Windows 10: Issues with saving after deleting onedrive

Discus and support Issues with saving after deleting onedrive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I uninstalled OneDrive, and now when I try to save anything to my desktop, I get the error message "The directory name is invalid." It shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CBoyd19, May 7, 2021.

1. CBoyd19 Win User

Issues with saving after deleting onedrive

Hello, I uninstalled OneDrive, and now when I try to save anything to my desktop, I get the error message "The directory name is invalid." It shows that the path I'm using to save is C:\users\clair\desktop\filename. How can I fix this issue? If I save something in a folder on my desktop, it works just fine, but if the doc itself is on the desktop, I get that error message.

:)

CBoyd19, May 7, 2021

2. Utilities that I run can no longer automatically save files to my OneDrive

Hi Alan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To set OneDrive as your default location to save your documents and files, follow the below steps.

1. Click on the OneDrive icon from the Taskbar area > Click on the menu button (three-dots) on the top-right corner > Click on
      Settings > Go to the Auto Save tab.
    2. Using the drop-down menu, select OneDrive for
      Desktop
      , Documents, and Pictures and click on
      OK.
    3. Once you complete the above steps, restart the computer once and try saving the files generated from utilities and check if it is saving in
      C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\Documents folder.

If you are still facing the same issue, then I suggest you to contact OneDrive support for further assistance on this issue by following the below steps.

• Login to
      https://onedrive.com/
    • Click the ? Help icon on the top banner of the page.
    • Select Email OneDrive support for the further assistance.

Shafeeq_Khan, May 7, 2021
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, May 7, 2021
  4. Issues with saving after deleting onedrive

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, May 7, 2021
Thema:

Issues with saving after deleting onedrive

1. Issues with saving after deleting onedrive - Similar Threads - Issues saving deleting

2. syncing and deleting OneDrive issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    syncing and deleting OneDrive issue: For a while now I've had some old-school files stuck on my computer from OneDrive for a while I forgot about them until they started to get in the way and take up room. I cannot delete them at all, I can't access the school info anymore and I can't log into the drive. The...
  3. syncing and deleting OneDrive issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    syncing and deleting OneDrive issue: For a while now I've had some old-school files stuck on my computer from OneDrive for a while I forgot about them until they started to get in the way and take up room. I cannot delete them at all, I can't access the school info anymore and I can't log into the drive. The...
  4. syncing and deleting OneDrive issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. onedrive saving issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    onedrive saving issues: using word thorugh one drive but it hasn't saved on of yesterdays work. Ive tried looking at unsaved files and version history and yesterday is not there.anyone know anything else i can try?...
  6. onedrive saving issues

onedrive saving issues: using word thorugh one drive but it hasn't saved on of yesterdays work. Ive tried looking at unsaved files and version history and yesterday is not there.anyone know anything else i can try?...
  7. Delete OneDrive Folder Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete OneDrive Folder Issues: I unlinked my account from OneDrive and uninstalled it but still OneDrive folder is in my users folder C:\Users\user\OneDrive and when I try to delete it, it takes my Documents and Desktop. Please Help....
  8. Delete OneDrive Folder Issues

Delete OneDrive Folder Issues: I unlinked my account from OneDrive and uninstalled it but still OneDrive folder is in my users folder C:\Users\user\OneDrive and when I try to delete it, it takes my Documents and Desktop. Please Help....
  9. Save to OneDrive !

Save to OneDrive !: I am a little confused regarding saving stuff to OneDrive. I have added the Video folder to OneDrive but I have to choose either Video or OneDrive Video when saving in PowerPoint etc. After I have finished a presentation I would like to save on my laptop and a back up in...
  10. Saving files on OneDrive deletes thumbnails

Saving files on OneDrive deletes thumbnails: Good day, I use a 3D modelling software called Revit, which creates a preview thumbnail of the current view when you save, which can then be viewed from Windows Explorer so that you have a preview of the model file before opening it: [ATTACH] However, when I save these...