessary. I haven't tried to restore it. Here's what I've done so far to recreate the efi...
  3. Missing MSR partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing MSR partition: I have performed a new installation (with new motherboard, processor and SSD) of Windows 10 Professional (from an installation USB created today using the Download Tool on the Microsoft website). The installation appeared to go smoothly, but only the primary partition...
  4. lockbit.SA!MSR

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    lockbit.SA!MSR: I am infected by lockbit.SA! MSR on an accounting server la sauvgarde also infects a solution ????? It is very serious to close the company if I do not find a solution I am French I will use a translator...
  5. After W7 to W10 upgrade - 2 MSR partitions

After W7 to W10 upgrade - 2 MSR partitions: I recently helped someone upgrade their system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 remotely. They are now running Windows 10 1909. Looking a Disk Management there are now 2 MSR (OEM Partition). [img] I do not recall creating the EFI System partition or the MSR partitions when...
  6. Can I delete the MSR 128mb partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I delete the MSR 128mb partition?: The title says it all. In addition, I have 1903 but this partition is on my hard disk from ages. it is the Microsoft Reserved Partition, and it is exactly 128mb. Can I safely delete it? 134772
  7. How to move Windows 10 MSR partition

How to move Windows 10 MSR partition: I have a Chuwi dual boot tablet I upgraded to Win 10 Pro 1709 that fails to upgrade to 1803 - not enough room. Online at Chuwi I found directions to successfully remove the android install and freed up 10.65 GB, but it is now before the Win 10 MSR partition that I can't move...
  8. WHY MSR PARTITION IS CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10

WHY MSR PARTITION IS CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10: what is MSR partition? I visited Wikipedia website https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition , I seen 128MB will created for msr partition , but in my laptop I manually created 16MB . Now my question is , why Microsoft recommends create...
  9. How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition ?

How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition ?: How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition of a GPT partitioned disk ? display shown by a partition software; [img] After RE partition 128 MB unallocated partition is already prepared, as one can see its status is none How to set and specify it as...
  10. Need Help Restoring EFI and MSR Partitions

Need Help Restoring EFI and MSR Partitions: Hello, I think that for some reason, my EFI and MSR partitions were not located on my main Windows drive. When I installed linux mint on a separate drive, Windows refused to boot. I did the usual linux chain of debugging like boot-repair and update-grub but I don't...